Using Seafoam before I change oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1/3 of the Seafoam bottle will be fine. I ran this amount even with full engine oil for 2 weeks prior to changing oil.

Remember that the more diluted your mixture, the less it will do.
And longer is better than shorter for any cleaning benefits.
So the question is if seafoam is OK in a crankcase.
It is very thin and has strong solvents. It's NOT a good lubricant.
I might use it in a lawnmower.

Originally Posted By: BurgerMcDo
Did it work?

Yes. Alot of gunk came loose and drained out. The oil was noticeably watery looking and BLACK. I was satisfied. I did 1/3 in engine oil, 1/3 in gas tank, 1/3 in vacuum line in the same day. Then as I said 2 weeks later changed the engine oil.

Originally Posted By: BurgerMcDo
What brand would you recommend for engine flush?

If I was going to put Seafoam into my oil it would be for only a few minutes before changing the oil and only at idle. Seafoam is more of a solvent than a lubricant. I feel that Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) would be a better choice if you want to run it for awhile before changing the oil.

I put Seafoam down the line to the oil separator on my BMW. I would imagine it melts all the sludge in it - I still have the original one on my '02 330 ci @ 125 k miles. Appears to good stuff!

Seafoam is 100% safe for use in your crankcase. Don't get spooked off by people who have no clue. Just follow the directions the mfg provides. Use the correct amount based on how much oil is in the crankcase. It is an ounces of Seafoam per/qts of oil formula.

I believe the formula is 1 1/2 oz of SF p 1 qt of oil. Says right on the can.

I use it all the time in engine crankcase's for various reasons from flushing to removing moisture. It is a 100% petroleum based product. It is not a harsh solvent nor is it full of chemical additives as some have said above. It is a perfectly safe to use product in the crankcase.

Seafoam can be added and then the oil changed pretty quick or it can be run in there for a while. All depends on what you are using it for? I have run it for 20 minutes and then changed and I have run it for 2 weeks and 1000 miles.

Go to their web site and you can find all the info you need...

http://www.seafoamsales.com

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shrooms
What common symptoms for using Seafoam?

Depends on how you use it. 1. If you want to burn some carbon up and smoke up the neighborhood: introduce Seafoam to a vacuum line.

2. If you want to clean your engine from sludgy goo: Add some to the crankcase and run it. For example I used 1/3 bottle and ran it for 2 weeks before draining the engine oil.

3. If you want to use it to act as a fuel additive you add it to the gas tank.
-------
It's multi-useful.

At many oil change places, they use something similar.

The procedure: Pour a 12 oz bottle of engine cleaning solvent into the oil fill hole
run the engine at idle for 15 minutes
then do the rest of the oil change normally

It does remove some gross stuff when used in an engine that is not well maintained, or got regular oil changes years ago, when oil technology wasn't so great.

However, I don't know how much stuff it removes when the engine is maintained well.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Seafoam... It is a 100% petroleum based product.

Isopropyl Alcohol is neither petroleum nor drinkable.

The amount recommended for engine oil is so small that the alcohol shouldn't be a problem.

Originally Posted By: severach
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Seafoam... It is a 100% petroleum based product.

Isopropyl Alcohol is neither petroleum nor drinkable.

The amount recommended for engine oil is so small that the alcohol shouldn't be a problem.

Seafoam is not Isopropyl Alcohol. As I said Seafoam is a 100% petroleum based product. Also, when did anyone say anything about drinking it?
21.gif

Quote:
Sea Foam Motor Treatment is blended oil, and WILL NOT run a gasoline, gas/oil mix or ethanol engine without introducing HYDROCARBONS (gasoline / ethanol) to the mixture at a minimum 50%

Quote:
Sea Foam Motor Treatment is a unique 100% pure petroleum oil product, developed to solve specific problems that are common to gasoline, gas/oil mixed fuels & diesel fuels used in all types and styles of 2 cycle, 4 cycle, diesel and Rotary (Wankel type) engines in common use in all automotive, truck, fleet, industrial, agricultural, specialty industries and small engine applications.

Quote:
SEA FOAM Motor Treatment is a 100% pure petroleum product that safely and effectively cleans internal fuel and oil system components, helping your gasoline or diesel engine run cleaner and more efficiently. SEA FOAM is an EPA-registered product, and will not harm engine components, seals, gaskets, catalytic converters or oxygen sensors.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Seafoam MSDS
IPA 67-63-0 10% - 20% by weight

The isopropyl is probably made from petroleum. Whether that makes it a petroleum product or not depends on how you ask.

I have used Seafoam in my gas to clean out the injectors. I don't know if it cleaned them but haven't had a problem with gas flow. I have recently added it to my crankcase and have left it in for 500 to 700 miles and counting. The oil has darkened but not to black. I wrote to Seafoam and got back the opinion that there is no limit on leaving it in for extended periods as long as you keep an eye on the oil. If it gets too dark they recommend changing it at that point.
I plan on changing the oil in the next 150 miles and installing a new Wix filter and a synthetic blend (50/50 combination of different oils).

Last edited:
If you change your oil regularly and use Top Tier fuel, Seafoam and other products like it will remove deposits from your bank account, and that's about it. I've used it in small engines as a fuel stabilizer and never had issues but in reality, I doubt most fuel system cleaners do all that much if you've kept up on maintenance. Probably won't hurt much either. So if you sleep better at night, go for it.

Just my $0.02

How can it stabilize fuel?Actually aren't you adding alcohol to the fuel? No PEA so its not really cleaning that much if at all. I would look to Lubegard or Liquimoly for a true engine flush. A good PEA based fuel cleaner like Gumout would stabilize,clean,protect and eventually the PEA would get into the oil to help clean things up. Many here use a good PEA cleaner right before a oci knowing it can loosen some stuff up. Maybe a better oil or changing more often will give best results.

Originally Posted by Aikido
I wrote to Seafoam and got back the opinion that there is no limit on leaving it in for extended periods as long as you keep an eye on the oil.

Realize that the alcohol will boil off/vaporize the first time the oil gets to operating temperature. The only thing left is the oil base left behind. So there is nothing in the oil but oil after it gets hot.

Last edited:
The seafoam SDS page indicates it's the same chemistry marketed in different cans with different claims. I just noticed that isopropanol is the the word used. Don't remember that before. Thought it was IPA.

https://seafoamsales.com/sds/

I use gumout multi-system tune-up in place of seafoam now. It's part seafoam part techron in the same bottle. Used the same way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back