I did something I never thought I would do...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bradepb
How come they call the 0w-40 plus-50 ?

Because you can take the OCI out 50% more hours then you usally do when running the plus-50(15w40/0w40).

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
That's my personal oil rack :p

I have as much oil as many parts stores do.

Ohhh ok,yea same here,i buy it by the 5 gal pails,
grin2.gif
so you got it from your local JD dealer???

i didn't think it was available any where else,that was a good price should have backed the truck up!!

Yeah, I got it at the local JD dealer. When I checked the stock online it said they had 388 in stock, but when I went there they only had the synthetic blend on the shelf. The counter dude had to go all the way back to their warehouse building and dig through their stock to find a case of the full synthetic. I felt a bit bad about that, because the dude looked like he had MS or something.

Link doesn't work, but I think I've seen the MSDS. If you search on the John Dere site for MSDS for the 0W-40 it shows 3 suppliers. Esso in Canada, and Northland and Chevron in the US. The stuff I got is Chevron. It's supposed to be "100% PAO base oils".

I'm a service manager at a Deere dealer in North Texas. Deere is phasing out Plus 50 & is replacing it with Plus 50 II which is compatible with the current Tier 3 & the new Tier 4 engines. Deere no longer makes the original Plus 50 as of October.

Quoting what we've received from Deere:

Plus-50 II exceeds the requirements of the American Petroleum
Institute (API) Service Category CJ-4 for use in high-speed fourstroke diesel engines and is backward compatible to meet
previous API engine oil classifications.

Plus-50 II premium engine oil has been designed to provide
advanced lubricant performance in modern low emission
engines, and to meet the requirements of heavy-duty off-road
applications, as well as lighter duty applications including onroad vehicles.

Plus-50 II exceeds demands of John Deere JDQ-78X hightemperature
performance test. JDQ-78X is the most severe engine dyno test for high temperature oil oxidation in the industry. The proven performance from the JDQ-78X along with extensive field testing allows extended drain intervals up to 500 hours when using Plus-50 II and John Deere filters.

Applications
Plus-50 II is recommended for four-stroke naturally aspirated, turbocharged and supercharged diesel engines with Diesel articulate Filters (DPF), Diesel Oxidation Catalysts (DOC), and Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR). Examples of applications include; heavy-duty off-road equipment, vehicles with John Deere iT4 engines, vehicles requiring CJ-4 oil, on-road trucks, marine engines, natural gas engines,pickups, and automobiles. Plus-50 II is also recommended for use in all legacy diesel engine
applications where Plus-50 has been in use.

Specifications
API service categories:
- CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4
- SM, SL, SJ
ACEA (Europe) oil sequences:
- E9, E7
JASO (Japan) oil standards:
- DH-2
Major diesel engine manufacturers’ requirements:
- John Deere JDQ-78X
- Mack EO-O Premium Plus 07
- Cummins CES 20081, 77, 76 (15W-40), 75
- Caterpillar ECF-3, ECF-2, ECF-1-a, TO-2
- Mercedes Benz 228.31 (15W-40)
- Detroit Diesel 93K218 (15W-40), 93K214 (15W-40)
- Volvo VDS-4, VDS-3, VDS-2
- Renault RLD, RXD, RD
- Man M3275
- MTU Type 2.1
Typical Properties
15W-40
Viscosity @ 40°C 128.0 cSt
Viscosity @ 100°C 15.6 cSt
Viscosity Index 127
HTHS Viscosity @150°C 4.3 cP
Pour Point -36°C
Flash Point °C 225
Total Base Number (TBN) 10.5
Sulfated Ash 1.0

Originally Posted By: TexHill
I'm a service manager at a Deere dealer in North Texas. Deere is phasing out Plus 50 & is replacing it with Plus 50 II which is compatible with the current Tier 3 & the new Tier 4 engines. Deere no longer makes the original Plus 50 as of October.

Quoting what we've received from Deere:

Plus-50 II exceeds the requirements of the American Petroleum
Institute (API) Service Category CJ-4 for use in high-speed fourstroke diesel engines and is backward compatible to meet
previous API engine oil classifications.

Plus-50 II premium engine oil has been designed to provide
advanced lubricant performance in modern low emission
engines, and to meet the requirements of heavy-duty off-road
applications, as well as lighter duty applications including onroad vehicles.

Plus-50 II exceeds demands of John Deere JDQ-78X hightemperature
performance test. JDQ-78X is the most severe engine dyno test for high temperature oil oxidation in the industry. The proven performance from the JDQ-78X along with extensive field testing allows extended drain intervals up to 500 hours when using Plus-50 II and John Deere filters.

Applications
Plus-50 II is recommended for four-stroke naturally aspirated, turbocharged and supercharged diesel engines with Diesel articulate Filters (DPF), Diesel Oxidation Catalysts (DOC), and Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR). Examples of applications include; heavy-duty off-road equipment, vehicles with John Deere iT4 engines, vehicles requiring CJ-4 oil, on-road trucks, marine engines, natural gas engines,pickups, and automobiles. Plus-50 II is also recommended for use in all legacy diesel engine
applications where Plus-50 has been in use.

Specifications
API service categories:
- CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4
- SM, SL, SJ
ACEA (Europe) oil sequences:
- E9, E7
JASO (Japan) oil standards:
- DH-2
Major diesel engine manufacturers’ requirements:
- John Deere JDQ-78X
- Mack EO-O Premium Plus 07
- Cummins CES 20081, 77, 76 (15W-40), 75
- Caterpillar ECF-3, ECF-2, ECF-1-a, TO-2
- Mercedes Benz 228.31 (15W-40)
- Detroit Diesel 93K218 (15W-40), 93K214 (15W-40)
- Volvo VDS-4, VDS-3, VDS-2
- Renault RLD, RXD, RD
- Man M3275
- MTU Type 2.1
Typical Properties
15W-40
Viscosity @ 40°C 128.0 cSt
Viscosity @ 100°C 15.6 cSt
Viscosity Index 127
HTHS Viscosity @150°C 4.3 cP
Pour Point -36°C
Flash Point °C 225
Total Base Number (TBN) 10.5
Sulfated Ash 1.0

Yup i knew that,my dealer still has a good stock of CI(15w40) left,i think it's the same oil they just adjusted the additive package to meet CJ-4 specs,great oil i would rather have CI with the better AW and cleaning property's my self.

0/40 is still CI or are they changing that also????

welcome to the board,nice to have a JD official on board so to speek.

Yes, 0/40 is going to the new standard as well. This all has to do with making sure that the new Tier 4 engines stay within the new emissions standards.

They're saying that a Tier 4 engine using Plus 50 II will be able to go 500 hrs between oil changes vs. the 250 hrs recommended in the operators manual. But they also recommend an oil scan before going to the extended interval.

Originally Posted By: TexHill
Yes, 0/40 is going to the new standard as well. This all has to do with making sure that the new Tier 4 engines stay within the new emissions standards.

They're saying that a Tier 4 engine using Plus 50 II will be able to go 500 hrs between oil changes vs. the 250 hrs recommended in the operators manual. But they also recommend an oil scan before going to the extended interval.

Yes i understand that also,we still only do 200hr OCI on our units,we have tractors 10,000 plus hrs on the original rebuild,fire right up in winter.

Originally Posted By: kd5byb
Hmmmmn... I may try some 15W-40 in my '97 Mustang GT during the summer. It goes out very little (3k a year) and gets driven like it was stolen.
19.gif
Got a ton of Delvac for $6 a gallon at wally world...
Let the oil warm up before you drive it like you stole it .

Originally Posted By: kd5byb
Hmmmmn... I may try some 15W-40 in my '97 Mustang GT during the summer. It goes out very little (3k a year) and gets driven like it was stolen.
19.gif
Got a ton of Delvac for $6 a gallon at wally world...

With a 15w in there I bet that thing is going to rattle like mad on initial startup. I hope you at least have a Motorcraft filter on it. The 2v mod motors are already known for some piston slap when cold. A 15w is not going to help that situation.

Last edited:
Can i ask what you payed for your plus 50? around here it's little pricey for the 0/40.

I just called another dealer here that sells John Deere construction equipment, and they wanted $7.67 per quart. Eff that.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Can i ask what you payed for your plus 50? around here it's little pricey for the 0/40.

I just called another dealer here that sells John Deere construction equipment, and they wanted $7.67 per quart. Eff that.

Yea but remember this is a PAO based oil good oil,well built,but yea little pricey i hear ya ,i did better with hour farm account i can score it for $6.08 a qt,,$113 5 gal pal,not bad,thought about grabbing a pal to add to my P50 15w50 pals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back