New cooling hoses on CBR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

V1

My CBR is 6 years old. A few of the radiator hoses started leaking around their hose clamps last summer, but they stopped after I tightened the clamps down slightly. It's possible that a couple of them still dribble a bit.

Yesterday I started to take the bike apart in preparation for a valve inspection. I began to wonder if it would be worth replacing all the rubber coolant hoses since they are all so readily accessible. Every single hose can easily be replaced right now, but otherwise they probably won't be seen again for years to come unless something bad happens.

Several of the hoses have a weathered and hardened appearance. Especially the ones that pass only a couple of inches from the exhaust pipes. It would cost me about $70 for all new hoses. Is it worth the ounce of prevention for me to replace them now?

I would go ahead and replace them. It won't be pretty (or comfortable) when one bursts at highway speed.

Originally Posted By: V1
Is it worth the ounce of prevention for me to replace them now?

I think you know the answer already to your question.

$70 is cheap compared to how much the skin graft costs if that coolant hits the rear tire at 65mph (which is why all bike racing bans eg and pg based coolants on asphalt).

I never even considered the possibility of coolant getting on the back tire. That would be a pretty unfortunate way to go down. Even though I don't really need to replace ALL the hoses, I'm going to do it anyway. The bike had a leaky hose problem before, so I might as well eliminate that from happening again.

So can anyone tell me if the new hoses go on dry? Or should I use some water to help them slip on easier? Any tips on how much to tighten the clamps? Book doesn't give torque values for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back