2004 Buick Rendezvous Cooling System

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been gradually getting my mother's Rendezvous' maintenance done with high quality materials. Recently did an oil change with Castrol EDGE and a Purolator Pure One oil filter and just today did an ATF change with Valvoline Dexron VI Full Synthetic.

So the next thing the manual says: Engine cooling system service at 150,000 (or every 5 years, whichever occurs first)"

The car does seem to heat up extremely fast and stays hot. I'm thinking that it is due for this. She is at 66,345 miles and it would be 6 years now.

I have no idea what I need to do or what or where to get to do this. If someone give me some suggestions that would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to continue reading in the manual and getting some other information online, but help from everyone on here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The easiest way to drain that is removing the lower radiator hose from the bottom of the water pump outlet housing. It will drain the coolant out of the engine and radiator. From there I would flush water through both ends until it's clean water.

I would use any G-05 clone coolant. Brand doesn't matter with this selection.

Refill car with the bleeders open. There is one on top of the T-stat housing, one on top of the water pump area. Do with with the engine off until some coolant come out. Start engine with cap on and bleeders open. The bleeder ontop of the water pump will start "peeing" close it. Allow to run until hot and coolant starts "peeing" out of the top of T-stat. Then open rad cap and add coolant slowly.

Some tips, the bleeders are 7mm. They are brass and will break extremely easily if over torqued. So they are definitely snug only!!!.

Since water was flushed through the system, I add straight coolant until the jug is empty. Then I pour half of the second jug into the empty first one and put additional water in them creating a 50/50 mix. From there I would use the mixed coolant for the remaining coolant needed to fill everything.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: radtech91
I found this post on another site: http://www.justanswer.com/questions/1affv-i-have-to-flush-the-cooling-system-of-my-2002-buick

Is that a pretty good way to do it?

Thanks beast3300!

That is an excellent procedure to do it. That's how you would do it on most vehicles too, drain the radiator then the block. You don't have to use Dexcool and can use G-05. that procedure was probably written by GM.

You might have trouble accessing the rear block drain though. If so and you have good tap water, another way to go about is since the thermostat is pretty easy to get to and you might want to replace it anyway, so do the folowing:
1. Remove thermostat then reinstall thermostat housing.
2. Remove upper hose from radiator
3. Install garden hose into radiator.
4. Run engine with heater on high until clear water runs out of the disconnected upper radiator hose.
5. Drain Radiator
6. Refill cooling system with 1/2 the capacity with concentrate, and top with water.

A 3rd way if you don't want to use tap water is to drain radiator, refill with distilled water and run engine hot. Repeat refill and engine warm up 3 times to get all of the old coolant out. Then drain radiator and refill with 1/2 of the capacity in concentrate. This is effective but time consuming.

I think you really only need to open the bleeder valves while refilling the coolant. Then close them after a steady stream of liquid flows out with no air.

I found this at this site: http://www.acdelco.com/html/pi_vehcare_mech.htm

"Part 10-110
Cooling System Fast Flush

Cleans a radiator, heater and engine block in one easy operation
Helps prevent overheating
Is formulated for use in all vehicles
Helps dissolve rust and grease in one step
Needs no neutralizer"

Also found this site: http://www.acdelco-india.com/products/car_care_product.html

It says: "Radiator Fast Flush
If an overheating engine under normal operating conditions has become a problem, ACDelco Radiator Fast Flush is the answer This concentrate of detergents and wetting agents loosens rust and scale from inside the radiator core , engine block, and coolant lines for ease of removal during the flushing operation. While cleaning out the radiator and engine block, the cooling system efficiency is restored, allowing the engine to operate properly.
Package Size: 350ml"

Do you think it wold be worth getting when I do the flush? Could it cut down on some time flushing the system out?

Last edited:
It sounds like good stuff, but unless you have some sludging or build up in the cooling system it's probably not necessary to use the chemical cleaner. It probably wouldn't speed up the process of flushing all the old coolant out. You would still need to flush water through the system to get the old colant and the cleaner out. So it might just add more time to the job. It'd probably get the cooling system flushed cleaner though.

Ok I was just wondering. Thanks!

I'm not sure when I'm going to do this flush but I know it needs done here soon. I'm going to stop by my local dealer and see how much the DEX-COOL is going to cost this coming week. If I have any more questions, which i'm sure I probably will think of more, I'll post back on here.

Thanks again everybody!

If you want to stick with Dexcool the Havoline is the same as GM's. I've seen it at O'reilly's and at Napa. Of course Prestone Dexcool is easy to find and to a lesser extent Zerex Dexcool at Napa. I think Havoline is slightly better.

Didn't get to stop by GM Service station, does anyone know how much that Dex-cool costs?

Most dealer just charge around list price so probably about $20-25/gal. A good price for concentrate Dexcool is ~$12/gal. Texaco's Havoline Dexcool is the same as GM. Did you check O'reily and NAPA? They usually carry Havoline Dexcool.

Dang that's a lot more expensive than I thought. Maybe I will be going for the Halvoline then. I'm not going to be doing the change for awhile. I want to wait till the weather gets better, and since it has snowed nonstop today it may be awhile. Anyhow, I'll go take a stop at napa and see how much it is.

Is the Halvoline the same as Dex-cool as in the 5 years/150,00 mile change intervals?

Havoline is GM Dexcool. There is also Prestone, Peak, and Zerex Dexcool. They all meet the specification and 5 year/150K miles service but they slightly vary in formula from Havoline/GM Dexcool. I think Havoline/GM is a slightly better formula, but Zerex is all right and NAPAcarries it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back