Race oil additive package methanol fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know how the additive package is adjusted when used with methanol race fuel? Drag race engines normally aspirated and one with a proper bracket tune up that doesn't milk the oil.

From the linked thread:

Quote:
molakule -- "... heavier cuts of base stocks and certain polymers ...". are you at liberty to expand on this in terms that a layman can understand? thanks for your comments.

Ok, a liitle background. Polymers (poly or "many") are large molecules made up of smaller linked monomers. Monomers (single molecular units) are linked up to make the larger molecules.

A single monomer molecule may shear (force across molecule) or pull apart (tensile force) during mechanical action.

A properly constructed polymer will resist shear because of it's contruction or "linkages."

Alchy fuels cause the base oils to thin out, shear faster, and break apart sooner than they normally would.

Most PCMO's are made of "binary" or two or more base oil viscosities.

For racing oils in alchy applications, you use a mixture of thinner base oils for flow at cooler temperatures, and you use heavier basestocks for operation at higher temps with alchy.

Mineral oil Brightstocks (thicker cuts of oi), or heaver (high viscosity) PAO's, or heavy esters can be used to "beefup" the oil film.

To help resist shear over the heavy cuts of base oils, these special polymers are used to resist the shear when the oil is thinned.

The AW and FM additive packs are usually beefed up by about 30% to help reduce wear during boundary lubrication.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
BTW, Bright Stocks are simply 30 cSt (high-viscosity) base oils refined from paraffinic crude.

Thanks for the explanation. The links provided are not me or what I do or even close. I do not milk the oil in fact I have little to now meth in the fuel.

So if you had to dumb it up, it's not the additive package at all and all about the base stock?

I'm looking at a straight 40W 100% paraffin based race oil. Schaeffer's. I have an older UOA of this I can post if anyone wants to critique it.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
It would be interesting to see. Go ahead and post it.

uoascheaffersmm40ww.jpg

Not bad at all for 22 runs.

But if I had a large investment in a HP engine that runs alchy, I would change oil after three runs to keep the viscosity and related oil films in check against fuel dilution and high shear.

Quote:
So if you had to dumb it up, it's not the additive package at all and all about the base stock?

It is always both, the complete integrated package. I was simply explaining that the major difference bewteen daily driver oils and specialty oils such as racing oils, is that the base oil viscosities and film strentgh against shear and fuel dilution are a major focus.

Last edited:
Here's some with extended interval and using RP XRP 10W-40.
The added qt's are when I check and clean my 30 micron System one oil filter.
The lead was from a primer idle gas fuel.
I have never seen any signs of dilution because of my tune up and how I run the engine. Vac pump and few other items.
Now look how the XRP Viscosity increased over time.
565xrp1202009.jpg

I would say the oil is working very well with this engine set up.

My previous comments were based mainly on dirt circle track work using small block engines with naturally aspirated, carbeurated setups. You were lucky to get 3 races out of the oil.

If your dragster is fuel injected and computer controlled, you will have leaner mixtures compared to those run on dirt circle tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back