07 Mustang Power Steering Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing oil change this evening on my '07 Mustang and noticed the power steering fluid is at the add mark. Manual says to use Mercon fluid.

Is Valvoline DexMerc going to be OK to use, or is there something else that I should be putting in there ?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: HaroldCallahan
Doing oil change this evening on my '07 Mustang and noticed the power steering fluid is at the add mark. Manual says to use Mercon fluid.

Is Valvoline DexMerc going to be OK to use, or is there something else that I should be putting in there ?

Thanks

Yes that will be fine.

I actually use a sort of combination. I originally replaced the PSF with Valvoline MAxlife PSF, and it became way too loose and light. Changed some out for 1 qt of Mobil 1 ATF, didn't get much better. Added a bottle of Lucas Power Steering stuff, and it's just right now. Middling in weight, and it's not loose on center anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Power steering systems can run very hot in summer.
A full synthetic fluid is a good idea.
A few turkey baster empty/fills in succession is a great idea to get fresh fluid in the system with no mess, and no removal of lines.
Mobil 1 or Mercon V are goo fluid options.
My concern is where that fluid is going in a rather new car - why it is low. This should not be. Hopefully you have an easy leak to fix.

I do the turkey baster drain and fill with M1 ATF in my Fords. Have used their fluid since they invented the stuff in the early 90s with never a failure, tranny or PS pump, yet.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
A few turkey baster empty/fills in succession is a great idea to get fresh fluid in the system with no mess, and no removal of lines.
My concern is where that fluid is going in a rather new car - why it is low. This should not be. Hopefully you have an easy leak to fix.

The owner manual specifies Mercon 5 for Auto Transmissions and Mercon for the PS and the manual transmission as well.

Hard to find just plain Mercon unless you go straight to Ford, I suppose.

I guess I will just use the DexMerc as it does meet Mercon specs. I too wonder why it is down to the add mark. Never was all the way to full in the beginning. I have not seen a single drop of anything leak from this car. Looked underneath and found nothing on the frame or anywhere else. It has almost 50k miles.

Originally Posted By: HaroldCallahan
Originally Posted By: mechtech2

The owner manual specifies Mercon 5 for Auto Transmissions and Mercon for the PS and the manual transmission as well.

Hard to find just plain Mercon unless you go straight to Ford, I suppose.

I guess I will just use the DexMerc as it does meet Mercon specs. I too wonder why it is down to the add mark. Never was all the way to full in the beginning. I have not seen a single drop of anything leak from this car. Looked underneath and found nothing on the frame or anywhere else. It has almost 50k miles.

Mercon V has been speced for ford vehicles since the late 90s, early 2000s. Mercon is no longer licensed. Dex/Merc will work, but Mercon V is a much better fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back