Best oil for 2001 Honda Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many people know that Honda's are really easy on oil, many use synthetic in place of conventional because of the long OCI. I have ran Honda's out to the recommended oil change using conventional (mine is 7500 miles using conventional) and never had a problem. I would go a step further saying if your dumping conventional any sooner than 6500 miles your are wasting money, on synthetics 10k should be easy. You might search the oil analysis forum to see if there is any data on different OCI's

Edit please check your owners manual for the correct mileage between oil change, I assume when talking Honda that everyone has the same one I do... or at least wants to be just like me.

Last edited:
We have a good 10k UOA here from Havoline DS in this engine. I'd try Motorcraft or any dino 10w-30.

With only the info you've provided in the first post, if it were my vehicle I'd be going 5k on conventional 10k on synthetic. I'd also consider doing a UOA just to see how much longer I could push it, because I suspect it can safely go longer then that.

Since I'm assuming you put about 3k miles a month on it, with a lot of those being highway miles, I personally would use synthetic for the convenience of not having to change the oil as often.

If you're brand loyal on your oil, wait till its on sale then buy a couple OCIs worth. If you're not loyal to any particular oil, then get what's on sale and put it in, then while running that keep your eyes open for a good sale and pick some up for the next oil change.

Honda engines keep going and going, and their 4 cylinders are easy on oil, so I don't think you have anything to worry about

I have a 2000 CIVIC EX and I run PYB 5w-30 in it.

OCI 4,000

Andy

Last edited:
I believe that 5W-20 weight oil is called out for your Honda.

I would use any good synthetic and change at 7500 miles, but you could push that to 10,000 without concern. I prefer NAPA GOLD oil filters.

Originally Posted By: Andyge
Corvette Owner,

The 2000 CIVIC owners manual calls for 5W- 30.

Andy

I'm pretty sure it has been back-specified to use 5W-20 and that is what Honda now recommends for that vehicle. I could be wrong though, I can't find an official list for Honda vehicles that were back-specified to use 5W-20 so I'm just going by memory.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Originally Posted By: Andyge
Corvette Owner,

The 2000 CIVIC owners manual calls for 5W- 30.

Andy

I'm pretty sure it has been back-specified to use 5W-20 and that is what Honda now recommends for that vehicle. I could be wrong though, I can't find an official list for Honda vehicles that were back-specified to use 5W-20 so I'm just going by memory.

I believe you're correct, and the Honda brand 0W-20 which is a superior oil, has been back spec'd to 2001.

If the Honda brand is too dear, my second choice would be any 5W-20 dino.

I have been running 5w-30 in it now going on ten years now.

My 2000 CIVIC EX has 180,000 miles on it.

Andy

Last edited:
My son has a 2001 Honda Civic EX (4cyl. 1.7Liter VTEC Naturally Aspirated Engine) and the owner's manual specifies 5W-20.

That is also what is called out by Mobil in their link furnished by Andyge above.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
My son has a 2001 Honda Civic EX (4cyl. 1.7Liter VTEC Naturally Aspirated Engine) and the owner's manual specifies 5W-20.

That is also what is called out by Mobil in their link furnished by Andyge above.

To clarify, 2001 must have been the year that Honda switched to recommending 5W-20. When I put in a 2000 Honda Civic LX into the Mobil link, they said 5W-30.

As I said before, a 2001 Honda Civic EX yielded 5W-20 in Mobil's link.

Last edited:
If you guys are not 100% sure what weight oil to use you can always go to Mobil oil or Pennzoil web site they both have oil selectors for cars and trucks.

Andy

0w-20, 5w-20, 5w-30 either syn or dino works fine with the Civic. But, if it consumes a little oil, Valvoline 5w-30 blend is the ticket.

Civics aren't finicky at all.

With that commute, and a nice clean Honda engine, dino for 5-7.5k. Whatever is the cheapest on sale.

In an effort to try and just run 1 kind of oil in all my cars, I am thinking of giving GC a try, is that ok? I have this 2001 honda civic, and 02 audi a4 1.8t. I know the audi calls for 0w-40, so reading about how thick GC is, should be ok for the audi, what about the civic?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back