Infinit G35 - Mobil 1 5-30 Change Interval, Tests?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, Used G35 with 17K miles....did first oil change to Mobil One 5w-30 weight as specified...

Dealer is saying I should change syntethic at 4000 miles, but the dino hardly looked used at 4000 miles.

What is the story here?

This car comes with frequent change recommendations ???

Any way to really tell if I change it myself 6000 miles from now?

Thanks,

Bart

We used to have a 2004 G35 and the owner's manual had 3 levels of maintenance. 7500 mile oil change intervals were allowed. Check your manual. I used to use synthetics and change it at 7500 miles. It stayed clean inside with that regimen.

Nissan is recommending the Genuine Nissan Ester oil for the newer VQ35DE and VQ37 engines, so you may want to consider using that oil or something more comparable to it.

As JAG mentioned, 7500 mile/6-month intervals are allowed by the manual.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Nissan is recommending the Genuine Nissan Ester oil for the newer VQ35DE and VQ37 engines, so you may want to consider using that oil or something more comparable to it.

Why would Nissan recomend that kind of oil? Are they trying to force customers to buy oil from them?

Originally Posted By: tig1
Why would Nissan recomend that kind of oil? Are they trying to force customers to buy oil from them?

In short, these engines need a higher quality oil. Apparently the ester additive addresses some start-up noise problems. Here's more info on the subject:

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/...h-diamonds.aspx

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1768532&page=1

Point is, these engines need a higher quality oil. Using the Genuine Nissan product may or may not be important, but it is important to use a comparable product. Pennzoil says they'll fully back their synthetic product for the application. And my mom's Altima will likely get Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra for its first oil change at 7500 miles.

Unless she is operating that new Altima at mostly highway type driving, with little stop/go city driving, I would not go 7500 miles per oil change on that motor.

Check out my UOA with GC.

http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1767355&page=1

I'm in NJ and most of my driving is 9.5 miles each way, practically all local traffic (about 8 traffic lights) except with only 1 mile on the highway, so basically it's severe service. The GC appears to have held up quite well and I suspect it could have gone up to 6K miles.

If I drove more highway, I think 7500 miles would not be a problem..

Originally Posted By: The Critic

No need too on the VQ he has. Only the newer ones need it. I used M1, Amsoil, and PP on my 04 and 05 G35 with no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back