Garage Door Lubricant...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never really thought it would need anything special. I've used cheap air-sol based White Lithium grease on the rails and silicone lube on the bearings of the wheels before.

However, my Father-in-law's house recently got struck by lightening and it took out his garage door opener along with a bunch of other electronics.
The garage door repair guy suggested he lubricate the steel springs above the door with something, suggested was Silicone spray, probably because it is inexpensive and can be found anywhere.
The repair guy said that those springs go unserviced for long periods of time, rust and eventually snap due to the rust eventually binding them up.
Growing up we had our share of garage door springs snap, but I never understood why. I just figured it was part of the design.

However, recently I have been thinking about this.

What is the best penetrating lubricant for this purpose?
I was thinking Schaffer's Penetro 90.
There is a NAPA that sells the stuff not to far from where I work.

However, there is also Kroil, SiliKroil and Penephite. I have used Kroil for a few years now. As a penetrating oil it really does an incredible job, however it has very little lubricating and protecting qualities.
I have no experience with either SiliKroil, or Kroil with silicon lube in it, or Penephite some kind of graphite based lube.

What do yall think I should use on those coil springs above my garage door?
Also, I have a Genie screw drive garage door opener, any suggestions as to what lube I should use on that screw?

Thanks!

I use 3-in-one professional Garage Door Lube sold by Lowes in the tool section,use it on the springs,hinges and wheels
thumbsup2.gif

I give the torsion springs a spritz of WD-40 or the equivalent in the fall, along with the hinges. I have nylon guide wheels and have been told not to lubricate them or the tracks.

As for the screw drive, Genie sells repackged Lubriplate. I get mine at Menard's. Seeing as you're in Texas, I'm sure Home Depot or Lowes also carries the stuff if they carry Genie garage door openers.

Ive never heard to lube the springs. I guess I should do that! Or just replace them... they may be 60+ years old!

I tried pblaster garage door lube, as one of my two doors goes up crooked - a bit on one side, then a bit on the other, working its way up. I have not really noted any benefit one way or another to using that product. Not that it is the best test...

I just use heavy duty silicon spray. It actually helps but after a few months it needs to be resprayed. I was thinking about throwing up some lithium grease all over the rails and what not.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
Never really thought it would need anything special. I've used cheap air-sol based White Lithium grease on the rails and silicone lube on the bearings of the wheels before.

However, my Father-in-law's house recently got struck by lightening and it took out his garage door opener along with a bunch of other electronics.
The garage door repair guy suggested he lubricate the steel springs above the door with something, suggested was Silicone spray, probably because it is inexpensive and can be found anywhere.
The repair guy said that those springs go unserviced for long periods of time, rust and eventually snap due to the rust eventually binding them up.
Growing up we had our share of garage door springs snap, but I never understood why. I just figured it was part of the design.

However, recently I have been thinking about this.

What is the best penetrating lubricant for this purpose?
I was thinking Schaffer's Penetro 90.
There is a NAPA that sells the stuff not to far from where I work.

However, there is also Kroil, SiliKroil and Penephite. I have used Kroil for a few years now. As a penetrating oil it really does an incredible job, however it has very little lubricating and protecting qualities.
I have no experience with either SiliKroil, or Kroil with silicon lube in it, or Penephite some kind of graphite based lube.

What do yall think I should use on those coil springs above my garage door?
Also, I have a Genie screw drive garage door opener, any suggestions as to what lube I should use on that screw?

Thanks!

Schaeffer's Pentro 90 works great on the springs. I give mine a good spray of the Pentro 90 every year or so. Might want to lay some old paper on the garage floor as it will drip a little.

I think the "professional" garage door lubricants are simply silicone spray.

I would think that a rust prevention spray like Krown T-40, Rust Check red, Amsoil MP, Fluid Film or something like that might work well. The springs move and rub between coils so anything which sets up or gets waxy (like MP HD) might want to flake off or have its coating compromised. Silicone needs reapplication and doesn't do a whole lots of protecting considering that rust prevention is the goal (according to the garage door guy).

Last edited:
i found a can of Blaster Garage Door Lube at Big Lots for $1.99.

I'm not impressed.

I should have just stuck with Deep Creep.

I give the wheels for the track a shot 1-2 times a year. I'm going to do them today since it has been awhile.
Never thought about spraying the springs before. I guess it couldn't hurt so I'll do that today as well - I have the 2 horizontal coiled springs just above the door - double wide.
I have a large shelf full of a variety of sprays - I'll just grab & use whatever comes to mind & give the springs a light spray.

Just sprayed the springs & track wheels. I used:
CRC
Industrial
Ultra-Lite
3-36
Dry Film Lubricant
Displace moisture
Prevents corrosion
Resist oil & dirt build-up

I didn't see any signs of surface rust at all - actually they still look new to me. Maybe having a heated garage has something to do with it.

I had grabbed first a can of Yamalube Silicone Protectant & Lubricant, which I have yet to use on anything, but have been a fan of the CRC 3-36 and decided to use what I use for a lot of things.
I bought a couple cans of the Yamalube when there was a sale locally - and neither of my bikes is a Yamaha. Some day I'll probably try it on something.
It's raining, plus T-storms in the forecast. The garage is the place today - better first place my lunch request though...

Originally Posted By: Errtt

I didn't see any signs of surface rust at all - actually they still look new to me. Maybe having a heated garage has something to do with it.

Yes, California is a challenging environment in which to keep things rust-free. I'm sure the heated garage, another California necessity, pushed it over the edge.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back