polaris atv oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would you put in a sportsman 500 that calls for 2w50 syn

1. M1 TDT 5w40
2. M1 0w40
3. Castrol syntec 5w50
4. stay with the polaris 2w-50 $8.99 qt

I would like to use a mobil 1 product, its on sale, and the easiest to find. I just dont want to trash my motor if the polaris really needs a 50 weight oil.

Ben

I dont have a lot of knowledge about the polaris engines, but My Uncle owns a older polaris 500. My cousin owns two of them one is a 700 twin, and the other is a newer 800 twin. My dad owns a 700 twin. All of them use M1 15w50. I cant tell you if it is the best or anything, but they have not had any problems yet and we put about 1000 miles a year on our atvs. I believe my dads is in the 5k mile range. I also run the same stuff in my grizzly and it has almost 4 k miles on it. I know some of the polaris two cylinders did tend to run very hot. Of the oils you listed, i would rule out the 0w40 as it tends to sheer quickly comparatively. M1 15w50 does a really good job at flowing well when its cold. We were in WV about two years ago and all bikes started up in the morning when it was -8F outside. My grizz turned over slowly but did fire up. Good luck

Have the engines changed that much in the last few years?

Until recently, they spec'd 0W-40. I always used Rotella 5W-40 and Amsoil 10W-40 in my two 500's and 700.

I've run Amsoil 0-40 in my CanAm 800 V-twin for the past 4 years. I ride like I'm being shot at and had NO problems at all. CanAms are known for running very hot, even melting the plastics off the bike. I would think any X-40 or X-50 oil would be more than enough protection that 500 Popo.

Last edited:
Almost forgot, my buddy has a 500 X2 Polaris and has had the motor rebored due to damage suffered by injesting too much dirt in the intake. Make sure all your airbox connections and intakes are tight as to not bypass the filter. He also threw away the K&N filter he was using at the time and went back to the stock paper one with an Outerwears prefilter. It cost him over $1,400 to fix it! Lesson learned!

I have a 500 and a 700. I run Castrol Syntec in the 500, 5w40, I figure if its good enough for the Porshe its good enough for a Polaris. I ran 10w40 GTX Startup, that I got alot of on Clearance in the last oil change on the 700. Any good qaulity automotive oil should work fine in the Polaris sportsman, they dont share the transmission and motors and are set up like a car motor. The 700 overheated last ride but I think it was more to do with the Radiator being clogged with mud then anything else. Regardless, i dont think you are going to do anything worse to that oil in 1000 miles then a car will do to it in 5000.

Panzer,

What year is your 700? You mentioned the overheat, made me think of when I had this problem on my '02. It was a simple fix, dealing with a circuit breaker.

2002, I heard about them putting the wrong circut breakers in them. A 10amp when a 20 amp was required. I really think I just clogged up the radiator. I was hitting the mud pretty hard that day and it didnt heat up till the next day after the mud dried and we were putting around. I hosed the radiator out when I got home and refilled the coolant bottle.. I left it sit and idle for about a half hour to make sure it wasnt something mechanical like the fan, the hoses all got hot and the fan came on, so it seems to be ok. I heard online of some guys getting them so hot the plastic Ts in the hoses melted, I have trouble believing that.

hmm I have a 2007 Suzuki Eiger and my father has a 2009 Polaris Sportsman 400 I was going to run the Rotella 5w40 in both of them. We do not ride them hard, we use them for hunting and we hunt a lot. I wanted the 5w40 for the cold starts in the winter..

Is your Polaris under warranty? If so, use the correct weight and type of oil specified in the owners manual. If not....then you COULD use any one of those oils and probably be fine. If it was me, AND choosing only from the list of oils you've provided, I would just get the Polaris oil. Being that I have a Polaris 550X2 that takes the same oil, I have decided to use Red Line 5w-50 synthetic when my first oil change is due. Price is not an issue for me (not because I have lots of money....I dont) as it doesn't take all that much oil and being that it is the HARDEST used engine in my care, I want an oil company that produces oil that I have total trust in as far as quality. I know of no better oil out there for my ATV....and it comes very close to matching the weight of a 2w-50 (not that it matters....my warranty will be over very soon).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back