Supertech 15W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tried Supertech 15W40 Dino oil? I bought a gallon of it this evening at Wal-Mart for $8.50 for my KLR 650.

I usually use Rotella 15W40, but since I change it every 1,000-1,500 miles, I thought I could try some cheaper oil.

Any and all feedback appreciated.

Keep with the Mobil Delvac or Rotella. The Super Tech stuff doesn't have as good of an additive package.

I wouldn't use Delo. I was told by Chevron that the additive pack of Delo could cause slippage in a wet clutch system. Rotella on the other hand has now passed the JASO specs.

I've used the ST 15W-40. Worked fine. Can't believe you change the oil every 1.5k miles on a 650cc.

Vic

Most of the riding I do on it is in the dirt, in very dusty conditions here in Socal. That is the reason for the short OCI. I only change the filter every 3 changes.

ST 15w40 used to be good stuff when it was CI4 sunruh tested this oil in his mix master bike it help up(sheared) well where more expensive oil failed,but i haven't heard how the new CJ is doing.

I have a Kawasaki KLR650 and as far as I know they havent changed them at all since they made them a 650 from a 600. That Super Tech will work fine, Ive had mine since new in 2001 and Ive tried 15w40 Delvac, 15w40 Pennzoil Long life, 15w40 ST, 15w50 Mobil 1, Havoline 20w50, Yamalube 20w40 and Citgo 10w40 and Ill tell you what, none made a bit of difference. Iam thinking I could dump about anything in there and it would shift and run fine. They are just not a finnicky bike. Buy the cheapest and change it often and that bike will run forever.

the CI-4 version actually held up better than SRT did. i've not tested the CJ-4 version. when SRT went from ci-4 to cj-4 it went down in its shear stability. odd, but true. try and dig back in the shelf for a jug of old ci-4.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sunruh
the CI-4 version actually held up better than SRT did. i've not tested the CJ-4 version. when SRT went from ci-4 to cj-4 it went down in its shear stability. odd, but true. try and dig back in the shelf for a jug of old ci-4.

Any plans of testing the new CJ?

I first tried dyno rotella 15w40 in my GSXR1, it did not like it, tranny shifted way sluggish. The T6 5w-40 is sweet sauce in her...

Using ST 15W40 CJ-4 in a 08 CRF230L, 08 DL650 (Vstrom), and 07 KLR650 without problems. Will have a UOA on the Vstrom next oil change. The shifting is good on the KLR & CRF. The Vstrom shifting is not as smooth, but it was the same with Rotella 15W40. Using ST 15W40 in my 87 Toyota pickup, too.

Be careful with the Delo. My friend gets gallons for free, but...the new Delo CJ is not JASO MA which means possible problems for wet clutches. Old CI Delo is ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back