Commerical Vehicles and OCIs....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was watching the Mecklenburg County trash truck, then the recycling truck, then the yard waste trucks go by and the thought occurred to me these things are a stop-and-go nightmare. Wonder what the OCI is and what grade oil they use? They also sound like they rev very high - seems that way for a vehicle trvelling 20 feet at a time. I notice the high-rev sound on the city buses here in Charlotte as well.

They are not revving as high as they sound. Trucks and busses have huge engine cooling fans and those make lots of noise.

Most larger diesels are governed between 1800 and 2100 rpm.

Most all large truck engines are factory with bypass filtration for oil and coolant. I agree they may seem loud and reving but it's the cooling fan

Quote:
I agree they may seem loud and reving but it's the cooling fan

I remember hearing International school buses revving to what seemed like 10 grand when I was a kid, and thinking "wow".
shocked2.gif
Then they told me it was just the fan...
frown.gif

They're definitely not "revving high," and as others have said it may be the large cooling fans. But if the trucks and busses you're hearing are old enough, it may be that they have Detroit Diesel 2-stroke engines in them (lovingly referred to as "screaming Jimmies," for good reason.) 2-stroke diesels sound like they're revving twice as fast as they actually are.

This is a 2-stroke V6 diesel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEThhwNd3JM&feature=fvw

Sounds like its screaming, probably about 1500-1800 RPM max in that clip.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
They're definitely not "revving high," and as others have said it may be the large cooling fans. But if the trucks and busses you're hearing are old enough, it may be that they have Detroit Diesel 2-stroke engines in them (lovingly referred to as "screaming Jimmies," for good reason.) 2-stroke diesels sound like they're revving twice as fast as they actually are.

This is a 2-stroke V6 diesel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEThhwNd3JM&feature=fvw

Sounds like its screaming, probably about 1500-1800 RPM max in that clip.

Also called Green leakers, Screamin Deamon, and the V12 was the buzzin dozen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xI1UrClRok
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bcfRuMr_PY&feature=related

Trash trucks operate the hydraulic. pumps anywhere from 900-2400 rpm. the bigger the pump the less it needs to turn to accommodate a 45 GPM thirst @ 2500psi. Hyd. driven cooling fans are loud. I base this general spec. on a rear loading packer. You can spend $4000 for a massive pump and turn 950 rpm or you can spend $1000 and turn 1700 rpm.

Hi,
DieselTech - You said this:
"Most all large truck engines are factory with bypass filtration for oil and coolant."

Early Series 60 Detroits had an integral canister by-pass filter and two FF filters. This was reduced to only the two FF filters at around DDEC2 as I recall. No truck engines here have a standard by-pass filter

I always fitted MAN-Hummel by-pass centrifuge cleaners to my engines

A coolant filter (canister) is standard on some installations

2 cycle 71/92 Series Detroits (love the noise) had the following recommended OCIs. Note: typical oil use with these engines is around 1 ltr - 1k kms (around a quart per 600miles)

Highway Truck & Coach
15k miles

City Coaches
6k miles or three months

PUD
12k miles

Modern Euro buses (MAN, Benz etc) here have encapsulated moters running on Natural gas or Hydrogen (some)

I really would like to know what oil and the OCI's of the cities buses...I know Miami-Dade and Broward County retire their buses at 500K miles...The buses seem to run well with no smoking till 500K miles...I'll try to stop by the bus garage one of these days and ask them.

Our trucks at work get their oil changed every 30,000 kms. We use Castrol Hypurion 15w40 synthetic blend diesel oil. 7 trucks in total, 4 with Cat C-15 550HP engines and 3 with the Cummins ISX 565HP engines. Our trucks are pulling 136,000lbs gross weight every load, 4 loads a day usually running 865kms a day. Right now its slow, so we usually only run 3 loads a day. No oil related problems have ever surfaced, that I know of.

Hi,
xxch-4osxx - Castrol have always had a great range of HD lubricants. At times IMO these have been better products then many of their PCMOs

I was involved in the early development of the lubricant you are using in the early-mid 1990s. It is a good product and I managed to get around 40kkms OCIs using UOAs with the engines of that era. Its forerunner was eventually called Enduro LD

Castrol's RX Super is a "legend" amongst some heavy highspeed diesel users here in OZ

The Detriot diesels would crank alot higher than 1800, I drove them for alot of years, you would down shift at about 1800. 318 and 92s would run up to about 2300 rpms and I saw some go as high as 2500. I drove a Silver 92 445 and loved that motor. They didnt use oil, they slobbered it out the breathers. the harder you ran them, the less oil they used. the 318 v8s were the worse, about 2 qts a day, the Silver 92s hardly used any, about 2 qts a week if that. Those were the days. great motors for a young guy just to pound all day. they liked to be driven hard, you had to run them hard or they made no power.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
xxch-4osxx - Castrol have always had a great range of HD lubricants. At times IMO these have been better products then many of their PCMOs

I was involved in the early development of the lubricant you are using in the early-mid 1990s. It is a good product and I managed to get around 40kkms OCIs using UOAs with the engines of that era. Its forerunner was eventually called Enduro LD

Castrol's RX Super is a "legend" amongst some heavy highspeed diesel users here in OZ
Well thats good to know, I can tell my boss that! A little while ago he was considering switching over to Delo, but I guess he decided against it. Castrol delivers the oil right to the shop in a tanker and pumps it into the bulk tank we have in the shop.

I work on a fleet on 30 Gravel trains in Michigan. Most Have C15 and Acert C15 cats. We gross about 154,000 everyday almost every load. We use Chevron delo 400 mulitgrade 15w40 with Feetguard spin on bypass filters, and also have a harvard(http://www.harvardcorp.com/aboutus.php) filtration system on the trucks. We have found through Oil sampling that we can go 40,000 miles on a oil and filter change. We change the fuel, air, and coolant filters every 20,000 miles. Thats double what we were getting with Rotella or Castrol! We have them set to r hit no higher then 2400 RPM and when those HP sucking fans come on they just Scream.

Last edited:
I am still interested in OCI on commercial vehicles, mail route carriers, UPS, or any vehicle that racks up alot of miles.
I no of a trucking company that changes their oil at 25,000 not dead on but usually 25 to 30,000, but a owner operator swears by 15,000 and will not dare go farther.

we run a fleet of GMC trucks in a small biz.

Our vehicles routinely run 300 miles a day PLUS are used as stationary power at 1500-1700 rpm for hours at a time.

GM's OLM has saved us from monthly oil changes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back