2006 s type 3.0 78000km - 16 000km or 1 year!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning everyone!! Just had my car in for its first service...Oil change $80....Castrol 5w30Dino....and they told me 1 year or 16000km....whichever comes first....I was amazed by this.....First thing I said was..."U SURE THIS WILL NOT VOID MY WARRANTY?? ( I have 3 years total care up to 140 000)
They said....NOPE. This was done at the Jag dealership...where I will be going for all service on my car....I have only had it a few months....They said if it makes me feel better to drain out clean oil and refill....by all means they will take my money! But this 16 000 or 1 year will be fine....
Anyone offer advice on this as I have never let any car I have owned go this long!!!!!
Thank you
PS: The warranty I purchased was purchased at the dealership...and they will do any warranty work....

$80 for castrol conventional doesn't sound right. If it was Castrol SLX or Edge their recommendations make sense. Otherwise, they do not.

Call them back and get the *exact* specs of the oil and filter that was put on the car and report back here.

European cars usually have OCI's of around 10k or 1 year, so that sounds about right.....but 'Castrol dino'?

Are you SURE it wasn't Syntec.....for $80 I'd hope so! (Even in Canada!)

Originally Posted By: SIXXDOGG
Good morning everyone!! Just had my car in for its first service...Oil change $80....Castrol 5w30Dino....and they told me 1 year or 16000km....whichever comes first....I was amazed by this.....First thing I said was..."U SURE THIS WILL NOT VOID MY WARRANTY?? ( I have 3 years total care up to 140 000)
They said....NOPE. This was done at the Jag dealership...where I will be going for all service on my car....I have only had it a few months....They said if it makes me feel better to drain out clean oil and refill....by all means they will take my money! But this 16 000 or 1 year will be fine....
Anyone offer advice on this as I have never let any car I have owned go this long!!!!!
Thank you
PS: The warranty I purchased was purchased at the dealership...and they will do any warranty work....

How many quarts of oil does your car take?

Hello all!
It takes 7 liters....Jag filter.....and other services...all fluid checks...road test...brake check....(incl 15% sales tax)

It is reg Castrol 5w30.
Even in my service manual it says reg 5w30....16000km or 1 year (on the oil cap it says CASTROL 5W30)

Last edited:
7 liters is a lot of oil for a relatively moderate 3L V6! I'm not at all surprised that you can go 16,000 km or 1 year on that, even with dino oil. For those of us here who don't speak metric, that's about 10,000 miles or 1 year on 7.4 quarts. Totally reasonable.

As long as your engine is in good shape and running well, and you drive moderately without a lot of short trips, you should be fine.

Originally Posted By: SIXXDOGG
Hello all!
It takes 7 liters....Jag filter.....and other services...all fluid checks...road test...brake check....(incl 15% sales tax)

Sales tax is down to 13% (fed & Prov)last time I checked...

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
7 liters is a lot of oil for a relatively moderate 3L V6! I'm not at all surprised that you can go 16,000 km or 1 year on that, even with dino oil. For those of us here who don't speak metric, that's about 10,000 miles or 1 year on 7.4 quarts. Totally reasonable.

As long as your engine is in good shape and running well, and you drive moderately without a lot of short trips, you should be fine.

It will most likely do it.......but if I had a 'high-end' car, I'd opt for a stouter synthetic.

But that's another 'fashion' here - pay good money for a top-end car, and then try to cheap out on the maintenance, so you're in good company!

With a 7 liter sump it should be just fine. That's plenty of oil for 10k miles.

Come to my place and I'll do your oil changes for $80... I'll even put a good syn like PP in there at no extra charge!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: addyguy
But that's another 'fashion' here - pay good money for a top-end car, and then try to cheap out on the maintenance, so you're in good company!

The S-Type 3.0 isn't a "top-end" car in the same sense as a Mercedes/Lexus/etc. The engine is a Ford Duratec 30 with some added goodies -- enough to make it distinct, but not exactly exotic. It's a great engine for sure, just not one that has any obvious need for expensive lubricants.

Besides, I don't think following the manufacturer's maintenance schedule is "cheaping out."

Now, if this dealer's recommendations are NOT what the manufacturer recommends, then that's another story.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back