VW 1.8T vs 2.0T OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dani: Fram's don't get much love here on BITOG (rightly so, IMHO). Read through some threads on the Oil Filters forum and I think you'll come to the conclusion that there are better filters out there for the same or even less money.

If you find the OEM Mann filters too expensive, even when purchased in bulk, you might want to do some more searches on the forum for "1.8T filter" on the Oil Filter forum. You'll probably turn up many good recomendations for filters such as Purolator, Wix, etc. which may be a little cheaper than the OEM filter.

[ March 24, 2006, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: AndyH ]

quote:

Originally posted by Dani:
Thank for the info. I used mobil 1 even at walmart, not their synthetic. I just wanted to know how important it is to use a Mann filter if I am still changing the oil every 5k.
Dani

Good to know, I was scared for a minute. lol

Well like was said above me it is and it isn't. If you a good aftermarket one it won't make much of a difference probaley but use a poor one like Fram and it may. The ones he quoted are very good alternatives. I personally like Napa Gold's & Purolator Pure One's myself since I can get them easy. My in-laws are more value oriented then myself so they like getting the Premium Plus or Pro line filters made by Purolator. Still a good filter just not made for the long haul to like 10k, although 5k is no problem.

quote:

Originally posted by AndyH: ...
If you find the OEM Mann filters too expensive, even when purchased in bulk, you might want to do some more searches on the forum for "1.8T filter" on the Oil Filter forum. ...

You can't beat the price of the Mann-made Purolator L40316, currently $0.01(!) after rebate at PepBoys. (I paid a bank-breaking $1.50 last time around.
smile.gif
) It just barely clears the left engine mount on my 2001 VW Passat 1.8T, but it increases my oil capacity by several precious ounces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back