Which Motul is better for Audi S4 B8 2010?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Nickyracer - Welcome. Considering the age of your car I would continue to rune what you are. Any gains from using V300 will be "parasitic" at best and may void your Warranty

Now, what about Zaphrojets?

I look forward to seeing St Petersburg again in June. The last time I was there in 1968 it was called Leningrad of course

shpankey
Quattro Pete
Looks like I'm definitely not alone here in terms of being an oil maniac! :))))
That's good thing because my family and friends don't share my hobby and consider buying top-end oils as a waste of money :((

d00df00d, why don't you use Motul Specific LL-04 with BMW approval for your M3?
By the way, I forgot to mention Motul Specific 504.00 - 507.00 or Specific 502.00: looks like they're specially designed for my car and specific is always better than universal? Sorry I hanen't asked the question in my first post here.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Nickyracer - Welcome. Considering the age of your car I would continue to rune what you are. Any gains from using V300 will be "parasitic" at best and may void your Warranty
Now, what about Zaphrojets?
I look forward to seeing St Petersburg again in June. The last time I was there in 1968 it was called Leningrad of course

Hello, Doug, and thanks for the welcome!
I also think that any gains from using 300V instead of X-lite in my engine will be totally subjective and so-called "butt dyno" is not a precise gadget :))) Just wanted the best, something like that...

Zaporozhets were made in Ukraine at ZAZ Automobile plant, out of production for more than 15 years.
Was the cheapest passenger car in the Soviet Union and the hero of many anecdotes. People jokingly described its proud owners as "Just another ten minutes of disgrace - and you reach your work place again" :))) It was like a Soviet Porsche 911 - rear-mounted aircooled boxer engine, rear-wheel drive... That's irony, of course.

My father used to be in Australia in 1996, the country made a good impression on him. I've never been here.
Visit S-pb, it's really beautiful and often mentioned as Russia's "cultural capital". You'll find the country changed a bit from 1968.

Originally Posted By: Nickyracer
d00df00d, why don't you use Motul Specific LL-04 with BMW approval for your M3?

A few reasons:

1. LL-04 isn't recommended for gasoline cars where the gasoline contains ethanol, which is most of America.

2. I got the oil for free, so I could keep my oil change intervals short.

3. My car is long out of warranty, so BMW approval isn't as much of an issue any more.

4. I have had a few issues with fuel dilution that have been difficult to track down, so I thought using 300V might be a good way to try to mitigate the effects until I could solve the root problem.

Originally Posted By: Nickyracer
By the way, I forgot to mention Motul Specific 504.00 - 507.00 or Specific 502.00: looks like they're specially designed for my car and specific is always better than universal? Sorry I hanen't asked the question in my first post here.

I'm pretty sure 504.00 and 507.00 are low-SAPS specifications designed to protect the emissions systems of some cars. If your owner's manual says you can use 502.00 oils, I don't think you need 504.00.

I'm not sure about Motul Specific 502.00, but I do see that it's a 5w-40 with a lower viscosity index and higher pour point than X-Lite. I will try to get in touch with Motul and see what they say.

motul 300V 5W40 is the right oil for you. The VW 502.00 approval has given very poor results in many used oil analysis ( at least the ones i have seen).
Esters is the only thing i would use in a turbo, no coking .

- Resistance to high temperature coking-
While racing, when the engine is pushed to the extreme, or during pit stops and refuellings, the oil temperature reaches maximal values.

Same happens to usual cars when stuck in traffic jams, hard or fast-driven for long journeys, or stopped at busy toll-gates.

Hence the capital attention to avoid the carbonization of lubricants heated to high temperatures.The lubricant residues carbonized through overheating (i.e. charring) are weighed, the best benchmark being a low weight.

The test measures the coking of engine oils at a sustained high temperature (5 days at 160°C / 320°F) and blasted for 48 hours against an aluminum shim heated at 290°C / 554°F.

Tests prove the choice of basestocks, especially synthetic ester bases, to be a major promoter of resistance to high temperature coking.

The 300V's of the MOTORSPORT line reveal virtually almost no coking during this test.

1. The engine is supercharged, not turbocharged.

2. X-Lite is very similar in formulation to 300V.

3. X-Lite is relatively new, and the engine in question just came out. There is no data on it yet. You can't just automatically apply the previous trends right off the bat.

4. UOA results don't necessarily say anything about actual engine wear anyway. Only the condition of the oil itself. If 502.00 oils really performed that poorly, Audi would recommend something else.

Hi,
NickyRacer - I remember the Zaporozhets quite well. Firstly from driving a lot (not Zaporozhets) in Scandinavia and "Eastern" Europe and Russia in the 1960s. They were also sold in Scandinavia including Denmark as "the cheapest car" IIRC

I thought the design was rather good for a cold climate car of that era. The V4 aircooled engine was a great starting point IMO
I drove a number as we used them as a test bed for HD lubricants

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
I'm not sure about Motul Specific 502.00, but I do see that it's a 5w-40 with a lower viscosity index and higher pour point than X-Lite. I will try to get in touch with Motul and see what they say.

Thank you, I'm looking forward for this kind of information if you'll be able to provide me with it.

Hello, Doug Hillary. You're right, the engine was V4, not a boxer type.
Zaporozhets has been despised in the USSR and its owners have been a heroes of many anecdotes.
Its main issue was aircooling and lack of a normal heater - it's been equipped with a gasoline heater which consumed gas in far bigger quantities than the engine itself in cold weather. Guess I don't have to remind you that climate in Russia is very far from tropical. :)))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back