What oil should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Triumph Scrambler, its a 865cc parallel twin, oil cold engine(no radiator). Looking to keep it forever. I am running Mobil 1 20w-50 V twin currently. Owners manual calls for semi or full senthetic 10w-40 or 15w-50. Am I ok, or should I switch? And what kind?
Your help would be great. Thanks.

I'm not a Mobil fan but your current choice is a very good oil. Its alittle $$$ for me. ...IMO... Lots of great motorcycle oils to choose from. Speed safe!!

Ok, I was just worried because of it being air cooled, im not a big guru on oil, but I am learning as much as I can. Yes it is a bit pricey, though the manual calls for 15w and im running 20w, this shouldnt hurt correct?

M1 15-50 is also a fine choice, and probably a few $$$ cheaper than the V-Twin stuff. Check the Motorcycle UOA section and you'll see some good results with 15-50.
thumbsup2.gif

thanks guys, I can tell im going to be spending countless nights reading forums on this site, oil is so interesting

Quote:
oil is so interesting

And, I think some (most; all) of us go a trifle overboard about it sometimes. I mean, really, how many oil-related failures have we run across?? Our company has had dozens of vehicles on the road for the past 40+ years, and we've had exactly two oiling issues:
1. A Purolator filter that split lengthwise on a 2000cc Pinto engine. Replaced it, added some oil, and it went another 40-50K before it rusted away.
2. A later 2300cc, also in a Pinto, that ate the cam. Actually that wasn't strictly oil related; I think it was a design fault, 'cause they all did that...
frown.gif

But that doesn't stop us from hanging around reading/discussing/debating, does it??
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back