Auto-RX vs. Marvel Misery Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: RedByrd
All things being equal, I've seen too much regarding AutoRX to consider its use in my cars (heck, see above). As people around NC tend to say, something stinks up the creek with it for me.

Regardless of that, MMO has the advantage of being available and cheap, and the price is what decides it for me...

You have seen a bunch of flamers and haters for the most part. The product works and unlike a lot of products there are TONS of studies, pictures and reports to show it. Just on this site there are a ton of success stories with documentation and pictures.

Have you ever heard of a guy named Terry Dyson? Unlike the average joe that is 90% of the posters on this forum, he is a professional and it is his job to fully analyze an oil's performance. He has made several comments on this topic and his opinion/knowledge carries far more weight than just about anyone on this site. There are a few experts on this site but from what I can tell, none of them are running around bashing Auto-RX.

Just to reiterate, ARX isn't a miracle drug. It doesn't fix mechanical issues. It doesn't clean something that is clean. It is expensive. It doesn't change an oil's chemistry. It isn't for everyone. It does work.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Gary Allan did some extremely high-dose testing with MMO in the Gas tank using a modern 4.0 Jeep if I'm not mistaken. Far beyond the 4oz. recommendation. I think it turned his sparkplugs red. You might PM him about it.

Yes. I added about 1/2 gallon to a 20 gallon tank. I also did the first, via proxy ..twice..a double dose of Auto-Rx.

With the MMO in the fuel: NO bad and only GOOD drivability side effects noted ..other than the vapor trail behind the minivan. Side note: 2 quarts of ATF were also included. One bump starting was the most noted side effect. No problem with emissions.

When heads were pulled: Plugs and valve intake valve backs were covered in a soft soot. I don't know if this would have slowly gone away ..or carbonized/coked in place.

No UOA was performed. The experiment was only to prove what did NOT happen. The cat didn't die. The O2 sensor stayed functional. There was no apparent, at least in the short term with a 150k+ engine with OEM cat "You'll shoot your eye out, kid" aspect to using this stuff in fuel. Again, no UOA to indicate if phos content was elevated.

Auto-Rx: Nothing but good results where MMO and other agents have failed (same engine). Double dose experiments yielded worthwhile data with the best being dnewton3's restored compression on a perfectly clean engine that had suffered an overheat earlier in its life.

I would (personally) use no other product for internal engine cleaning. I will use it as a prophylactic every 75k or so. It remove a moly slug in my 2.5 engine that had been there leaching moly for over (iirc-I was just looking at early UOA's) about 40k when no moly was in the oil.

While I would entertain that some will get no results with Auto-Rx, I can't imagine any product working for everyone. That said, I give little to no merit to anyone who criticizes the product for its performance. They may not like its price ..but ..so? However there would surely be just cause if someone did not care for Frank's handling of himself on the message board. The two can't seem to be divorced from each other.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

Just to reiterate, ARX isn't a miracle drug. It doesn't fix mechanical issues. It doesn't clean something that is clean. It is expensive. It doesn't change an oil's chemistry. It isn't for everyone.

+1 Same is true for MMO. A lot of success stories for MMO as well as some nice UOA reports with the addition of MMO. It is not designed for extended drain OCI though. Many of us have used MMO for decades with great results, A-Rx has a loyal customer base as well. Both products have their bashers. Do your homework, ask questions and make an informed decision based on that. After having used both products I go back to MMO, and recommend that. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back