2006 Saturn Vue FWD 3.5L V6 (Honda motor) SOHC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 Saturn Vue FWD 3.5L V6 (Honda motor 5w-20) SOHC, with almost a 100k miles. I wanna run a synthetic. I was thinking either mobil 1 or royal purple. What does everyone think?? I know my engine probably prefers a certain brand of oil......

No, the J series doesn't really prefer anything. I'd use a 5-20 in MI, but a 5-30 would also be fine. or a 0-xx as well.

Was the timing belt replaced at any point? It should be due ~110,000 miles.

My Dad's 05 Honda powered Vue has run pretty well everything made in 5w-20 following the OLM.

A few UOAs and they all are excellent. His MPG has been consistent for the 90k he has owned the rig (bought it new).

All of the 5w-20s are excellent. Personally a syn is NOT needed in this engine. The 5w-20 API SM oils keep the engine clean as a new following the OLM.

The Vue with the Honda V6 is a excellent combo.

Bill

PS:
welcome2.gif

It does. Honda/Acura has only had two v6 engines. A 90 degree c series V6, which ended production on the NSX and RL ~05, and the 60 degree J series which has been in everything else since the late 90's.

Good engines, but the timing belt is a pain and the VCM system (which isn't on the VUE) is a lot of complexity for little gain and lots of complaints about low end torque.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
It does. Honda/Acura has only had two v6 engines. A 90 degree c series V6, which ended production on the NSX and RL ~05, and the 60 degree J series which has been in everything else since the late 90's.

Good engines, but the timing belt is a pain and the VCM system (which isn't on the VUE) is a lot of complexity for little gain and lots of complaints about low end torque.

I thought in '03 going to J30A3 Honda switched from timing belt to a chain due to customer complaints about service costs?

I have run M1 & PP in my '00 Accord for years and they both run well for my 6-7k OCI. No noticeable difference on either one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: typ901

I thought in '03 going to J30A3 Honda switched from timing belt to a chain due to customer complaints about service costs?

As far as I know, I have a timing belt in the 06 Odyssey.

Any conclusion on the timing belt/chain on newer model J engines? My wife and I are considering purchasing another vehicle with the 3.5 and I'm trying to find out more information.

It's a belt on the Vue. Buy the parts for the 100K maintenance from an online place, such as Rock auto, then have a local guy install them for you. You'll save $$$ compared to any Saturn/GM dealer doing it.

As far as oil, "what Bill said." :)

I have noticed that M1 oils are a bit noisier compared to dino and Pennzoil Platinum (PP). The 20wt oils are great for this application, even the wife noticed how much more "sluggish" her Vue was when I switched from GC (the GREEN) from a 20wt product. Went back to 20wt and all well in Vue-land.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back