Spare Tire PSI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2001 Toyota Camry CE
I have 205/60 16's on the car and the spare tire sitting in the trunk is the same size. How much air should be in the spare? I've been hearing that "mini" spare's usually need 60psi but my spare says 44psi max on the sidewalls. I'm really confused
54.gif

Last edited:
The donut I once saw in another car did in fact say 60 PSI on the sidewall. If yours says 44psi max, then I wouldn't go above it.

I'd fill it to whatever the max spec is for the spare. The label should be trustworthy...

If your spare is the same size as the other tires, it should have the highest pressure in either your front or rear tires.
If it is the same size as on the door jamb use those pressures to determine the correct pressure for your spare. Use the full load pressure, if listed, you can always let a little air out if needed.

Originally Posted By: shanneba
If your spare is the same size as the other tires, it should have the highest pressure in either your front or rear tires.
If it is the same size as on the door jamb use those pressures to determine the correct pressure for your spare. Use the full load pressure, if listed, you can always let a little air out if needed.

i fill my tires up to 32psi
i should fill my spare which is sitting in the trunk to 32psi too?
would the weight of the car resting on my normal tires affect the psi in any way? im just afraid of my spare popping in my face haha

I'd fill the spare to the max pressure on the sidewall, because it is rarely use/check. If you need the spare 2-3 years later, that max pressure probably goes down 10-5 PSI in that time frame.

Set and adjust the spare tire pressure when you do the rest of your tires. 32-35 is fine.

I need to up the PSI on my never used mini spare. It loses 30 of 60 psi over a year. I should check it more often but in the winter I'm likely to callout service. I had them dismount the tire checking the bead, rim, valve. Still looses psi

Put in 70 psi. It'll drop over time. Check it once a year. Carry a tire pressure gauge in the glovebox. And if you ever need to use the spare, you can deflate it to the correct pressure.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I'd fill the spare to the max pressure on the sidewall, because it is rarely use/check. If you need the spare 2-3 years later, that max pressure probably goes down 10-5 PSI in that time frame.

+1. Always pump to max psi on the sidewall for the spare tire.
But I always check every 3-4 months due to hot climate makes tire lost pressure faster

Mini spares lose pressure "faster" when they leak because they have less air to start with.
It might be worth sliming the tire, but I'd just check it once every other month and top it up.

The spare tire should have it stamped on the sidewall. I have a donut tire and it says 60psi. I go almost 70 psi because I check it once a year, and if I needed it sooner, I can adjust pressure downwards.
Have a full size spare on my pickup, that is supposed to be 44psi max, I have 50psi in it. Same philosophy.

Originally Posted By: kr_bitog
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

+1. Always pump to max psi on the sidewall for the spare tire.
But I always check every 3-4 months due to hot climate makes tire lost pressure faster

When the spare is needed, it's always easier getting air out than it is putting it in!
thumbsup2.gif

Mini spare tires are a whole different thing. They need high pressure like 60.
You have a normal tire [hopefully you can include this in your t=rotation].
Use normal pressure - 32-35.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back