coolant flush and change for Honda Civic 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have about 71,000 miles on my car and I am going to flush and change the coolant this weekend. I am using the Honda factory coolan (the blue premixed stuff). I have changed the coolant on a Honda Civic 03 before and I am wondering if the process is the same? Basically, do I:

1.) run the car till its warm with the heater on
2.) let it cool down and drain from radiator and block
3.) fill up with distilled water
4.) run till its warm with heater on
5.) drain again
6.) fill up with honda coolant
7.) burb the system (run without radiator cap till it stops bubbling)with heater on
8.) drink beer

For the engine block, do I need to put any thread sealer on it? Any information would be helpful.

Much appreciated!

I don't necessarily see the need for the first heat up and cool down cycle.

An 08 with that many miles likely saw pretty benign service. I'd likely just do a drain and refill from the radiator as preventive maintenance, saving the rest of the effort. Save that for 30k from now when you need to do a timing belt, and will be replacing the water pump and thermostat.

I agree about the D&R. You are only changing 50 or 60% of the coolant but you are ensuring that the coolant has plenty of active additives. It also ensures that the 50/50 mix stays intact. I've been doing this with my Accord (using PEAK Global 50/50) and the OE water pump looked great when I had the timing belt done recently.

I'd just dump the radiator and refill with 50/50 Honda Blue. If it's clean, then I wouldn't bother flushing or going any further. JMO!

FWIW, from the factory service manual (for the 2007 Civic but should be the same):

1) Start engine, set the heater control to max heat, then turn off engine.
2) Remove radiator cap.
3) Loosen radiator drain plug.
4) Remove block drain plug.
5) Apply liquid gasket to block drain plug threads and tighten (61 ft*lbs).
6) Drain reservoir.
7) Fill reservoir.
8) Fill radiator (< 2 gal).
9) Loosely install radiator cap and run the engine until the fan comes on.
10) Add more coolant if needed.
11) Put the rad cap on the rest of the way, run the engine and check for leaks.
12) Drink beer.

Originally Posted By: rationull

2) Remove radiator cap.
6) Drain reservoir.
7) Fill reservoir.
12) Drink beer.

From the Schafer School school of weekend car fun:
This is a relatively brainless procedure, and should be left to teenage offspring, if applicable. (Supervision and Beer required)

If no offspring available-

1) Loosen radiator drain plug.
-1a)Drink Beer
2 Drain reservoir.
-2a)Drink Beer
3) Fill reservoir.
-3a)Drink Beer
4) Fill radiator (< 2 gal).
-4a)Drink Beer
5) Loosely install radiator cap and run the engine until the fan comes on.
-5a)Drink Beer
6) Add more coolant if needed.
-6a)Drink Beer
7) Put the rad cap on the rest of the way, run the engine and check for leaks.
-7a)Drink Beer
8) Drink beer.
-8a)Drink More Beer

Note that this a two to three beer job. Let any applicable spouse know you will be indisposed for the day, and will be needing a hearty meal to regain your strength and energy afterward. Try not to get slapped.

ha :) this is why I love this forum...I get great knowledge and sometimes funny posts :)

makes my day :)

Yes, it is.

I was going to change the radiator fluid out of my mother's Civic today before I read this post. Now, I realize I don't have enough beer on hand, and will have to accomplish the task when she visits again a couple of months.

Originally Posted By: rationull
FWIW, from the factory service manual (for the 2007 Civic but should be the same):

2) Remove radiator cap.
6) Drain reservoir.
7) Fill reservoir.
12) Drink beer.

That's the way you want to do it. Drain the radiator and the block and get most all of the old coolant out so you won't have to change it again for awhile. You don't want to ever add water into the system, just the premix. 71K miles is a good change interval. After the first change 60K is recommended and is probably a better change interval anyway.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
I'd just dump the radiator and refill with 50/50 Honda Blue. If it's clean, then I wouldn't bother flushing or going any further. JMO!

Exactly, do this every few years and all will be well.

Engine block drain plug will need a breaker bar. That sucker is on quite tight from the factory. BTW make sure you replace the washer and torque to spec.
If you drain the block and radiator, you'll get 90+% of all the coolant out of the system. I would skip the distilled water flush stage at 70,000 miles.

Last edited:
Are you sure you can get all the coolant out of the engine block if you do it yourself? It needs changing so infrequently I'd rather get the dealer to do it for what it costs. I also don't do brake fluid or power steering fluid myself. My '98 Acura says to change coolant every 48,000 km but the Honda premixed product says it's good to 100,000 km so that's what I'm going by from now on

Draining the radiator and the block gets most out and is the usual factory recommend way of doing it and likely what many dealers will do. They might even just drain the radiator and call it good. The newer Honda coolant has a longer service 5y/60K miles, life than the first type 2y/30K miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back