2006 Accord 2.4, CEL P2183, coolant temp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning everyone,
Subject is a 2006 Accord EX-L, 2.4l engine & 5 speed manual. It has 30k miles and was bought used last August with 22k at the time.
The car has a CEL, code P2183 - engine coolant temp sensor 2CKT range/perf, and pending code P0128 - coolant temp below thermostat regulating temp. Not sure if it matters, but the freeze data on the scanner shows the coolant temp being the same as the intake air temp.
The car warms up normally, the heat works fine, etc. No obvious cooling system problems. ie, it is not behaving the way my Saab does when the thermostat [censored] out and it really is running cold.
Some online research points to a coolant temperature sensor being bad. I believe I located this item on the lower passenger side of the radiator.
Any thoughts? Thanks,

jeff

Just had this happen on a 2007 Saturn L300. Car ran fine, no noticable changes but the CEL indicated the coolant was running below a computer set minimum. Sure enough, the thermostat was not closing enough to keep the engine at operating temp on a cold day. New one solved the problem. Without the CEL, I would not have known the thermostat was failing.

2006 with 30k miles it should still have the Honda factory warranty.

If so, let them play with it.

Bill

Unfortunately it's beyond the warranty period. It's 3 year/36 bumper to bumper, and the cooling system isn't included in the powertrain warranty.

Have you looked at it? What if the sensor came out of the hole in the radiator and is just hanging out in the air?

Either way, replacing it sounds like a good place to start.

"The car warms up normally, the heat works fine" doesn't sound like a bad thermostat.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Have you looked at it? What if the sensor came out of the hole in the radiator and is just hanging out in the air?

Either way, replacing it sounds like a good place to start.

"The car warms up normally, the heat works fine" doesn't sound like a bad thermostat.

I still wouldn't rule out the thermostat, sensor failure is very unlikely (although not unheard of) on such a new car with very few miles. In mild weather and in most city driving the dummy temp gauge will still show proper operating temperature, OP did not give enough info to rule out the thermostat.

I would take the car out on the highway run when it's cold, if the thermostat is stuck open, the temperature will drop on a steady highway run, also run the heat on high and at max. fan speed and watch the gauge, if it starts dropping, thermostat is probably done.

I looked at it yesterday (if in fact I'm looking at the correct thing), the sensor is quite firmly attached. I checked the connector and it seemed ok as well. Also the coolant level is fine.

It has been very cold here (DC area with our blizzard and whatnot) and the car has seemed fine. I understand that "seems" and "is" are not necessarily the same :) Wife reported no heater problems on a recent 3 hour highway trip. But that's a good suggestion to do a controlled highway run and see if it'll droop.

jeff

Originally Posted By: greenjp
Unfortunately it's beyond the warranty period. It's 3 year/36 bumper to bumper, and the cooling system isn't included in the powertrain warranty.

Go talk to Honda. With 30k they will cover it.

Originally Posted By: greenjp
Good morning everyone,
Subject is a 2006 Accord EX-L, 2.4l engine & 5 speed manual. It has 30k miles and was bought used last August with 22k at the time.
The car has a CEL, code P2183 - engine coolant temp sensor 2CKT range/perf, and pending code P0128 - coolant temp below thermostat regulating temp. Not sure if it matters, but the freeze data on the scanner shows the coolant temp being the same as the intake air temp.
The car warms up normally, the heat works fine, etc. No obvious cooling system problems. ie, it is not behaving the way my Saab does when the thermostat [censored] out and it really is running cold.
Some online research points to a coolant temperature sensor being bad. I believe I located this item on the lower passenger side of the radiator.
Any thoughts? Thanks,

jeff

Put a t-stat in it. I have replaced a number of them that the car would seem fine as far as heat and temp are concerned. Stay away from aftermarket units. These stats are the whole housing units and the aftermarket ones look exactly like the factory ones EXCEPT the neck of the housing is just a fraction smaller than the OE unit. Trust me, the hose WILL blow off of those junky housing at the worst time. Besides, the OE Honda t-stats are no more expensive than the Chinese junk AA,AZ,CQ,and Napa are peddling.

Originally Posted By: Mokanic

Put a t-stat in it....

Thanks for the input. On the Hondaparts website, there's a "THERMOSTAT ASSY. (NIPPON THERMOSTAT)", part #008, for $51.65 on the block drawing. Would this be the correct part? It appears to be the thermostat in some sort of housing along with an o-ring (o-ring available separately as part #009 for $4).

Any DIY tricks? I've done this job on my Saab 9-5 twice - fairly straightforward aside from how crowded it is.

jeff

The Accord t-stat is a simple job. Maybe 30 minutes if you stop for a cup of joe. Yes,it is the black housing and all with an o-ring. You can order it of just go by a Honda dealer. The price will be the same. Just have the code cleared after the repair.

A bad sensor that is off that much should have running problems, or throw a code.
You can easily check the actual resistance at it's connector, at different temps.

This was my take as well, but the description in the owner's manual specifically does not include the cooling system. I have a feeling Bill in Utah may be right and they'd be willing to work on it. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back