Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Folks-

Looking for a good recommendation for oil for my 2004 Ford F150 5.4L V8. I'm running synthetic in it now, and probably will stick with a synthetic. Truck has 70k miles on it, I drive it on weekends mostly with the occasional use for hauling and offroading. Doing 5k OCIs now and I put prob 10k/ year on the vehicle. I live in Virginia, so the weather is usually mild but has been very cold this winter and the summer should be pretty warm. I found some thick white greasy looking stuff under the oil cap during my last change, but I think it's probably just condensation (dipstick, radiator overflow, oil all clean). Any recommendations on what to run?
Thanks!

I would stick with a full synthetic 0/5W-20 (PP, M1 or Motorcraft are excellent choices) and 10,000 mile/1 year OCIs.
thumbsup2.gif
Toyota's 0W-20 is also getting a lot of thumbs up from what I've read.

I like the above recommendation.. 10k / 1yr sounds like it would work good for that application. Any major brand synthetic would do just fine.

I've always preferred 5w-30 in the 5.4L V8 and 6.8L V10's-- There probably wouldn't be a discernible difference between 20 and 30 weights.

Originally Posted By: FordTruckMan
Hi Folks-

Looking for a good recommendation for oil for my 2004 Ford F150 5.4L V8. I'm running synthetic in it now, and probably will stick with a synthetic. Truck has 70k miles on it, I drive it on weekends mostly with the occasional use for hauling and offroading. Doing 5k OCIs now and I put prob 10k/ year on the vehicle. I live in Virginia, so the weather is usually mild but has been very cold this winter and the summer should be pretty warm. I found some thick white greasy looking stuff under the oil cap during my last change, but I think it's probably just condensation (dipstick, radiator overflow, oil all clean). Any recommendations on what to run?

FordTruckMan,

Your doing fine as is right now so the muck you find underneath the oil cap is collected condensation and should be driven off by driving on the freway/highway for about 90 minutes as I do every weekend.

If your asking about using a different type of synthetic oil then don't worry as my beleif is that your condition will happen no matter what the brand you use including the oil filter.

Just continue using the brand your happy with and keep up the good work.

Durango
Thanks!

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
Kendall GT-1 5w-20

X2 on the Kendall GT-1. EXCELLENT oil! Just make sure it is the full synthetic version as all their oils are called GT-1. You have to read the bottle to make sure which you are getting. Their GT-1 full synthetic is also one of the most affordable( p/qt bottle )out there.

To the OP - If you have a lot of condensation in your engine it means you are not getting it up to operating temp and driving long enough to really heat it up and burn it off. Try taking a LONG highway run( 20-30 minutes )which should burn off any moisture from condensation. You can also use Seafoam which will help remove moisture from your crankcase.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back