Starfire/Cooper tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a nail in one of my tires so I took it to a tire shop. They said the tread on the front tires were low (which they were). The original tires were Pirelli.

Anyway, the guy said they could put on Cooper tires for $60/each.

I get my vehicle back tonight and check in the dark (place was already closed) and they put on Starfire tires.

The receipt says Starfire Cooper SF340 tires. Was the guy a bit dishonest in saying they were cooper tires and not some subsidy of them?

Anyways, they have a 60k mile tread warranty. They look like beefy tires and have a nice tread to them but then again I'm no tire guru.

Normally I would inspect the tires before they installed them, but I was gone all day and left my car there. I was basically in a rush to get it fixed.

Even more frightening to us BITOGers....I got an oil change done there (since I recently pulled a back muscle and was due for an oil change. I bit the bullet and requested they do it). They use AGIP motor oil which is supposedly good stuff so I didn't have too many issues with letting them do the change. They did fill it a half quart over the full line, but I can live with that.
43.gif

Anyway, two new front tires, balance and oil change for $180. Not too bad I think. Oil change was only $24.99

edit: Not sure if this should be in the tire section or not but feel free to move it to where it should go.

Last edited:
Starfire is one of Cooper's Value lines. Actually pretty soild tires for the price. I've talked to a few people with cars similar to mine with those tires, and they seem to do well for a budget tire. If I don't pop for the CS4s, I'd consider this tire if I have to budget....Not sure if it is a 50 or 60k warranty though. Are they s rated?

A lot of the indy shops use them around here and like em'. They tend to hold up better than other cheapie tires.

I've had a set of Starfire tires on one of my cars several years ago. They performed well. The guy should have told you they were Starfire tires that were made by Cooper, though, and not Cooper tires. It was a little misleading. Maybe he figured most people don't really care what brand of tires are on their car, or figured if he said "Cooper" instead of "Starfire" you'd more readily approve. Most people probably have never heard of Starfire, but have heard of Cooper.

In the end, I wouldn't be too upset if it were me (as long as the Starfire tires are not made in China). Maybe you could complain to the guy for selling you one thing and installing another and get some money back, or free road hazzard, or lifetime balancing or something.

Last edited:
From what I gathered on the internet, Starfire are manufactured in the USA.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I believe all tires are minimum s rated.

That's the lowest I've seen for a regular passenger car tire, but you can still get Q-rated winter tires in smaller sizes, and Q and R-rated all-terrain truck tires.

Originally Posted By: GMFan

They were made in china a few years ago, but since have switched back to the USA made.

About 5 years ago, Cooper had nearly their full line available under the Starfire brand. I used to buy the Starfire Solarus tires, which were rebranded Lifeliner SLE tires. Those tires were very good for the cost. I still have a set on one car.

Since then, it seems that Starfire tires have been disappearing from the marketplace, and the premium offerings are completely gone.

Originally Posted By: Stu_Rock
About 5 years ago, Cooper had nearly their full line available under the Starfire brand. I used to buy the Starfire Solarus tires, which were rebranded Lifeliner SLE tires. Those tires were very good for the cost. I still have a set on one car.

Since then, it seems that Starfire tires have been disappearing from the marketplace, and the premium offerings are completely gone.

I've heard they might get starfire back into it.....Mastercraft's sales have been sliding down. (of course that happens when you price them a buck or so cheaper than Cooper)

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: GMFan

They were made in china a few years ago, but since have switched back to the USA made.

Which is why voting with your dollars can help bring jobs back to the USA!

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
I've heard they might get starfire back into it.....Mastercraft's sales have been sliding down. (of course that happens when you price them a buck or so cheaper than Cooper)

The last two sets of tires I bought were cheaper in the Cooper brand than in the identical Mastercraft brand!

Not only that, but both sets had a $50 mail-in rebate available only on Cooper brand tires.

Just about every tire manufacturer anymore makes tires for a "cheaper" brand that they also own.

Michelin has Uniroyal
Goodyear has Dunlop and Republic
Bridgestone has Firestone
Firestone has Dayton and Fusion
and so on....

It is a form of marketing. A company like Michelin doesn't want to risk diluting its "premium" status by producing a cheaper tire that may not perform to the customer's vision of what a Michelin tire should be. However, Michelin may still want a piece of the cheaper tire market.

Enter Uniroyal. Michelin buys Uniroyal, and then can make all sorts of cheaper tires for Uniroyal, and not risk the premium reputation of the Michelin name when doing so.

Cooper is doing the same with Starfire and Mastercraft.

I don't have a problem with using BFGoodrich tires anymore, since they are also owned by Michelin.

Cooper privates I can think of-

Guardsmen- sears
American- Belle Tire
Mastercraft
Starfire
Cyclone (being phased out)
Kendra
Futura=Pep Boys
Dean
Avon

Last edited:
Does anyone think it was dishonest of the guy to tell me they were Cooper tires?

I mean, you are told you are getting a Lexus car and they give you a Toyota. They then claim, well, it's made by Toyota so it's the same thing!

I think it was dishonest and I am debating complaining to them.

Well, ya live and ya learn. Next time I will be more sure to make them clarify exactly what brand it will be.

I still got a good deal on 60k mile tires so no use crying over spilled milk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back