Picked up a 2000 GMC Yukon and need advice on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a 2000 GMC Yukon XL (suburban) 5.3L 2WD. It has 141,000 miles on it. it will be mostly highway miles (100 to 150 miles)but thats may 2 to 3 times a week and local 10 to 15 miles daily if driven daily. I never used synthetic and want to try it out. I do not have a owners manual yet but ordered one. It has a vavoline sticker in the vehicle that says 10-30w. Far as i know the previous owner changed it at 3,000 miles. I am going to be going through everything on the vehicle to be sure everything is up to date and in good shape.

What do you recommend me using?

5W30 should be fine in that truck. If you plan on trying a synthetic oil PP is very good, and does some nice cleaning.

5w30 is better for the truck, it is preferred. Any of the major players will work well for you. What kind of oil change interval do you wish to run with this vehicle?

Will it matter weight wise for summer and winter? Is there much difference between a 5w30 and 10-30? Wondered since most oil changing places thats what they stick in vehicles. I always done 3000 mile oil changes over 100,000 miles but synthetic would change all that so figure 5,000 and go from there. I would like to clean the engine out if it works well longs it don't mess with the oil filter sump pump any. I would like to try royal purple sometime but PP be what i would start out with from what I been reading last few days.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bravo2
Will it matter weight wise for summer and winter? Is there much difference between a 5w30 and 10-30? Wondered since most oil changing places thats what they stick in vehicles. I always done 3000 mile oil changes over 100,000 miles but synthetic would change all that so figure 5,000 and go from there. I would like to clean the engine out if it works well longs it don't mess with the oil filter sump pump any. I would like to try royal purple sometime but PP be what i would start out with from what I been reading last few days.

You can safely go by the olm on these engines with out a thing to worry about. especially if you are running a synth. That of course if it has it.

the 10w30 vs the 5w30 only matters when it gets down to something like 20 degrees. At which point you should be using a 5w30.

Last edited:
Is olm meaning oil line mark? Or is it something along the line of factory recommended oil change? but then that does not match up with acronym,lol.

Originally Posted By: bravo2
Picked up a 2000 GMC Yukon XL (suburban) 5.3L 2WD. It has 141,000 miles on it. it will be mostly highway miles (100 to 150 miles)but thats may 2 to 3 times a week and local 10 to 15 miles daily if driven daily. I never used synthetic and want to try it out. I do not have a owners manual yet but ordered one. It has a vavoline sticker in the vehicle that says 10-30w. Far as i know the previous owner changed it at 3,000 miles. I am going to be going through everything on the vehicle to be sure everything is up to date and in good shape.

What do you recommend me using?

You wont need the owners manual, all the info you need is "google"able.

Drop the tranny pan and change the filter. Then use Dexron 6 for new fluid.

Get some synthetic 75w90 GL5 for the rear differential.

You'll need a new fuel filter, that's located on the driver side frame rail under the truck.

Pick up a new air filter for the engine, and I think your Yukon also has a cabin air filter underneath the passenger side dash.

For coolant you can use ZEXEL Dex-cool formula which is good stuff.

I use Valvoline or Chevron Supreme 5w-30 all year round. I usually do the OLM which gets me 6-8k OCIs

The rear end specifies 75-90 synthetic, I use Valvoline Synpower with 100k change intervals.

Last edited:
Even in S-TX, I use 5W-30 syn in my 2000 Silverado with the same 5.3L. The 10w-30 won't really hurt anything, but in cooler TN, 5w-30 is definitely the better choice. I do 10,000 mile OCI's with a Napa Gold filter and any of the name brand syns. Zero problems/consumption with 195K on the odometer. That engine is nearly indestructible. You will get many, many years of service.

if you have a rear main seal leak will PP or PU make it worse? I don't think i have this issue but incase i do I like to know if the cleaning properties will make it worse?

I know everyone says 5w30 so far and also read the manual I bought and it says 5w30 preferred of the two. Tep wise I don't need 5w30. In spring and summer would the 10w30 be better any? Is there a difference as far as thin oil differences between the two weights in PP and PU? Which should I try between PP and PU? Does the vehicle I have run better with one over the other as far as weight goes and then between PP and PU?

I done my first synthetic oil change. I bought the PP 5w30, I beleive next oil change I will go to 10w30 do to it will be close to summer then. I bought a mobil 1 filter also. I wished i got the bosh filter I was going to get but changed my mined before I left the store. I planned on doing the 3000 mile change then on next one go 5000 miles. I forgot about the 3000 mile oil change when i was at the store,lol. I found out I do not have a rear main sea leak its a leak a minor one above the oil filter were two bolts hold ona something with a round upward tube all metal. The oil change place said it was common in these vehicles and they did not know what the thing was were they think it is leaking at but said it was very minor and showed it to me. I changed the air filter to a fram toughguard also.

I do got to change the trans fluids and filter asap (very soon). I will do the coolant and thermostat after that soon also. Both need changing. What should I use as for synthetic transfluid and also coolant?

Last edited:
Any Dexron 6 spec trans fluid will work. I am using valvoline full syn Dexron 6 at the moment. For coolant anything G-05 formula will work. Brand is not a big issue because the spec is stringent on Dex 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back