Valvoline 4-stroke 10w40 atv oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tried this I thought about using it in my raptor 350. I also thought about the amsoil 10w40 but if I can get the valvoline local I thought about trying it.

Do your self a favor and use a 15w40/5w40 HDEO,that valvoline sheared to water when i ran it hard in my Warrior.

plus it's over priced for what you get.

I see you haven't spent much time here since your sign on,i recommend you spend some time in the MC forums and MC UOA forum.

this oil is perfectly safe and great to use in ANY bike,ATV.

Yes i have 15w40 in there now,it performs very well,a warrior gets red hot when riding in the summer,burns my legs when i have shorts on,i have also ran M1 15w50 red cap,M1 15w50 EP, Amsoil 20w50, ST 15w40,may try a 5w40 M1 TDT this summer.

you just don't want a high Moly content in your oil,that could result in clutch slippage.

just pick a 15w40 or 5w40 and ride,your rig will be protected well.

change oil often ATV's and some MC are tough on oil,i change two three times a summer depending on how much i ride.

I have run that Valvoline ATV oil in my Suzuki EIGER for 3 years. My buddy has used it in his Honda with no problems and our bikes are air cooled.

From what I have gathered by reading the back of the Valvoline 10w40 motorcycle oil and other motorcycle oils, they have add packs not to effect your clutch plates. On alot of quads with auto transmisions such as the utility quads, the engine and transmission are separate, so I can see no advantage of using the atv oil over regular car oil, since your engine uses the oil in the same way as a car does. I have always used a diesel oil such as 15w50 or 15w40 in my motorcycles with transmission/engines with no problems. For the amount of time that a oil actually remains in a atv, I think just about any 10w40 or oil would be fine, since I dont know of many people who ever run a quad for 6000 miles on any oil, its ussually more like 500 or 1000 miles on a change.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
From what I have gathered by reading the back of the Valvoline 10w40 motorcycle oil and other motorcycle oils, they have add packs not to effect your clutch plates.

No big deal all that is a low moly additive package there hyping up..

Well I checked autozone and advance and the only place I find the T6 is at walmart. Which isnt bad just wanted to see if others had it as well.

Last edited:
I have used Valvoline 10W-40 ATV or Motorcycle oil in my 2003 Honda Rancher 4X4 with decent results since I bought it new. I have noticed some shearing especially in the summer. Last change I put one quart in and then topped it off with Rotella 15W-40 and havent had any shearing since. I'm switching to Rotella 15w-40 exclusively in the summer and RTS 5W-40 if I expect heavy winter use in the middle of a change.
The Valvoline ATV is not bad oil but i have noticed that it has gone up from $3 per quart to $5 per quart and also is more difficult to find (although Meijer, Murray/O'Reilly/Autozone seem to still have it). So for $2.70 a quart I can get Rotella which everyone here says good things about as far as wet-clutch and we know it has a stout add-pack for cleaning and holding up well to heat and shearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back