Oil Filter that meets Dodge warranty requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
What oil filter should I use that will work with my '09 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L?
Will the MC 830S meet the requirements?
Thanks,
Jack

I wouldn't worry about an oil filter invalidating the warranty. I would get a good filter for the money. It's hard to beat Purolator for the price. Motorcraft are good too. If it is the one listed for your application I'd run a MC.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
What about a Mopar filter?

Of course, if you use a Mopar filter, you won't void the warranty

Originally Posted By: B1gJack
What oil filter should I use that will work with my '09 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L?
Will the MC 830S meet the requirements?
Thanks,
Jack

It is against the law for Dodge to void your warranty just because you used an aftermarket filter. By law they have to show the aftermarket part directly caused the failure to deny coverage in which case you would need to go after the filter mfg( see below ). IF they require you use ONLY oem parts to preserve your warranty they must be provided free of charge. This is covered under the Magnuson-Moss act from the 1970's. Dodge does not do this however and there is no problem with an aftermarket filter( don't let some service writer at the dealer try and snow you and tell you otherwise!!!! ).

Now, with that said, you need to use the correct filter by application or you can open up a can of worms and a loop hole for them. Use the filter # specifically for your vehicle from whatever brand you want. Don't use a bigger/different filter even if it fits and works ok while under warranty or you "could" have some issues. Use the filter # that mfg specifies for your vehicle.

If the filter itself fails and causes engine damage the car mfg will not repair it under the factory warranty. They will tell you to go after the filter mfg. They are not liable for damages caused by aftermarket parts. This is another reason to use the correct part # by application or the filter mfg will try and get out of it using that as their loop hole.

The chances of that happening are very slim however as long as you avoid cheap filters and use a quality one. Don't put a $0.99 no name filter on there, and IMO, avoid cheap brand name ones like Fram. You can get a quality filter for $4-$6 for your truck. You can get a MOPAR filter for like $5 and they are good for 5-7K OCI's and there will be no warranty issues for you. There are tons of quality filters out there for you that are in that price range = Wix/Napa Gold, Purolator/Bosch, Hastings, Baldwin, AC, Motorcraft, etc...

Starting in 2008 Dodge swapped from a 3/4-16 thread to a 22X1.5MM thread on the 4.7L and 5.7L so it is a different filter than earlier models used for so long( make sure the parts guy gives you the right one - some stores still haven't caught on ). The correct Motorcraft filter # for your application is FL820S not 830 just FYI( I don't think they even have an 830? ). MTC filters are very good filters although your poor truck will probably gag and puke with something Ford on it.
33.gif
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
What about a Mopar filter?

The Mopar for my Jeep is a rebadged Pureone. Not sure if they make all the Mopars now....they use to be Frams not too long ago.

Hmmm, if Dodge has a bulletin out about oil filters and their use, they can deny your warranty if your not using an "approved" oil filter...just to set the record straight.

Not that it applies to your Hemi, but there is a bulletin about "approved" filters and their use on the Dodge CTD that was issued back in the late 90s...and they did deny a lot of owners engine warranty if it was proven to be the filter that caused the engine failure and you didn't have an "approved" filter installed. Most failures cost the owner in the neighborhood of $12k, and most notably; a lot were caused by Fram filters.

Search the diesel forums if you don't believe me...most of it took place around 98/99/00.

IMHO, I would stick with a quality name-brand filter, a couple dollars saved is nothing compared to the headaches if you ever need servicing done...one less question to be raised. Plus, most reputable filter manufacturers will stand behind their product in the event there is a problem.

Originally Posted By: deeter16317
Hmmm, if Dodge has a bulletin out about oil filters and their use, they can deny your warranty if your not using an "approved" oil filter...just to set the record straight.

Not that it applies to your Hemi, but there is a bulletin about "approved" filters and their use on the Dodge CTD that was issued back in the late 90s...and they did deny a lot of owners engine warranty if it was proven to be the filter that caused the engine failure and you didn't have an "approved" filter installed. Most failures cost the owner in the neighborhood of $12k, and most notably; a lot were caused by Fram filters.

Search the diesel forums if you don't believe me...most of it took place around 98/99/00.

IMHO, I would stick with a quality name-brand filter, a couple dollars saved is nothing compared to the headaches if you ever need servicing done...one less question to be raised. Plus, most reputable filter manufacturers will stand behind their product in the event there is a problem.

That involved filters with neoprene internals coming apart and causing damage to older Rams with the 5.9L diesel engines. That particular problem would not be covered anyway, regardless of the engine/application, because the filters came apart. Even if you had one of the filters that was causing that problem however Dodge could ONLY void coverage if it could be shown the filter directly caused it. They can't just automatically void coverage on any engine problem because you use filter brand XXX. Obviously with that well known issue it would be easy to prove if the problem was the known issue but other than that they can't say you didn't use an approved filter so warranty is void. That is not legal. They can't tell you what brand filter to run unless they give it to you free.

Dodge provided a list of safe filters to use that did not have the problem construction in a TSB. They did use approved in the wording at one point but if you read the entire TSB you will see recommend appear which is the correct wording. They can't make you use any brand unless it is provided free. If you have a failure and it is the filters fault they can back out but again that applies all the time with any aftermarket part. That issue became so common however, like oiled air filters and the GM MAF issues, Dodge put out a TSB on it.

Not an issue for the guy with the 5.7L.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

That involved filters with neoprene internals coming apart and causing damage to older Rams with the 5.9L diesel engines. That particular problem would not be covered anyway, regardless of the engine/application, because the filters came apart. Even if you had one of the filters that was causing that problem however Dodge could ONLY void coverage if it could be shown the filter directly caused it. They can't just automatically void coverage on any engine problem because you use filter brand XXX. Obviously with that well known issue it would be easy to prove if the problem was the known issue but other than that they can't say you didn't use an approved filter so warranty is void. That is not legal. They can't tell you what brand filter to run unless they give it to you free.

Dodge provided a list of safe filters to use that did not have the problem construction in a TSB. They did use approved in the wording at one point but if you read the entire TSB you will see recommend appear which is the correct wording. They can't make you use any brand unless it is provided free. If you have a failure and it is the filters fault they can back out but again that applies all the time with any aftermarket part. That issue became so common however, like oiled air filters and the GM MAF issues, Dodge put out a TSB on it.

TSB 09-004-01

Date: May 18, 2001

Models: 1989 -1993 (AD), 1994 - 2001 (BR/BE) Ram Truck

NOTE: THIS BULLETIN INVOLVES 1989 - 201 MY 2500 AND 3500 RAM TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH A 5.9L CUMMINS DIESEL ENGINE.

Discussion:

Customer may complain of high oil consumption, grey oil smoke coming out of the exhaust or breather tube, or mechanical knocking. Neoprene compounds used internally in the manufacture of oil filters not recommended by DaimlerChrysler may separate from the filter, lodge in the piston cooling nozzle, and can fail the engine.

NOTE: THIS IS NOT AN ENGINE DEFECT.

(See the table below for a list of filters recommended by DaimlerChrysler for use with the 5.9L Cummins diesel engine.)

NOTE: SECTION 2.7 OF THE TRUCK WARRANTY MANUAL STATES DAIMLERCHRYSLER MOTORS CORPORATION IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR FAILURES RESULTING FROM IMPROPER REPAIR OR THE USE OF PARTS WHICH ARE NOT GENUINE DAIMLERCHRYSLER MOTORS CORPORATION / MOPAR OR DAIMLERCHRYSLER MOTORS CORPORATION / MOPAR APPROVED PARTS. DAMAGES CAUSED BY THE USE OF OIL FILTER NOT APPROVED BY DAIMLERCHRYSLER MAY NOT BE COVERED BY THE NEW VEHICLE WARRANTY. DAIMLERCHRYSLER RECOMMENDS THE FOLLOWING OIL FILTERS. DO NOT USE ANY OIL FILTER CONTAINING NEOPRENE. PLEASE SHARE THIS WITH YOUR CUSTOMERS.

RECOMMENDED OIL FILTERS FOR USE WITH CUMMINS 5.9L DIESEL ENGINE:

Part Number Manufacturer
05016547AC Mopar
LF3894 Fleetguard Stratopore
LF3552 Fleetguard Microglass
LF3949 Fleetguard Cellulose
3937695 Cummins Cellulose
FL896 MotorCraft Cellulose
L45335 Purolator Cellulose
PF1070 AC Delco Cellulose

Policy: Information Only

Notes:

The LF3349 Cellulose filter does not appear on this list. It was approved in the past for 12Valve engines, but it has been superseded by the LF3949, which has a stronger metal case for the 24 Valve engines. You can use your existing LF3349's for 12 valve engines without concern about warranty coverage.

What does this TSB mean?
If you use one of the filters in this list, you will not have to worry about warranty coverage of an oil related engine failure. If you choose to use another filter that is not on the list, DC will (justifiably) make you pay for repairs if a piston cooling nozzle becomes clogged by a piece of filter material. Some filters have disintegrated resulting in severe engine damage. When this happens, you must seek compensation from the manufacturer of the filter (numerous reports of Fram failures have surfaced recently, and Wix filters damaged some 1st Gen engines back in the 90's). If the manufacturer is standing behind their product, they will pay for the repairs. GOOD LUCK! Is saving a few bucks on an oil filter really worth the risk of a $4000 repair bill? Your decision...

Not mentioned in the TSB, but a valid reason for denial of warranty coverage is damage caused by foreign material introduced into the oil filter by the person changing the oil. You can not expect a manufacturer to pay for engine damage caused by carelessness during an oil change, that kind of damage is not due to a manufacturing defect! Anything in the center of the filter goes directly into the oil galley when the engine is started. When you open an oil container and pre-fill the oil filter, be very careful that you do introduce into the center of the filter any of these into the filter:

* dirt or debris from your hands or the work area
* a bit of sealing foil from the top of the oil container
* plastic shavings from the oil container
* plastic or paper from the oil filter wrapping or container

Excuse me..."Recommended".

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

TSB 09-004-01

Date: May 18, 2001

Models: 1989 -1993 (AD), 1994 - 2001 (BR/BE) Ram Truck

NOTE: THIS BULLETIN INVOLVES 1989 - 201 MY 2500 AND 3500 RAM TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH A 5.9L CUMMINS DIESEL ENGINE.

Discussion:

Customer may complain of high oil consumption, grey oil smoke coming out of the exhaust or breather tube, or mechanical knocking. Neoprene compounds used internally in the manufacture of oil filters not recommended by DaimlerChrysler may separate from the filter, lodge in the piston cooling nozzle, and can fail the engine.

NOTE: THIS IS NOT AN ENGINE DEFECT.

(See the table below for a list of filters recommended by DaimlerChrysler for use with the 5.9L Cummins diesel engine.)

NOTE: SECTION 2.7 OF THE TRUCK WARRANTY MANUAL STATES DAIMLERCHRYSLER MOTORS CORPORATION IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR FAILURES RESULTING FROM IMPROPER REPAIR OR THE USE OF PARTS WHICH ARE NOT GENUINE DAIMLERCHRYSLER MOTORS CORPORATION / MOPAR OR DAIMLERCHRYSLER MOTORS CORPORATION / MOPAR APPROVED PARTS. DAMAGES CAUSED BY THE USE OF OIL FILTER NOT APPROVED BY DAIMLERCHRYSLER MAY NOT BE COVERED BY THE NEW VEHICLE WARRANTY. DAIMLERCHRYSLER RECOMMENDS THE FOLLOWING OIL FILTERS. DO NOT USE ANY OIL FILTER CONTAINING NEOPRENE. PLEASE SHARE THIS WITH YOUR CUSTOMERS.

RECOMMENDED OIL FILTERS FOR USE WITH CUMMINS 5.9L DIESEL ENGINE:

Part Number Manufacturer
05016547AC Mopar
LF3894 Fleetguard Stratopore
LF3552 Fleetguard Microglass
LF3949 Fleetguard Cellulose
3937695 Cummins Cellulose
FL896 MotorCraft Cellulose
L45335 Purolator Cellulose
PF1070 AC Delco Cellulose

Policy: Information Only

Notes:

The LF3349 Cellulose filter does not appear on this list. It was approved in the past for 12Valve engines, but it has been superseded by the LF3949, which has a stronger metal case for the 24 Valve engines. You can use your existing LF3349's for 12 valve engines without concern about warranty coverage.

What does this TSB mean?
If you use one of the filters in this list, you will not have to worry about warranty coverage of an oil related engine failure. If you choose to use another filter that is not on the list, DC will (justifiably) make you pay for repairs if a piston cooling nozzle becomes clogged by a piece of filter material. Some filters have disintegrated resulting in severe engine damage. When this happens, you must seek compensation from the manufacturer of the filter (numerous reports of Fram failures have surfaced recently, and Wix filters damaged some 1st Gen engines back in the 90's). If the manufacturer is standing behind their product, they will pay for the repairs. GOOD LUCK! Is saving a few bucks on an oil filter really worth the risk of a $4000 repair bill? Your decision...

Not mentioned in the TSB, but a valid reason for denial of warranty coverage is damage caused by foreign material introduced into the oil filter by the person changing the oil. You can not expect a manufacturer to pay for engine damage caused by carelessness during an oil change, that kind of damage is not due to a manufacturing defect! Anything in the center of the filter goes directly into the oil galley when the engine is started. When you open an oil container and pre-fill the oil filter, be very careful that you do introduce into the center of the filter any of these into the filter:

* dirt or debris from your hands or the work area
* a bit of sealing foil from the top of the oil container
* plastic shavings from the oil container
* plastic or paper from the oil filter wrapping or container

Excuse me..."Recommended".

Did you by any chance READ what you just posted???? Yes it is just recommended. They can't make you use brand X, Y, and Z and void you JUST because you used brand W. Even if it causes known problems. Unless the problem that occurs is the direct fault of the filter they can not refuse warranty coverage. If you used one of the Fram filters that was having the known problem mentioned above and had a problem in the engine, but the filter was still in tact and functional, they can NOT void your warranty because it is not a MOPAR/Chrysler approved filter. That is against the law unless the filter is given to you for free.

I have read that TSB and I am aware of the problem and what Chrysler said. Still doesn't change the facts and law. That TSB is mainly saying there is a known issue with some filters. These filters we list in this TSB are safe to use. They can bluster all they want about deny this and deny that but it is just that = bluster. The law and facts don't change because of that TSB. They are the same after it as they are before it. "IF" any aftermarket part fails and causes damage it is the responsibility of the part mfg NOT Chrysler/the car mfg to fix it. So nothing in that TSB is news or different.

Use a filter that breaks down, which leads to engine failure, and NO car mfg will honor it unless it is their own filter brand, installed at a dealer, by a dealer tech. Otherwise they will say touch nuggies.
banana2.gif
Actually, if one of those "safe to use" filters on this list had a failure you can bet Chrysler would say talk to the filter mfg not us.

Last edited:

NOTE: SECTION 2.7 OF THE TRUCK WARRANTY MANUAL STATES DAIMLERCHRYSLER MOTORS CORPORATION IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR FAILURES RESULTING FROM IMPROPER REPAIR OR THE USE OF PARTS WHICH ARE NOT GENUINE DAIMLERCHRYSLER MOTORS CORPORATION / MOPAR OR DAIMLERCHRYSLER MOTORS CORPORATION / MOPAR APPROVED PARTS. DAMAGES CAUSED BY THE USE OF OIL FILTER NOT APPROVED BY DAIMLERCHRYSLER MAY NOT BE COVERED BY THE NEW VEHICLE WARRANTY.

Hmmm, this reads to me that they can in fact void your warranty. And the point of my post was the fact that we have seen a batch of recent filter failures...why take the chance???

If it was me and I was concerned about keeping my warranty in tact, I'd be paying the $8 and running a Mopar filter while it was under warranty.

No, they can't void your warranty. They can deny a claim ..just like they can tomorrow, if the filter that they didn't spec and sell fails.

That already occurs. If your PureOne fails and kills your engine, Chrysler isn't going to take it on the chin for Purolator.

OTOH, if your engine fails and you've ALSO got a Purolator filter, they can't say, "Yes, your timing chain snapped, and while true that this had NOTHING to do with your choice of a PureOne, we're BONING you BIG TIME, just because you used it. Thanks for the out of this very expensive repair, and prepare to get fleeced".

I don't know who makes them, but this is the mopar filter that came on my 2009 Grand Cherokee 3.7.

page165-1028-full.jpg

This is what I have on it at the moment

page165-1000-full.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back