Transgo 4T65E Shift Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone installed one of these kits before? The instructions are pretty lame... for the 1-2 piston, it "shows" that I should put all three springs in there, but I would think these three springs would bind up with each other. I can't find any information on this online. Can anyone help?

Thanks for the link, I would have never found that to save my life. I am still confused though, according to one of those pictures, it appears that both pistons have the "plain" "white" and "red" springs on each one. My instructions say to install the plain, white, and red springs on the 2-3, and only plain and white on the 1-2. That leaves me with a yellow and red spring that don't get used. I'm also assuming that I reuse the stock springs that go above the piston, and I need to make sure I don't get those mixed up.

I have a W-body store shift kit in the Regal. It has the thin diameter spacers and a few stiffer springs. It didn't have any springs for the upper part just for lower part. I think the colors are most likely related to stiffness. If the new springs are the exact same diameter as the stock springs on the bottom then leave stocks ones out. I believe I have 1 large spring and 1 smaller spring inside of the larger one for the BOTTOM.

As I said, I reused the top springs. I did add the spacers to the top and bottom per "medium" shift firmness in the W-body store instruction. I was disappointed in the kit though. My car didn't shift much different. I have the pressures upped using a laptop tuner so that may be why I didn't notice much.

P.S. this is a perfect time for Dex 6 trans fluid and filter. Stock GM gasket is reusuable, just wipe with a rag (no chemicals) and reuse it.

Hope this helps,
Chuck

Last edited:
Yes, I just got 8 quarts of Dex 6... I am not trying to get it to shift like a performance car, I'm just doing this to HELP keep the long shift problem from happening as often. I don't want to pay $600 to have the PCM replaced to have it fail on me again a year later. The max adapt shifting doesn't happen very often, but I'm hoping this kit will help keep it from happening as often as it does now. Thanks for the help. I think I understand what needs to be done. I saw another write up from someone who installed an Intense shift kit, I think it is pretty much the same kit as the Transgo, and I was able to see that they used the plain, white, and red for the 2-3, and just the plain and white for the 1-2. I just wanted to make sure I knew how to do this kit before I took everything apart.

Your welcome, I believe Intense's kit uses the Transgo kit and adds a few more finishing touches. Goodluck on it, take your time. The instructions from grandprix.net helped me out to pay attention to the rubber O-ring.

Good luck!!!!!

Thread revival... I finally got around to installing it today. If you are driving the car under light throttle, you can't even tell the kit is in there. If you give it part throttle, you will feel the shifts. This kit is great! No max adapt shifting as of yet.

My understanding is that the max adapt/long shift (P1811) is due to a faulty PCS(I guess the Delphi part is easily scored). My 4t45e had issues with this, though a new MAF sensor seems to have cured it, no codes in a year!!!

Wolf... the shift kit claims to "band aid" fix this problem by making 1-2 and 2-3 shifts firmer. When my PCM binds up and causes the gears to shift sloppy, the fact that the better springs I put in there will firm up the shifts just enough so it won't activate Max Adapt. If the $30 PCM part was easily accessible, I would replace it everytime it breaks, but I don't want to spend $600 to get it installed and then end up breaking again 20,000 miles later, like some have claimed to have happened after they replaced theirs. I drove my car around all day today and haven't gotten it to do max adapt yet, but I'm sure in the summer it will happen, but like I said by doing this kit I hope to keep it from happening as often.

If the Pressure Control Solenoid has been replaced and people are still getting the long shift code, something else is causing it. On certain Gm cars, the MAF can cause the long shift while not throwing a MAF DTC, which was my case.

A shift kit may not help, as the PCS controls fluid pressure in the tranny and valve body. When the PCS is worn, you are not getting proper pressure, so the long shift happens.

From what I understood, those who have replaced the PCM had no problems for a couple of years, then it would happen again. Also from what I read, the shift kit should help this because if you are changing the mechanics of the shift, making it shift a little bit harder without the help of the PCM, if the PCM were to slack up a bit, the stiffer springs might overcome that enough to not set it off. Now that I have learned about all this, before I put the shift kit in, I could pretty much determine when my car would max adapt. After driving for a while 1-2 would get real sloppy, then max adapt would kick in. So far with the kit in, 1-2 has been a healthy shift, even under part throttle, where you can actually feel it shift now.

With the MAF, how do you go about fixing that problem? Also, this max adapt doesn't occur very often on my car, I just want to try to prevent it from doing it as much as I can.

Originally Posted By: Ryan

With the MAF, how do you go about fixing that problem? Also, this max adapt doesn't occur very often on my car, I just want to try to prevent it from doing it as much as I can.

Just change it out. Mine would set the DTC usually accelerating up hill, or some other kind of increased load. The updated PCS should not fail again, GM has updated it in 2005 or 2005 IIRC. The shift kit may help, but with reduced line pressure, what else is experiencing increased wear/slippage. From what I have read, the shift kit works about 40% of the time, as it can help improve shift timing, but not always. People like the kits because it is fairly easy to install.

There is a TSB for the updated PCS part. The 4t45e and 4t65e both had issues with the PCS.

http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1g/bl895g.htm

The

I thought they updated the PCM for the 03's and up, but they are not backwards compatible. I have a take home car so I don't drive my car that much, and I'm too cheap to replace the part. I will see how it acts later down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back