Composition of Lucas Upper Cylinder Lube....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant in my garage queen sports car. It doesn't get driven too much, so I think the idea of an UCL makes sense to coat important parts between starts. I tried a search but could not find much information on the composition of this product. I know most UCL's are typically just light weight oils. We seem to know a fair bit about MMO, but I haven't seen much on Lucas UCL. MMO is hard to find in my area, Lucas UCL is plentiful and pretty affordable to use. Any info would be cool, thanks for reading.

Good question. I know its good stuff, and Ive used it in the past a few times. I'd be interested too.

Unfortunately calling Lucas isnt much help. Theyre always friendly, but their tech support doesnt seem to know (or wont tell) much about their formulations. I've called a couple of times, asking about their gear oils, and motor oils. They couldnt tell me much about their product OR oil change intervals. Both times, they just said that most of their products contained the oil stabilizer.

I'd like to try more of their stuff, but for guys like us that want more info, theyre going to have to do better.

I tried to light lucas fuel stabalizer and mmo in a dish at the same time, they would not burn. I put some on a paper towel and it burned, but slowly. Then I added a tablespoon of gas and it burned quickly of course, but smokey. Not exactly a scientific test, but it worked for me. It did make a popping sound and I guess it was the oil base in the Lucas that did that. Note: I added 10 oz of mmo and 10 oz of Lucas fuel stablzr to the gas tank and it did well.

Last edited:
I quit using Lucas UCL.
It turns out it is motor oil.
A few posts have been made with that studied/observed conclusion.
And my empirical observation is that it is useless. I have tried many qt bottles in different cars. Only a wallet effect.

For lube, adding a bit of 2 stroke oil is wonderful. The pump, valves, and upper cylinders are helped.
For lube and cleaning, use MMO. Less lube than 2 stroke oil, but it had pretty good cleaners.
Either of these always show a better idle and seat of the pant running
Both are Way cheaper then Lucas UCL.
Use the correct dosage - something like 2-4 ounces of lube to 10 gal fuel.

Have used Lucas UCL for years @ every fill at the rate of around 2.5 oz per 10 gallons of regular unleaded. Recently have started mixing it with MMO about 50/50. Am using approximately 3 oz per 10 gallons of the mixture now.

Being retired and traveling a lot notice that much of the gasoline now has as much as 10% Ethanol + the new federal requirements for ultra low Sulfur cut way back on any lubricating properties that the fuel has.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
I quit using Lucas UCL.
It turns out it is motor oil.
A few posts have been made with that studied/observed conclusion.
And my empirical observation is that it is useless. I have tried many qt bottles in different cars. Only a wallet effect.

For lube, adding a bit of 2 stroke oil is wonderful. The pump, valves, and upper cylinders are helped.
For lube and cleaning, use MMO. Less lube than 2 stroke oil, but it had pretty good cleaners.
Either of these always show a better idle and seat of the pant running
Both are Way cheaper then Lucas UCL.
Use the correct dosage - something like 2-4 ounces of lube to 10 gal fuel.

Exactly same my story.

I use tcw3 one of the best on the market, HP Injector AMSOIL, it has a superior cleaning capability compared to a standard tcw3.

Forget about Lucas products they are rubbish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back