Could SuperTech oil be to blame?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a hard time seeing how the oil would cause a noticeable difference in temps...Was it warmer on the day that you began to notice it ? Ambient temps can make an engine feel more hot and will affect the frequency that the fan comes on...

That said, If I were using a regular 10W40 auto oil I wouldn't use the supertech but that's just me...It may be a fine oil but I'd be more comfortable with something like Castrol or Valvoline 10W40....

According to this site 10W-40 car oil just doesn't last in motorcycles. It quickly shears to about 25 weight. Might be OK for up to 1000-1500 miles, but I wouldn't run it. I use the Rotella synthetic 5W-40 and it works great. Calsci

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
According to this site 10W-40 car oil just doesn't last in motorcycles. It quickly shears to about 25 weight. Might be OK for up to 1000-1500 miles, but I wouldn't run it. I use the Rotella synthetic 5W-40 and it works great. Calsci

That is completely dependent on the type of engine, type of riding and use, the range of environmental conditions, and the brand and type (syn vs conv. or Grp III vs PAO) of oil.

Saying that all 10w-40 oils shear down in all motorcycles is WAY too simplistic.

Originally Posted By: whitesands
I have a hard time seeing how the oil would cause a noticeable difference in temps...Was it warmer on the day that you began to notice it ? Ambient temps can make an engine feel more hot and will affect the frequency that the fan comes on...

I wouldn't of believed it until I worked at a Harley Davidson dealership for a brief time. The mechanics measured motor temp and found that when they switched things over to synthetic in the 96's, it'd drop motor temp by nearly ten degrees. Pretty impressive.

Keep in mind that all of the house brand products from Mal*Wart are cheap junk. They are the cheapest products U.S. industry can figure out how to manufacture...or Chinese industry. Buy any of the major brand products and you'll probably be better off.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Keep in mind that all of the house brand products from Mal*Wart are cheap junk. They are the cheapest products U.S. industry can figure out how to manufacture...or Chinese industry. Buy any of the major brand products and you'll probably be better off.

Prove it. Have you ever heard of the American Petroleum Institute? Look for API SM on the back of that Supertech bottle of oil.

Originally Posted By: whitesands
Was it warmer outside when you used the supertech compared to when you used the castrol ?

Nope. I used the Castrol exclusively, and it last throughout cold weather, and extremely hot weather.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Originally Posted By: Ken2

Prove it. Have you ever heard of the American Petroleum Institute? Look for API SM on the back of that Supertech bottle of oil.

Agreed. It may not have great amounts of additives, but if it meets the API standard, it sure can't be too bad at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back