Zellers' Auto Prix or Superstore's No Name Brand

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've threads where people have picked these up on sale. Any reviews or analysis on them yet? Just wondering as I am looking to try a cheap dino in the Mystique and have shorter intervals. Going on 6 months on M1 right now.

I am thinking the Superstore No-Name brand is Esso Formula as the bottles are identical.

Oddly enough Auto Prix is still labeled SM when they aren't licensed to do so per API.

I bought some no name a while back for $1 per L.. $4 Canadian for an oil change is pretty awesome.

I noticed the bottles were identical to Shell bottles. It's probably not the same everywhere... I had Formula Shell and NoName on the shelf side by side, and aside from the label, 100% the same bottle.

I havent used it yet but I will at some point this summer.

A buck a liter!? That's a good deal. Chances are it's made by Shell or Esso and therefore good conventional oil.

I used to use Zellers 10W30 Auto Prix a lot about eight years ago. My 51 Plymouth car was my daily summer driver and it used a lot of oil. At that time it was $3.99 for 4 litres so I liked it. I also used it in my family's pickup truck since it was old and used some oil.

Interestingly, I had a 4L plastic jug of the 10W30 Auto Prix oil in the back of the truck during the summer in the sun. I noticed the jug had the sides bowed out a little. When I opened the cap it hissed, just like opening a gas can on a hot day. Based on that I am guessing it has scary lubricating qualities.

Since then, I rebuilt the 51 Plymouth engine, and a Mitsubishi engine and I used the Auto Prix for the 500km initial break in oil in both engines. Both engines broke in wonderfully and are excellent to this day. I have used conventional Castrol in each engine since the break in.

Since we are talking about Canadian oil, has anyone noticed that the Canadian Walmart Tech2000/Supertech brand conventional oil is unusually thin? If you shake a bottle of Walmart 10W30 it seems thinner than a name brand 5W30. I also bought a few litres of the Walmart 10W30 and checked it out at home, it is thin. I kept buying the Zellers Auto Prix before, because it seemed like more substantial oil than the Walmart oil.

I stocked up on a pile of Canadian Tire Motomaster Supreme 10W30 oil when it was on sale for $1.19 a litre about five years ago. I bought about 10 cases of 12. I still have a few cases left. I used to use it in a car that was good but used oil at the time. I also use it in lawnmowers and for a hydraulic oil in my dad's old tractor (the manual specifies engine oil). It seems like pretty good cheap oil, but it hasn't been on sale lately.

How come Canadian Tire has Supreme, Nugold, Autolab, and others. The bottles are all the same shape. Is the oil really different?

Originally Posted By: webfors
A buck a liter!? That's a good deal. Chances are it's made by Shell or Esso and therefore good conventional oil.

A buck a litre! No joke! (it was a Real Canadian Superstore grocery store) I'm sure its a Shell product. Identical packaging.

I'm going to keep my eyes open for that stuff when I do groceries from now on
grin2.gif

RE: CT's oil lineup.. I don't know. It never made much sense to me, but I suspect the oils themselves are indeed different.

Scratch that No Name bottle being similar to Esso, must've been hallucinating or something. Anyhow, will try on the Mystique. Either that or the PP I picked up on sale at Wal-Mart this weekend.

I don't think the No-Name brand is ok. When I worked at a supermarket we had a store brand oil too and on the back it said "Not for use with modern cars" or something to that effect it was some really old spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back