Mobil 1 0W-40, 3900 miles, 07 MINI Cooper S

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a 2007 MINI Cooper S with a turbocharged engine.

The oil sample was taken during an oil change. This oil saw 2 hours of hard driving on a race track. The current UOA is for Mobil 1 0W-40. The samples dated 03/29/09 and 02/01/09 are for gold GC. The sample dated 05/24/08 is for BMW/MINI 5W-30 oil.

Any comments?

MINI-FourthOilAnalysis.jpg

BLACKSTONE COMMENTS: Thanks for the note about the track time. Had you not mentioned it, we never would have guessed. Guess those guys (and gals) at BMW really do know a thing or two about building nicely wearing engines. We generally suggest keeping your oil runs short when racing, as that type of operation puts extra stress on an engine, but we think going 5K mi on your next oil should work fine. The TBN read 5.3 so you still had plenty of active additive left. We consider a TBN reading of ~1.0 too low for extended use, as virtually all of the active additive in an oil has been exhausted.

lol... I think Troy_Built was razzing you. Boron is indeed an additive. Good report!

Great report,,didn't shear much nice thick 30w great TBN you found your oil stick with it,that 0/40 is a great oil.

Originally Posted By: qship1996
Enough iron to build a small bridge!!!

Oh please,
smirk2.gif
,the oil did great...
Originally Posted By: uzun
MINI Cooper S with a turbocharged engine.
This oil saw 2 hours of hard driving on a race track.

Thanks for the support guys! I have started stocking up on this oil.

Originally Posted By: daman

Oh please,
smirk2.gif
,the oil did great...

yeah everyone is so quick to bash Mobil 1 with iron particulates in UOA's..... what they didn't point out was..... with the highly coveted GC, there was more iron......

I agree, I get that much shear in my non DI Alti SER that doesnt see the track much and isnt fuel diluting.

Originally Posted By: 38sho

Oh please,
smirk2.gif
,the oil did great...

yeah everyone is so quick to bash Mobil 1 with iron particulates in UOA's..... what they didn't point out was..... with the highly coveted GC, there was more iron......

Uhm guys, surely you understand obvious sarcasm when you see it, no? Dude was joking.

btw... it's only M1 5w30 that throws the really hi Fe, afaik.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shpankey
Originally Posted By: 38sho

Oh please,
smirk2.gif
,the oil did great...

Uhm guys, surely you understand obvious sarcasm when you see it, no? Dude was joking.

btw... it's only M1 5w30 that throws the really hi Fe, afaik.

With all the M1 bashing on this forum hard to say who's who with the M1 camp.

Looks excellent, I'm planning on trying 0W-40 in my Integra this summer. I like to drive it spiritedly so I thought it would be a good fit for the warmer weather combined with my lead foot.

Originally Posted By: SilverGGA
Good report and I agree with Blackstone. Extend it to 5k, easier to remember and less oil waste.

It should be good for 10K miles/1 year if the oil is a good synthetic oil and the engine is a wonder of engineering no matter how hard the car is driven. 5K is a waste of money and time IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back