Best (Cheap) way to clean FUEL INJECTORS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey fellas, I am about to run an experiment on my car with larger injectors and ported intake system.

The plan is to get fuel injectors from a 3.2L engine and install them on my 3.0L.

The gain of fuel must be matched by some extra air which is where the bottle neck of the system will be ported, mostly around the throtle bodies of the engine...

The thing is the injectors that I am getting are 100K old... so I bet their spray pattern may be somewhat affected...

Is there a solvent or a chemical that will clean them on a home basis...
Cleaning service runs up around 15$/injector and I got 6 to clean include shipping etc... that will be 100$, and the injectors are around 45-50 to get to my house... so this will turn into an expensive night mare.

So can i use a over the counter solvent to clean them up before install... and which one will work the best?

Any info will be helpful.

THANKS.

No amount of porting will necessitate larger injectors over stock, so I think this is probably an exercise in futility.

Larger injectors or not, the ECU will vary the pulse width such that a stoichiometric A/F ratio is achieved, as long as all the O2 and various sensors are operating.

I don't think any cleaning is necessary for a modern fuel injector.. Install them and run some Chevron Techron additive through a couple of tanks is what I'd recommend.

Well the MAF sensor will read the amount of air entering but at the TB its quite tight, and has a good room for improvement...

Combine that with some smoothing of the ports that I can access, I think I can manage to squeeze a bit more air in it.

A larger MAF may also be installed in the future.

So if the Fuel Pressure remains the same but the injector has a larger flow rate say 240cc/min vs 225cc/min it will dump more fuel and when matched with more air I think the AFR will remain around 14.7:1.

Its just a cheap experiment that i want to see if it will work.

Others on the other side of the big pond have reported that with the 3.2L some porting they have seen an increase of 7-10hp... and with a chip another 25 or so...

There is a fella who is running nearly 235hp on his car, and mine is only at 195RWHP...

If the above mods can push it to 200 I will be quite happy.
Its a cheap upgrade due to lack of any other after market parts...

I think the point he was trying to make is that your car won't really care which injectors you have. The stockers probably aren't maxed out as-is, and won't be after the porting. I don't know enough to guess who this will affect fuel trims since what the ECU expects to be sprayed has changed with out any change to the fuelling tables.

OTC cleaners work while you drive. You can buy an ultrasonic cleaner and bathe them in some Techron but I've done that and don't bother any more since the in tank additives work so well. If you need instant results then you'll need to send them in.

ECM are already made to richen at full throttle so you have the extra power when you need it and long engine life when you don't. Bigger injectors makes it more likely that some operating conditions will run uncontrollably rich and if one of those conditions is normal long distance driving then the rich mixture will foul your oil and wear the engine out. It's what happened to the first Chevy 350 in my Roadmaster when someone (not me) in a misguided attempt for power swapped the 350 injectors for 454 injectors because, everyone knows that more fuel is more power. Sure there was more power because it was running rich all the time but the compression plummets as the cylinders wear out and the power disappears and the engine is ruined.

After fixing those problems and more I've restored the original power with proper 350 injectors which is way more than it had with the 454 injectors. The engine didn't need more fuel. It needed the right things serviced so it could properly burn the fuel it was given.

I see what you are saying but in your case someone went from 350 to 454, and thats a huge bump isnt it...

I am going from 184 to 196 and also doing some porting of the induction system to allow for slightly more air to enter.

I think the combination of the two will improve the power but only slightly.
Since the changes are happening after the MAF I think the rest of the functions will remain the same and if rich condition is in deed found the system will dial back some to keep things in check.

I will do some DYNO testing and see if there was any affect.

I have talked to several people who think and suggest the upgrades planned.

This looks cool, like how the shops do it. Way more concentrated than dumping something in your tank... it hooks up to the fuel rail.

I would focus on porting for more air for more power as others have said. Running too rich actually cuts your power as the fuel takes space that would actually be used by needed air. Most of the time you don't see bigger injectors going in until nitrous or forced induction happens. And don't put the injectors in now b/c you'll get a turbo "someday".
lol.gif

When I was doing my thesis, the test rig had Bosch Mechanical injectors which were clogged, as the previous bloke had been playing with methanol etc.

Ultrasonic bath (can buy them on ebay) did little, but did get them to drip.

CRC System 1 cleaner got them flowing, and spraying correctly, albeit at around 10 times the recommended treatment rate.

CRC System 1 Cleaner? Where can I get that?

The injectors will have 100k miles on them, my car currently has 145K so these should still be good.

They also come from a car that was running but had timing belt failure.

I think a simple bath clean, and then some injector cleaner will do the trick for the most part.

You don't need larger injectors.
Not only are they useless in your case, but you will need a new computer or other tuning to make them work right.
A bottle of good injector cleaner like strong Chevron Techron in the tank is about as cheap as you can get. Do it twice [in succession] if you want to.

I've cleaned fuel injectors by taking them off and soaking them in Techron Fuel System cleaner. I rigged up a 9v battery with clip leads and an old doorbell switch. Puddled up a bit of cleaner on each end of the injector while clicking the switch momentarily and watching the cleaner get sucked inside the injector and drip out the other side. After doing this backwards and forwards a few times with each injector to make sure they were completely filled inside, I let them soak over night submerged in the Techron cleaner. The next day, I took them out and repeated the same process, but with carb cleaner back and forth through each injector. Reinstalled them right away and saw a major improvement at WOT on the test drive. This also solved a hard starting problem, which was why I was trying to clean them in the first place. I was worried about the carb cleaner possibly damaging something inside the injector, but have had no problems after six months driving this vehicle.

Im having to much fun, I added 10 oz of mmo, and 10 oz of Lucas gas additive to 30 gallon tank of gas. It ran somewhat rough for a short time, then the smell out of the exhaust smells like some of those dryer sheets do, lol. Ok, all is well now, the engine is being cleaned, and the carb and the injectors and the yard smells good when idling,,,,,,,,,,,I need my meds.lol

Originally Posted By: Catera

The plan is to get fuel injectors from a 3.2L engine and install them on my 3.0L.

Are you sure that the injectors used on the 3.2L engine are really bigger than the ones used on your 3.0L engine?

They may well be the same size. There just aren't that many different sizes of injectors out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back