Delo 400 LE 15W-40, 4694mi, 96 Ford E350,7.3L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford E350 Ambulance with the 7.3L turbo diesel, 88,440 mi on unit

Delo 400 LE 15W-40, 4,694 mi and 15 months on oil (ambulance service so from an hours stand point this drain is probably equivalent to about twice the odo mileage.)

2 Qts make up oil

Napa Gold oil filter

Analysis by Schaeffer's

Cu---2

Fe---19

Cr---2

Al---4

Pb---1

Mo---70

P---1092

Z---1250

Mg---349

Ca---1877

Na---11

K---0

Antifreeze, fuel, H20=0

Si---4

Visc @100C= 14.16

Ox---7

Ni---8

Soot--- .1

Oil analysis sure can be a useful tool. When I first took my job and started an oil analysis program this unit had a severe intake leak that was found via analysis and repaired by an outside shop. The iron, chromium and nickel were all very elevated. Since the repair the metals have been trending down nicely.

This oil was drained and I refilled with Schaeffer's Supreme 7000 15W-40.

Last edited:
Nothing out of place here...Delo really works well is PSD's.
thumbsup2.gif

Nice report,stayed in grade why the switch to Schaeffer's?? clearly the Delo is doing the job quite well.

Originally Posted By: daman
Nice report,stayed in grade why the switch to Schaeffer's?? clearly the Delo is doing the job quite well.

I imagine it's because he uses Schaeffers in the fleet.

Originally Posted By: panthermike

I didnt see that stated...

The rough equivilant of 9k+ miles (an approximation by the OP of 1/2 idle and 1/2 moving) on dino Delo, and stellar numbers after more than a year's duration!

That oil could still have been useful, most likely. No TBN in the report, but I suspect it was still viable when dumped. Granted the make up oil might have skewed the TBN a bit, so we'll never know. I'm always curious as to when the make up oil is added? Was it 1 quart at a time, broken up over a few thousand miles each?

Yet more evidence putting OCIs in perspective. The whole "... or one year" oil change mentality is purely a legal cover for the OEM and lube manufacturers. I certainly understand that they don't want a "limitless" boundry, but the old school thoughts of time based duration really don't seem to apply any more. Super-long chronological exposure (like use after 7+ years of storage, etc) is not a good idea; I agree with that. But dumping oil after it becomes 366 days old in the crankcase does not make much sense to me.

Even the Fe was good, considering nearly 4.5k miles of running and 4.5k miles idle time. And what about that supposed dreaded PSD shear?

Some people will seek out the former CI-4 and CI-4+ formulations of oil, because they perceive them to be "better", but just how badly did the CJ-4 perform here? I say it was super!

Gotta love it.

I hope the Schaeffers 7000 does a good job, because the Delo LE set the bar pretty darn high for what was probably a very reasonable cost.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

Some people will seek out the former CI-4 and CI-4+ formulations of oil, because they perceive them to be "better", but just how badly did the CJ-4 perform here?

Do we know for sure this is CJ?? could be old stock CI..i don't see it posted anywhere in the OP.

Some people will seek out the former CI-4 and CI-4+ formulations of oil, because they perceive them to be "better", but just how badly did the CJ-4 perform here?

Do we know for sure this is CJ?? could be old stock CI..i don't see it posted anywhere in the OP.

Re: Delo 400 LE 15W-40, 4694mi, 96 Ford E350,7.3L

Originally Posted By: panthermike

I didnt see that stated...

You're right, not in this thread. He's mentioned it in other UOA threads, such as the Crown Vic one's. Also, this is just a guess. I am only assuming that's the reason.

Delo did a fine job BTW!

Honestly, like Dave mentioned, CJ4 oils are doing extraordinarily well. I remember the fuss in 2006 when they entered the market and the hysteria they (not the oils, but those who resisted the change) created. You have only to attend a diesel pickup forum to see some of the old views of those who refuse to budge on their CI4 oils...one day they will be incredibly difficult to acquire. TBN's have been boosted in the last year, and a 10 tbn compared to a 12 really shouldn't dissuade one from using an oil. Even the ZDDP numbers in most CJ oils are respectable!
The wonderful thing about this forum is that it expels the myths...
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
In theory if todays ULSF are easier on oil thus lowering/not needing a high TBN(CJ) then wouldn't running a CI4 oil result in a more roust oil capible of even a longer OCI because of the higher TBN to start vs CJ?

the soot handling capability's seem the same to me.

Just to be clear, I believe it's a fair assumption that the Delo in this UOA is CJ-4 because it's stated as the "LE" (low emissions) variant. That is Delo's designation for the CJ-4, IIRC. Here is the data from their website:
Delo 400 LE SAE 15W-40 (API CJ-4)
Delo 400 Multigrade SAE 15W-40 (API CI-4 PLUS)
Delo 400 SAE 10W, 20, 30, 40, 50
Delo 400 Synthetic SAE 0W-30
Delo 400 LE Synthetic SAE 5W-40 (API CJ-4)

Also, the soot handling capabilities of the CJ-4 variants are much improved over the CI-4 fluids. It is incorrect to assume they are similar to the former variants. Every single website of all the major players (Delo, Delvac, Rotella, VPB, Tect-Xta) profess the much greater ability of CJ-4 to handle soot. They had to become better, because the ever increasing use by percentage of EGR. The new engines are designed to use more EGR, hence the need to control soot with ever greater tenacity.

So, with the use of ULSD fuel, you will get less acid production, hence the need for less TBN. And, you get increased soot handling capacity with CJ-4. So, it's really a great approach to use CJ-4, even in an older engine.

The proof is in the puddin', so to speak. Look over the UOAs of CJ-4, and show me any conclusive evidence where there was actually a decrease in wear protection performance. Occasionally you see some wildly bad UOA, but that's never a function of the oil so much as a mechanical problem.

In healthy engines, CJ-4s simply rock. And this UOA is no different; it proves the point.

Last edited:
The oil is CJ-4. The LE in the name I believe was added at the time Delo went CJ-4.

panthermike is correct we use Schaeffer's as our fleet oil in ambulances, fire apparatus and police cruisers. This oil pre-dated the switch of the fleet over to Schaeffer's. Before I was buying oil here and there as needed which was a royal pain.

dnewton,

I agree the time lines manufacturers use is a safety net that is there for the folks doing low miles who don't analyze their oil to catch problems. I am comfortable going for long periods of time with the proper set of oil analysis tests. For extended drain in the diesels I use Polaris labs and get both a TAN and TBN done. Going for such extended time periods however I will probably be a little conservative with the TAN and TBN levels.

I have no complaints about CJ-4 oils and TBN retention seems to be comparable to the CI-4 oils from what I've seen. We have no units in the fleet yet that require CJ oils but we will be getting one in a few weeks.

Honestly, if your shop is using Schaeffers 7000 as a bulk lube, there is a large amount of convenience to keeping things simple, and using it across the board. The Schaeffers is, after all, an awesome product in it's own right.

I just enjoy pointing out the awesome performance of CJ-4 dino's, regardless of brand, when the opportunity exists. As D-Roc said, it's great to dispell mythology. I believe he was a big Delo user back in the day. I'd love to try it, but it's simply never on sale in my area. I can find Delvac and Rotella routinely on sale. Since all the major players perform so well, I am now allowing my wallet to choose the oil, and not my emotion.

Last edited:

I just enjoy pointing out the awesome performance of CJ-4 dino's, regardless of brand, when the opportunity exists. As D-Roc said, it's great to dispell mythology. I believe he was a big Delo user back in the day. I'd love to try it, but it's simply never on sale in my area. I can find Delvac and Rotella routinely on sale. Since all the major players perform so well, I am now allowing my wallet to choose the oil, and not my emotion.

This is about where I am in my HDEO philosophy these days.

But in order of "goodness" would it be 1) Delvac, 2) Delo, 3) Rotella? In other words, if these three were the same price, which would you buy?

dnewton,

Yes, there is a lot to be said for having the oil show up on site with no added cost for shipping. The Schaeffer's is serving us well.

I also agree the CJ-4 oils are better oils. I think some see less metallic adds in a spectro and assume the oils are "weaker".

As Dave mentioned, I was a big Delo user, (still a big fan of it). It's what I started using when I purchased my first Dodge Cummins. I found its performance and protection to be top notch (in addition to others). I've only switched due to availability issues, as well as using one oil year round instead of 15W40 most of the year and then 5W40 when its cold...and it gets cold where I am. Finding oil where I live now has become frustrating for me...I can get Amsoil online for about the same cost as a regular synthetic (and even sometimes cheaper) than in town where I live, so it's really a matter of logistics for me. The once a year oil change is nice too.
I've been running a mixture of AME and HDD the past 6 months to finish up what I had laying around, but my next choice is most definitely going to be DEO (CJ4).
Chevron Delo is still a great oil, and I will always hold it in high regard. It can definitely be used with confidence.

I can find Delvac and Rotella routinely on sale. Since all the major players perform so well, I am now allowing my wallet to choose the oil, and not my emotion.

That is the way I feel about it also.

With the price of oil always going up, it makes it easier to look at other oils that don't pass on their advertising costs along with the price of a quart of oil .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back