teflon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can some explain the deal with teflon in engines. Pros and cons?

My boss has this product called tx7. Ptfe teflon treatment I don't know, well he says it enhances the oil by making it better. So I asked him would he put it in with amsoil, he said of course!

Isnt he just wasting his money by buying this [censored]? Very old school mechanic

yes - a waste. du pont will even tell you that its not designed for use as an oil additive. one engine mfr did testing on it and found it to be more harmfull than good.

Teflon nano-particles in grease is ok and acts as a thickener, but otherwise, its doens't do anything for engines.

teflon dont belong in your crankcase...Use a quality oil and leave the chemistry to the oil companies... They usually know more about motor oils than we do.

I'd not use a teflon product, but have used it in the past with some results.

Parents' R16 was down on performance, starting to get a little smokey. We were going on an 800km trip, and I put a product called PMT (Permanent Motor Treatment) in a warm engine, just as we were heading on the trip. Compression was up (measured), and oil consumption down. It contained teflon, but I don't know what else.

First real job had a very very smokey Falcon ute with a 250c.i. sideflow. We kept track of lubricants in it etc. for tax purposes. Poured Nulon E10 into it, a teflon treatment for worn engines. (measured) Oil consumption halved, but the product needs to be used every OCI, and seems to be good at plugging up stuff like valve guides.

There's a teflon gearbox additive that I've used a few times to quieten them down.

I don't think teflon in engine oils does anything unless there's problems to begin with.

Know lots of slick 50 users who paid a fortune for absolutely no results.

These days, wouldn't be inclined to touch them.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
You won't find that stuff in my kitchen.

It's OK on coal chutes and hydros.
I agree here, that no-stick coating will release toxic chemicals when at a certain tempurature. No non-stick utensils for me.

Yeah, but I'm fat and it does allow much healthier cooking.

IMO, it depends if you want heart disease or cancer. Same thing with diet soda.

But to the OP, teflon grease is ok. Tri-flo is ok. Teflon has no place in a crankcase. If it did, CAFE would have mandated it long ago (or so the 5-20 conspiracists here would have you believe)!

Originally Posted By: finalyzd
Can some explain the deal with teflon in engines. Pros and cons?

Dupont doesn't believe it belongs in engines. I seem to remember that at least one study indicated that it appeared to "clog" the microscopic surface features in cylinder walls where oil is normally retained, actually INCREASING long-term wear.

"Although PTFE, a solid, was used in some aftermarket oil additives, users alleged that the PTFE clumped together, clogging filters. Certain people in the 1990s have reported that this was corroborated by NASA and U.S. universities. One thing to note, in defense of PTFE, is that if the particles are smaller than what was apparently used in the 1980s and 1990s, then PTFE can be an effective lubricant in suspension. The size of the particle and many other interrelated components of a lubricant make it difficult to make blanket statements about whether PTFE is useful or harmful. Although PTFE has been called "the slickest substance known to man,"it would hardly do any good if it remains in the oil filter."

Found here - > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_additive

Quote:
Pros and cons?

Cons: The stuff is rock solid below 500F and has a working temp of about 550F
Pros:
54.gif

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Teflon nano-particles in grease is ok and acts as a thickener, but otherwise, its doens't do anything for engines.

This is the opinion to believe

I wouldn't call Teflon rock-hard at any temperature that would be experienced in an engine. It is ductile at temperatures down to at least -100C. It deforms long before it fractures, and it can be easily cut with a sharp edge. Teflon does not reach a glassy state until it is cooled to -198C. It can be forced to crystallize at high pressure, but even the crystalline state remains ductile. I can't post the copy written manuscript, but a reference is below.

Polymer
Volume 45, Issue 22, 13 October 2004, Pages 7615-7625.

Well, I will not get into an argument about PTFE. I did use Tufoil for a few years a long time ago. But I will say this-I doubt very seriously that even if PTFE does anything in an engine, that it is much better than the moly (or other stuff to replace moly) that the oil companies put into oil today. The moly that is put into oil by some oil companies is in chemical combination and has been tested in fleets of cars and trucks.

And when you buy the oil the moly is already there, or something else that will do the same job as the moly. You don't have to buy an expensive oil supplement that contains PTFE. And if the moly is about the same effectiveness as the PTFE (assuming the PTFE has any benefit at all) what would be the point of the product containing the PTFE? You might as well just use a motor oil that contains moly in chemical combination.

I think the moly (or whatever else an oil company might use instead) already has the anti-friction angle covered.

So what is left might be a cleaning supplement such as MMO or an engine flush or something like that. Different discussions for that kind of stuff.

And with all of these oil companies saying how well various motor oils keep an engine clean, maybe you don't need the cleaning products either-unless you have a sludge monster engine or an abused engine. With this Pennzoil Untra coming out I might give it a try. I know the Pennzoil products meets specs. The expensive PTFE additive made by whoever-does it meet specs?

Synlube and Tufoil both contain PTFE. Tufoil won the right to be called The Worlds Most Efficient Lubricant in the Guinness Book of World Records. That claim goes back to 1996. Has anyone taken that title away from them?

If PTFE wasn't working out for Synlube they would have removed it long ago.

I've never used Synlube but I have tried Tufoil. I could never tell when I had it in the oil and when I didn't. Others on this board had had better results with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back