Gonna price out RP 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Later today gonna locally price out RP 0w40. Hoping to purchase it for less than the price online
crazy2.gif

I figure I'll run M1 0w40 for 20K miles (2 intervals), then RP 0w40 for the next 20K miles.

If I don't find a good price locally, can anyone recommend a good place to buy online that's not $11 to $12 a quart?

O'Reilly had it for $10.44/quart (including military discount).

On a side note they had M1 TDT 5w40 in gallons, first time I've seen those ever, for $26/gallon.

Why don't you step down to a xW-30 weight for a little better mileage? My last 4 oil changes to a 30WT oil has netted me another 3+ mpg with my TDI. All UOAs show excellent result. Next oil change I am going to step down to a 20WT to see if I can squeeze any more mile out of a gallon of diesel.

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic
Why don't you step down to a xW-30 weight for a little better mileage? My last 4 oil changes to a 30WT oil has netted me another 3+ mpg with my TDI. All UOAs show excellent result. Next oil change I am going to step down to a 20WT to see if I can squeeze any more mile out of a gallon of diesel.

That's a possibility I might pursue in the future.

Which 30 wt oil are you using?

Royal Purple 10W30 CI-4, Lucas 5W30, Liqui Moly Longtime Hightech 5W30. I ran all of them as a blend with Redline 30WT race oil. I ran the RP out to 20K with excellent result. The Lucas has a TBN higher than 6 after 10K so in theory I could have ran it out to 20K also.

Mixing them with Redline racing 30 wt kinda negates accuracy though. Run them w/o the redline 30 WT and see how they do?

RP 10w30 is CI-4? The data sheet shows SL, while 10w40 and 15w40 are CI-4.

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic
Are you looking for accuracy (?????) or best protection for your vehicle?

CI-4 10w30 Royal Purple Long Rider here:

http://www.longrider.com/products/Motor Oil PS.pdf

Ah, I was going by the RP PDS: http://www.royalpurple.com/prod-pdfs/motor-oil-ps.pdf

Every oil I have used so far and done UOA with (CI-4+ TDT, CJ-4 D1 ESP, and CJ-4 DEO) have provided the best protection.

Saying you've had good results with Xw30 oils is a bit of misnomer, you added a racing oil into the mix. That skews the results for valid comparisons. How much of the performance/protection was the racing oil and how much was the road-compliant oils? We'll never know.
21.gif

Redline racing oil is also 30WT. I'm going from 40WT to 30WT and then 20WT and may be even 10WT (RP XPR 10 plus Redline 10WT race oil) in the future.

I'm not looking for a brand comparison, only what is the lowest oil weight that will give me the best mileage. I add Redline race oil as a preventive measure.

I looked again at the RP PDS, the diesel section has the CI-4 rated 10w30. Previously, I just skipped over that section as I saw the SAE 40 and the 15w40.

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Just at OReilly's and the had 5 quarts of RP with a K&N filter for $29.99

I'd be all over it at that price - unfortunately the latest special I saw for it down here was $39.99... And from here, you could practically throw a rock and hit the factory!

On a whim I bought 10 quarts of Redline 0w40. I figure buy oil now before prices go up :D

I've got enough oil for the next 2 or 3 years now.

Originally Posted By: Hoosier_Daddy
online ad says 39.99 too. beats the 49.99 that pepboys was running a while back

I saw that ad too and went to the store and when I got to the counter they put up a fuss because it wasnt 5w30 or 10w30 and I said it doesnt specify any grade in the ad and told them to keep the oil. Needless to say I got it for 39.99.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back