boric acid with grease....

Status
Not open for further replies.
What grease can i use to mix in some boric acid,so that friction is cut down? Anyone try this? Are there already greases that contain this? I want this for wheel bearings.

I would try anything like this unless you are familiar with the scientific method and have an organic chemistry degree.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I would try anything like this unless you are familiar with the scientific method and have an organic chemistry degree.
don't you mean "don't"?

Is there some general sense that commercially available wheel bearing grease is somehow inadequate in that it lacks boric acid?

And what are you cruising that does not have sealed wheel bearings (just out of interest).

Just trying to cut down friction to see if mileage goes up a hair.Now,I'm not implying i will get gains,just thought i'd try it.I sometimes will drive 400-600 miles straight.If it gave me a little more mpg,I'd be happy

Quote:
I would try anything like this unless you are familiar with the scientific method and have an organic chemistry degree. don't you mean "don't"?

Yes. Can't you guys read my mind? We'll neither can I!
21.gif
crazy2.gif

What I am trying to say is that most greases, like motor oils, are already formulated and tested with a specific set of additives, so please don't upset the cart by messing with them.
18.gif

Sorry, you are not going to see any improved mileaage from it.

Last edited:
Most of the friction is in the seals, I'm guessing >95%. Remove the seals and you'll dramatically cut down friction losses.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Just trying to cut down friction to see if mileage goes up a hair.Now,I'm not implying i will get gains,just thought i'd try it.I sometimes will drive 400-600 miles straight.If it gave me a little more mpg,I'd be happy
Probably you would be better off using a light syn wheel bearing grease like M1 for example.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Most of the friction is in the seals, I'm guessing >95%. Remove the seals and you'll dramatically cut down friction losses.

+1

Wheel bearing operate in the hydrodynamic regime most of the time so boundary FM may not have much effect.

The base oil and other factors will be much more important.

I'm using Amsoil 2000 in my bearings and am happy with it.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Elastohydrodynamic.

True enough. However, most of what I have researched with EHD films has been with gear teeth.

Back at uni I was fascinated with the polarised light stress table for visualising stresses in components.

Gears were my fave.

PMFJI but boric acid is what I use for flux when brazing. Not sure I'd want to mix it with wheel bearing grease. I think the rolling resistance of wheel bearings themselves is inconsequential compared to tire rolling resistance, brake drag and as someone mentioned, seal friction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back