Headgasket's & High Mileage Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems the oil in a Subaru boxer engine is "soaking" the headgaskets when the engine is turned off. Some opinions are that this may contribute to headgasket oil leaks due to the older, acidic oil chemically affecting the headgasket material.
So the question is " has anyone thought of using high mileage oils claiming gasket sealers (e.g. Valvoline MaxLife, Castrol High Mileage, Mobil 1 High Mileage, etc.) as a preventative?"
Would appreciate opinions.

Mods (this is my first post..hope I'm in the right place. Move as necessary)>

Subaru boxer engine have well-known problems with their head gaskets. They leak both coolant and oil externally. Subaru has a fibrous stop-leak coolant additive they recommend (insist on?), but there isn't a similar oil additive that would work.

"High mileage" oils have seal swellers and conditioners that soften and expand some types of elastomers. It's unlikely that they would have an effect on typical head gasket materials.

Originally Posted By: number_41
It seems the oil in a Subaru boxer engine is "soaking" the headgaskets when the engine is turned off. Some opinions are that this may contribute to headgasket oil leaks due to the older, acidic oil chemically affecting the headgasket material.
So the question is " has anyone thought of using high mileage oils claiming gasket sealers (e.g. Valvoline MaxLife, Castrol High Mileage, Mobil 1 High Mileage, etc.) as a preventative?"
Would appreciate opinions.

Mods (this is my first post..hope I'm in the right place. Move as necessary)>

Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic Blend. MAYBE Full Synthetic. EXCELLENT "Sealer Oil."

This is an inherent flaw in this engine.. GGood Performance, but simply a Design Flaw.

Originally Posted By: flacoman
That'll buy you a month or two , but you need to get a set of Cometic HG's and be done with it

Mine has Fel-Pro idont have a Subaru but my Gasket IS a Fel-Pro not a "No Name."

Does that Subie use a MLS (Multi Layer Steel) Gasket as HG?

Fel-pro's are good for domestics , Cometic makes a bunch of MLS that hold up very well on Japanese cars. My turbo Subie guys swear by them. One engine tossed a (stock)rod at about 460HP but the headgasket lived. Note : this was at about 26PSI boost!

For head gaskets leaking oil try Bars Leak Rear Main Seal Repair or one of the White Shepherd products. Both manufacturer's offer technical support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back