filter size

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1991 volvo 940 turbo take's a rather small oil filter, Not to small but not big. And while looking at the oil filter's, I saw a filter almost twice as big so i bought it and it fit's. Is a bigger oil filter better? Because if it is i will just buy the big one from now on.

Last edited:
If the flow-GPM & micron spec is a match. The micron spec being of most importance. You want a anti flow back valve. If its bigger it will most likely exceed flow spec. Bigger is better more capacity, I may aid cooling a touch and extent OCI a tad bit.

purolator doesnt list gpm ratings or gasket sizes (I wish they did)

but from the looks of it I'd say your good to go

If you go to the wixfilters website, enter your vehicle information, you will see the fiter that fits....and in the filter information you will see the gasket size....inner and outer diameter and thickness.

Then, take the competitor filter number that you have, and do a cross ref. search to see which WIX filter matches up......and look at the gasket information.....and compare.

Just because it screws on doesn't mean it is a good filter to use. As stated, there is specs for pore size, flow rate, relief valve pressure and media type.

I thought all purolater P1's had the same filter media, Just as long as it's a pureone. So the bigger one should be better just making sure im clear, But correct me if im wrong.

I checked on wix filter site,they said both filter's flow
7-9GPM, And nominal mircon size is 21 for both. So 7-9GPM the bigger one should flow closer to 9GPM than the small unless im missing something?

Originally Posted By: slammin240tic
I thought all purolater P1's had the same filter media, Just as long as it's a pureone. So the bigger one should be better just making sure im clear, But correct me if im wrong.

Yes, all PureONEs have the same filter media. Use a larger filter IF you have the physical room on the car for it to mount with no clearance issues.

Originally Posted By: slammin240tic
I checked on wix filter site,they said both filter's flow
7-9GPM, And nominal mircon size is 21 for both. So 7-9GPM the bigger one should flow closer to 9GPM than the small unless im missing something?

I highly doubt your car's engine will even produce 9 GPM. My suggestion is to use the larger sized filter for your application if possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back