2010 Camry wants 0W-20 - and weird filter???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: heypete
Originally Posted By: kballowe
He's supposed to bring the car over this weekend so I can look at it. Is there some special magic involved in changing a canister oil filter on these new Camrys?

From what I've been able to find out, evidently the housings for the cartridge filters are quite sensitive to torque values. Be sure to use an accurate torque wrench.

I'm not sure if special tools are required. I don't think they are for my fiancee's 2010 RAV4, but I could be mistaken.

Also, the filters are likely available for a modest price from your Toyota dealer. The few aftermarket cartridge filters I saw didn't seem to be nearly as high-quality as the Toyota ones.

Personally, I like spin-on filters better as there's less chance of damaging the filter element, a wide variety of options from the aftermarket, and (if one does it right) no contact with used oil. Changing filters also renews various rubber parts, like the ADBV.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GENUINE-T...=item3eee5db9ff

$46 shipped for a case of ten Genuine Toyota filters. Plus there's 8% Bing Cashback right now.

Cartridge filters are also cleaner to change. You can drain the oil from the housing before removing the element.

As long as you are careful, you probably won't need a torque wrench. Then again, I can't speak for anyone's mechanical skills (but my own), so a torque wrench is probably a good idea if you are unsure.

Yes, it's plastic.
Dealer also said that he should bring it in to them because it was very complicated. Something about making sure that the center stem doesn't come out or he would be buying another engine.

That warning wouldn't be a bad idea for some cartridge filters, especially the VW 2.0T ones. The thickness of the housing is about the same as a red party cup. When you remove the filter cap (which is always super tight for some reason), it feels like you're going to shear off the entire housing. And lots of people have-- and find they have to replace it at a cost of $85.

Vehicle is under warranty. Have him take it to the dealer that way there is a record of the work being done and they have the correct filter, oil, etc., and are familiar with changing it.

Why could ya not use 5W-20?

By mandating 0W-20 Toyota is mandating synthetic oil use.

To my knowledge there are no conventional or synthetic blends that class as 0W-xx. 5W-20 on the other hand doesn't have to be fully synthetic.

This is really going to hurt Toyota. People buy Camry's b/c they are an inexpensive, economy sedan. People catch wind of the fact that they have to buy 'expensive' synthetic, that a lot of QL's DON'T have, for their economy car, and folks will just walk away.

This, and the recall, is going to sink Toyota. they will most likely end up third, behind Ford and Hyundai......

In '08 the Corolla with the 1.8L engine spec'd 5W-30.

I don't get it.

So it's the whole "green" thing? Cartridge oil filters and 10,000 miles on an oil change. OK, less waste, right?

Must be a good thing, right?

The next question is - can he actualy go 10,000 miles on an oil change, and if so, what kind of oil would that be? I have this thought in the back of my mind that a 0W-20 wouldn't be good for 10,000 miles but hey, it could happen.

That Mobil 1 Gold Cap says that it's guaranteed for 15,000 miles.

Anyone?

In '08 the Corolla with the 1.8L engine spec'd 5W-30.

I don't get it.

It happens. Different engine, different spec...

So it's the whole "green" thing? Cartridge oil filters and 10,000 miles on an oil change. OK, less waste, right?

And lower total cost of ownership.

Must be a good thing, right?

You pay less, your car spends less time in the shop, the environment thanks you, and your engine doesn't know the difference. Sounds like a win to me.
wink.gif

The next question is - can he actualy go 10,000 miles on an oil change

As long as the engine is in good running order and the service is not severe, yes.

and if so, what kind of oil would that be?

The one the company recommends, or an equivalent.

I have this thought in the back of my mind that a 0W-20 wouldn't be good for 10,000 miles

Why not?

Use what TOYOTA specifies.
Remember the time part of the 1year / 10K miles.....whichever comes first.
Toyota has resonable prices on OEM parts....particularly if you shop online.....And their filters are well respected on this forum.
Don't let the media hype scare you, Toyota puts out a quality product.....and your friend has a very nice ride that should give him years of great service.
They will work through their problems and stand behind their product.
The Camry is a very poplular car.....lots of them out there....so parts are going to be resonable due to the volume and competition.
The cost of a oil change, even with a more expensive fully synthetic 0W-20 oil, done at the dealership, is MINIMAL in cost in vehicle ownership......and SAVES far more money than not doing it, when specified, or sooner as some cases may call for.
I am not saying that you have to have it done at the dealership, just stressing not to sweat the "cost" of maintenance.
Make sure to hang on to your recepts if done elswhere....and keep a log of what service was done when, what mileage, and where.
This will help you in case there is a waranty repair issue.

I did read someplace that the hybrid vehicle needs the lighter oil because of the many startup cycles that the gasoline motor goes through.

However, Toyota is trending to the 0W-20 oils.......Honda and FORD have been at 5W-20 for some time now.
For those of you out there who, like me, remember 10W-30 as being the standard "lighter grade" of oil.....it is a adjustment, but trust the folks who design these things.

The cap on my Mazda cartridge filter in a Nylon reinforced thermo plastic and it is very strong. I'm glad mine is not plastic like labmans Ecotec. :). Mine is a bit of a hassle as it is mounted upside down, but, I do like the cartridge type filters. I see what is going in and coming out. No concerns about installing a spin-on that may have holes in the media or loose end caps or missing parts.

OK, the weird filter: Having purchased a new Sienna in 2008 - that uses the same filter- the dealer soon began to send a coupon flyer in the mail. Each time it had genuine Toyota filter coupons, 2 for 10 bucks.

So for 5$ each you get a filter, and proof of purchase from your dealer for warranty purposes.

If you get these coupons.... grab em and go!!

Yes, my Sienna will only get 0W20.... I have already had great luck with it in severe towing duty and easily reaching very high miles - 300, 000 and motors that still seem like new!

Last edited:
My 2009 4 cylinder Camry rental (with 49,000 miles on it!!!) had 0w-20 printed on the oil fill cap as well.

I'm pretty sure that canister filter is identical for the 3.5 V6 as well. They aren't hard, just replace all the o-rings that come with the new filter you will be fine.

When you do replace the O-rings, be sure they are in the right place and not on the threads. A few dealership oil changes resulted in loss of oil on some Tundra's due to improper filter replacement. Yes, i said 'dealership' oil changes!!
The large O-ring goes on the filter canister housing itself above the threads, and the small one goes under the drain cap.
The stem inside the cap is what the scare tactic is all about. Just be careful with it and you'll be fine. When you're tightening it down, it will bottom out on the block. You're tight enough then, and good to go. I usually just use the extension part of the 3/8" ratchet, and stick it in the cap to tighten which helps to assure no overtightening.

They really aren't too bad to do, they're just different. Oh, and trdparts4u.com has the best prices on them.

My bro's got a 2010 2.5L SE camry, and he really likes it. Went to Las vegas in January, which yielded 36.8 mpg at 75mph.

Nice cars, but they are in serious need of LED interior lighting as the OEM lights are yellowish and dull. The LED conversion is a really nice upgrade, and much brighter.

i bought a shallow socket for G5, it was like 6$ on internet... i put 5-30 in my focus sometimes, i dont know why it would matter if it wasnt 0-20

We'll get 0W10 in USA in less than 5 years and at that time you'll get 0W20 in Australia. Another 5 years after that we'll get 0W5 and you'll get 0W10.

with a 2010 car only requiring 10000 or once a year oil changes why in the world would you not take it to the dealer for o/c the Toyota ow-20 is supposed to be fantastic oil. just double check everything when you get it home.
I have been a master ASE mechanic for 30 years and I still take my cars to dealer for o/c during warranty period, its not that expensive and well worth it if you ever have an engine issue under warranty,
I know they still have to cover it for diy guys but I have worked at dealers and if you have documented maintenance records its usually a no questions asked thing. o/c at dealer also starts relationship with service people if you do need something later in the future.

You have nearly 500 posts, use the viscosity the OEM recommends.
Use what Toyota requires. 0W-20 is a great viscosity and there are some excellent choices.

As for the tool - I have seen the results from people trying "homemade" canister tools. Not pretty. OTOH, I have not seen that particular wrench you mention. Maybe ask on the Toyota boards as well.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: bepperb

The cartridge filter is the direction things are headed.

In about 1956, Chrysler had a sales campaign called "Suddenly, its 1960."

Well if canisters are the way of the future, then "suddenly, its 1930." The last canister filter vehicle I owned was (is) my 1949 Plymouth Coupe.
Ive read it's an environmental waste/carbon footprint issue. The "used cartridges sans can" burn nicely in the incinerator and the shipping weight is less on the new case of filters with no metal. PITA, I like no-lick stamps and spin on filters myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back