valvoline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. new here. How come there seems so little talk here about Valvoline oils? I see Shell, QS, Mobil 1, and a few others but little mention of Valvoline oils; which is what I usually run;(NOT the synthetics either) something "wrong" there? I typically run 10W40 in everything year round; (30W in mowers, etc) 2 of my vehicles are old carbureted Mopar 318s; (soon to be 3) and 2, 4.0 Jeeps.
One thing that does bother me a bit; is that both my 318s are flat tappet; and on my '83 3/4 ton truck I put a new cam and lifters in 13K ago; ("more power"; not because of a breakdown; I put an "RV" cam in to better help that little V8 move the big truck with headers and a 4 bbl in place of the 2 bbl) it does not use any between 3K oil change intervals and is still relatively clean. I hear so much about flat tappet cams going bad these days.
my other is a 78 Fury,2 door hardtop, 47K original miles, I'm the 2nd owner, bought with 38K on it.(3 years ago)
I have another old plymouth and am building a 318 for it as well; but I am using a '97 Magnum engine, on account of the roller lifter cam. I am undecided on carb/EFI but am leaning heavily towards carb'd.

Valvoline is a very good oil, use it with confidence. It is spoken about here but may need to go back a few pages on the forums or check the UOA section.

Can use google to, in the search box type:

site:www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums Valvoline

Click search!

I'm not sure I can do any better than Anies.

Valvoline doesn't really have any cheerleader on this forum. It's a fine oil, but I agree doesn't get as much attention as things from Mobil, Sopus or the small botique oils.

Aye the Valvoline conventional(white bottle) is talked about and favored among many here. Synpower is a love/hate affair with some. The oil is not by any means an extended drain oil, but offers excellent protection for 5-7.5k OCI's(OLM).

Many focus on price, TBN retention etc. Synpower starts off with a low TBN but that doesn't mean its not robust to handle normal OCI following OEM intervals.

Either is a good oil, if you have used it without issues, continue to use it.

Originally Posted By: Don_B
what is sopus?

"Shell Oil Products - United States"

It's Shell's parent company here in the US. Products are often marked with "Made by SOPUS" or some similar wording.

SOPUS owns brands like Rain-X, Pennzoil, Quaker State, etc.

Don B:
I see Valvoline maxlife mentioned all the time here - a perennial fave for those looking for something with a tad more viscosity over the fuel economy lubricants.
Your cam break in occured the fisrt 20 mins of operation - hopefully you followed the cam manufacturer's rec. If there are worries, an HDEO like shell rotella T 10w-30 is a great universal oil with 30% more zddp than ILSAC GF4 allows. I havent tried the RT-5 semi-syn yet but that should be good also as shell makes no-nonesense lubricants. I dont know what the additives look like on VWB 10w-40.

Not a bad oil. Members here are just in love with SOPUS products. (Pennzoil, Quaker State, Rotella) I wouldn't hesitate to use Valvoline.

Great products. I have their Dex VI in my transmission now. My previous, and next oil changes were/will be Valvoline Maxlife blend. We have Maxlife blend in our 07 V6 mustang right now too.

I've never ran Valvoline in anything I've owned. I've never been impressed with the price....until now. I just picked up 23 quarts of Durablend at WM for $1.50 a quart. From what I read on here I'm quite happy to try it.

You need zinc additive with flat tappets,like ZDDP or use oil for over the road trucks,zinc has been drasticly reduced because it can contaminate the cat. convertor,the cam manufacturer recommends special break in oil for that crucial 20 minute break in.

valvoline ? see my sig. we have also been using it in our fleet 5w-30 in the gas engines 6.0 gmc with apparrently good results.
Its kind of corny advertising but most ase mechanics recommend valvoline including me I like how one brand has so many choices for different oils widely available

When I first came to BITOG many people stated that Valvoline "had a weak additive package". Despite this claim Valvoline always showed excellent UOA's which led many to feel that it had something that did'nt show up in VOA's.
At any rate I wouldn't hesitate to use any of Valvolines products.

Never used Valvoline before, but it's in my Forester right now. I like how the boxer sounds and behaves with it. Not sure if that's just from switching from PP syn, but there is indeed a difference in the level of noise.

My wife thinks we should stock up on VWB now. She commutes with the car daily so would notice these things...
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back