Why do Jaguars leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

It was almost like someone coachwork and farmed out the rest of the assembly to the lowest bidder to get it to the customer.

That is not that far off the mark. Pre Ford, Jaguar designed and manufactuerd the body works and engines, and ran their wood shop. Hides, carpets, etc., came from Wilton, Connolly, or Bridge of Weir. Automatic transmissions came from GM or ZF. Diffs from Dana (usually). Brakes were Girling or Teves, and so on. Jaguar would assemble all the parts into a car, not unlike a small aircraft manufacturer would.

For all the talk about Lucas electrics and how bad they are, I have never seen a Jag with Lucas electrics - they were probably before my time. My first ones were full of Bosch, Hella, and A.B. Electrolux, the '94 is full of Denso, and I haven't had to work on the '04 (yet), as it just came off warranty, so I don't know what it's full of.

My E-Type (I-6, 4.2L) isn't that bad. Now oil consumption...that's a totally different story.

I had a 92 XJ6 and it did not leak any oil. Lot's of other quirky issues though.

Still has has to be the "coolest" car to own in my opinion; A real mans car no Japanese wimp cars...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back