tremec 3650 mustang 5 speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 2001 mustang gt bullitt that has the tremec 3650. used in other years of mustangs as well. trying to figure out the best oil to run to help prevent the 1-2 shift grind that occurs when cold. the dealer says mercon v syn. the manual says mobil 1 at syn. just wondering if anyone out there with the same trans in there mustang has had any luck with any certain oil.

I don't have the relevant experience, but for what it's worth I had a similar problem in my transmission with various fluids, and Motul Multi-ATF fixed it. It's a very recent formulation, and it meets Mercon V. Just thought I'd suggest.

49.gif

Royal Purple Synchromax. I'm running M1 ATF in mine right now and have since I got the car. However, I drove a friends stang that had the same 1-2 problem and the Synchromax made it smoother than mine. I'm going to try some Synchromax out in mine very soon. Also, drop the fill level from 4qts to 3.2 qts. Don't just fill it up until fluid comes out the fill hole

Check out
www.stangnet.com
www.corral.net.
www.imboc.com - You can find just about any info you want to know about your Bullitt on this site.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AdRock
Also, drop the fill level from 4qts to 3.2 qts.

I've read all over the net about people doing this (technical bulletins too) to get rid of tranny grind. If I remember correctly,there was a GM bulletin about lowering the fluid level in one of their cars to cure the 1>2 gear grind. Wonder why lowering the fluid level would make a difference in shiftability?

Last edited:
bullit - If your tranny has paper or carbon fiber synchros, it is generally best to stay with an ATF. ATF is not the best manual tranny fluid by far for other reasons, but those synchros are picky.

I would hit all the mustang and ford forums. They have specific empirical and vicarious advice about this.
Throw out the few raving reviews good/bad at either and of the spectrum, and you will have a good idea about your options.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: AdRock
Also, drop the fill level from 4qts to 3.2 qts.

I've read all over the net about people doing this (technical bulletins too) to get rid of tranny grind. If I remember correctly,there was a GM bulletin about lowering the fluid level in one of their cars to cure the 1>2 gear grind. Wonder why lowering the fluid level would make a difference in shiftability?

The shift forks & gears have less fluid to move against with the lower level, as well as letting the snchros get up to speed quicker. It makes the tranny slightly noisier but does help the shift quality.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back