How to keep wheels from seizing onto hubs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday, I took off my regular 16" black steel wheels with snow tires mounted on them, to put back 17" OEM Infiniti wheels with all season tires on our G35 since it does not look like we will be getting any more blizzards this season.

After taking off the wheel lug nuts, 3 of the wheels were seized onto the hub and would not come off. It took me 2 hours to get the wheels off while the car was on a jack. I had to bang on the wheels from under the car in order to them off.

What anti-seize can I put on the hubs next time before winter hits to prevent my winter wheels from sticking so badly?

Last edited:
Anti-seize. Really there is a product called Anti-seize. A couple people make it, most stores have there own brand of it. It comes in a little bottle with a brush applicator and its really great stuff. We would use gallons of it with big trucks. I use it all the time for just about anything I assemble. Just paint the hub with it. It stays put it wont run off or make a mess. You'll love it.

Last edited:
we don't have the harsher conditions that you go through.
But I usually put a thin coat of anti-seize on the face of the hub.

Use any anti-seize after cleaning all the rust off.

VW also has a special spray wax they use for that purpose. Spray wax VW P/N D-322-000-A2. I've never used it, just seen it mentioned in my shop manual.

When i got my VW Jetta it had lived in Wisconsin for 2 years and I had to beat the wheels off of it. I finally loosened the lug nuts a few turns and jabbed the brakes while moving the car back and forth in the garage.

Here's a tip I found works for removing seized wheels on my Saab:
Loosen all the lug nuts on the wheel 3 or 4 turns and jack car up from diagonally opposite corner. You will be exerting a lot of force on the seized wheel this way and it should break loose and be retained by the loose lug nuts.
It works like a charm and saves you from bodily harm beating your wheel while its up on the jack.

lol that reminded me of going to do a wheel bearing. went to pull off the brake rotor and half the bearing came with it!!

never really had a problem with it, but the light coating of anti seize sounds like a good idea.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: qship1996
Wouldnt you really be putting it on the rotor hat?

You're right. It is the rotor hat.

I usually put the anti-sieze on the back of the wheel with more open designs so its only where the wheel is contacting the hub/hat.
I actually have found alloys the worst for this. Probably due to the different metals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
I usually put the anti-sieze on the back of the wheel with more open designs so its only where the wheel is contacting the hub/hat.
I actually have found alloys the worst for this. Probably due to the different metals.

This has never happened on my OEM alloy's and has never happened on my winter steel wheels. Maybe due to the blizzards we had this year, they rusted on. We had 30" of snow here this year and the Blizzak's did wonderful on the RWD car.

anti-seize works great,i use it on the rear axle where the brake drum contacts it so they don't rust on.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss

This has never happened on my OEM alloy's and has never happened on my winter steel wheels. Maybe due to the blizzards we had this year, they rusted on. We had 30" of snow here this year and the Blizzak's did wonderful on the RWD car.

It does not happen often but when they do they tend to be the worst. I think since you are removing them a couple times a year they are not really getting a chance to sieze unless the conditions are really bad.

It does not happen often but when they do they tend to be the worst. I think since you are removing them a couple times a year they are not really getting a chance to sieze unless the conditions are really bad.

I'm guessing this year, was pretty bad. They never did that before. Been using them in the winter since 2004 when the vehicle was bought.

I'll put anti-seize on before next winter. Thanks for the replies.

Before you apply sauce, clean the hub and wheel surfaces.
Corrosion and dirt have to be removed.
Now your wheel will seat straight and true, and not have gunk to make is stick.
Anti seize is OK, as is plain old wheel bearing grease.
I have had better success with synth wheel bearing grease.
It seems to prevent water intrusion and corrosion better in the long run.

since it does not look like we will be getting any more blizzards this season.

Why are you jinxing the weather???

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back