Running 5w30 instead of 5w20 oil in a 2002 accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was considering running 5w30 instead of 5w20 oil in my 2002 accord, does it make a difference running the 5w30 instead of 5w20. I have a lot of 5w30 quarts and sales on 5w20 is hard to come by. What will happen if I run the 5w30?

really, I was going to buy a case of qs or havoline 5w30. Which one would be better?

I switched my 2006 accord to 5/30 after 120,000 miles. After many thread researches my worst fear was losing a few MPG's. My mileage has actually gone up since the change but i certainly don't credit the oil for that. I'm finally getting to use up some of my stash on this car now!

I'd probably go with the Havoline 5w-30. As others have mentioned, use it with confidence as there will be little, if any noticeable difference. Some people note the engine revving a little slower/different when switching from 5w-20 to 5w-30.

now your line has changed from having 5/30 to purchasing 5/30..if you are buying I'd buy the 5/20.

Originally Posted By: bfrey64
really, I was going to buy a case of qs or havoline 5w30. Which one would be better?

Both are quality oils. I'm partial to Havoline, but that's just me, you really can't go wrong with either one.

Havoline is a thin 30 weight, it starts out thinner than most 5w-30 oils. It's still a 30 weight at temps, it just starts out on the thinner side of the 30 weight range, and tends not to shear as much.

But again you can't go wrong with either of them

Havoline is a great oil. It's pretty well as close to a 20-weight you can get in a 30-weight...that and Syntec 5W-30.

I run 5W-30 on my J32A2 which calls for 10W-30 (or 5W-30, I forgot) in 2001 but Acura switched it to 5W-20 for CAFE in 2003.

Last edited:
i would use 5w20 in that engine thicker is not always better not the way oils are now maybe 20 years ago but not now... 5w30 will not hurt it but 5w20 will get to places faster than the 5w30

5w20 is the grade i prefer thin is in when it comes to oils cafe has a little to do with it but the 5w20 has proven itself over and over again..
As most of you know i have a busy engine rebuilding shop and i see what works and what dont.. We just rebuilt an engine for a contracting company that was burning oil and he only used 5w20 every 5000 miles on his ford truck.. The engine still ran good but was smoking a little and had a few leaks here and there..
Odometer showed 383,xxx construction miles and again that was on 5w20
I believe if your engine is in good shape and calls for 5w20 use it it really gets everywhere faster

My Accord specs 5w30 and I use 5w40 regularly and it helped out consumption a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back