2006 Toyota Camry LE, Mobil 1 5W-30, 4650mi on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
E04040.png

Previous oil was Mobil Drive Clean (conventional, from the mechanic) 5W-30, which was changed early to Mobil 1 due to a long road trip that would keep me from changing the oil for a while. Better safe than sorry.

Oil filter is a Toyota 90915-YZZF1 OEM filter (made by Denso in Thailand).

Air filter forth both this report and the previous report is the same Purolator A35432. I'll likely change it out with the Toyota OEM filter the next time it needs replacing.

When drained, the oil was dark and almost, but not quite, opaque. Some light was barely visible through the stream, and one could see to a shallow depth (~1cm) into the oil in the pan before. The oil was visually quite a bit less "thick" than some of the conventional oil I've drained from friends cars with who-knows-how-many miles on it, though this might be an artifact of my changing it hot rather than merely warm.

Presently in the car is Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 5W-30 with a new YZZF1 oil filter and the same Purolator air filter. I bought a Purolator PL14477 oil filter that I'm considering using on the next oil change (mostly to see what effect it might have), but the YZZF1s certainly seem to be doing a good job. Maybe save it until the car's out of warranty and I try out Mobil 1 Extended Performance and see how well it does with a 15,000mi OCI. At this point, I'm running OCIs for my own curiosity, as well as establishing a baseline with this vehicle that should help me see how well extended OCIs are doing in the future.

I can find nothing wrong with this oil report; things seem to look pretty darned good. Certainly better than the Mobil Drive Clean which, while still good, had sheared a bit low (Blackstone mentioned this in the previous report). In about six months, I'll get to see how well PYB runs in this car. :)

Any thoughts?

Conventional oil would have done just as good in that interval. JMHO.

I think the PYB was a good choice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 5sfe91
looks great your camry will be around a very long time!!

have you changed the pcv recently?

I hope so. :)

And no, I haven't changed the PCV valve. My understanding is that it isn't necessary for quite some time, so I haven't given it any thought.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
Conventional oil would have done just as good in that interval. JMHO.

I think the PYB was a good choice.

I agree on both counts. I just wanted to get a baseline for ~5,000 miles with M1 so that I can compare it to longer OCIs in the future. That, and I just wanted to get some numbers for science. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back