NEW*** Pennzoil Ultra 5/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure how to get a PDF attatched to the thread but here is what I have from Blackstone. LOOKS AWESOME!!

SHAWN: Nothing unusual turned up in this sample of virgin 5W/20. The viscosity of the oil read right where
it should and no moisture and only a trace of insolubles were found. The TBN read 13.0 so this oil starts out
with a large amount of active additive. When that reading is down around 1.0, virtually all of the active
additive in an oil has been exhausted, rendering it unfit for extended use. Boron and calcium are
detergent/dispersants, while phosphorus and zinc are anti-wear additives. We think this oil should suit your

Alum 1
Chromium 0
Iron 1
Copper 0
Lead 0
Tin 0
MolyB 50
Nickle 0
Mag 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 0
Boron 433
silicon 3
sodium 1
Calcium 2815
Magnesium 10
Phos 691
Sinc 824
Barium 0

SUS Vis @ 210 52.9
Cst Vis @ 100C 8.14
Fuel 0
Antifreeze 0
Water 0
Insolubles Trace
TBN 13.0

Just finished my drive to Las Vegas and the engine runs just as smooth as it did with Redline in it. Milage was up also.

Have at it boys!!

It looks like the 13.0 TBN wasn't a mistake in the first VOA. It will be interesting to see the first 10K+ mile UOA on this stuff.

Very impressive! This may be the ultimate oil! LOL

Seriously, Shell said they made Ultra for those that want "the best". For the $$ they may be right.

Originally Posted By: buster

Seriously, Shell said they made Ultra for those that want "the best". For the $$ they may be right.

I agree, we might just be looking at the best OTC motor oil ever made! This certainly appears on paper that it can compete with the best of the boutique oils.

Zinc is 824. Sorry I had to type oput the sample and missed it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Patman

I agree, we might just be looking at the best OTC motor oil ever made! This certainly appears on paper that it can compete with the best of the boutique oils.

You guys have got to be joking!
With a VI of only 158 there are 20wt dino's that are better.
PP's own 0W-20 is clearly a much better 20wt oil with a 175 VI that's proven to be very shear stable. OK you could argue it's not OTC but that's should be a separate issue.

If you guys want to know what a superb 20wt VOA looks like check out Toyota's 0W-20 (Honda's is very close as well)and since you can get it at any Toyota or Lexus dealer in NA it certainly qualifies as an OTC oil.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

PP's own 0W-20 is clearly a much better 20wt oil with a 175 VI that's proven to be very shear stable. OK you could argue it's not OTC but that's should be a separate issue.

If you guys want to know what a superb 20wt VOA looks like check out Toyota's 0W-20 (Honda's is very close as well)and since you can get it at any Toyota or Lexus dealer in NA it certainly qualifies as an OTC oil.

I am not agreeing it is the best over the counter oil but before you bash it wait until some UOAs come back and not just form an opinion based on two VOAs

Why are you basing everything on VI? LOL

+1

Since CATERHAM is comparing Ultra 5W/20 to Platinum, I'll raise an issue which has been bothering me.

5W/20 Platinum has a MRV viscosity of 9700cP(-35C°), while 5W/20 Ultra has a MRV viscosity of 11700cP(-35C°).

Does anyone have any idea why Platinum 5W/20 would have a better (lower) MRV viscosity than Ultra 5W/20?

Originally Posted By: Samilcar
Since CATERHAM is comparing Ultra 5W/20 to Platinum, I'll raise an issue which has been bothering me.

5W/20 Platinum has a MRV viscosity of 9700cP(-35C°), while 5W/20 Ultra has a MRV viscosity of 11700cP(-35C°).

Does anyone have any idea why Platinum 5W/20 would have a better (lower) MRV viscosity than Ultra 5W/20?

Increase in HT/HS?

Maybe. Another odd thing is that even though The MRV viscosities differ, the CCS viscosities are the same. So cold cranking would be exactly the same, but the Ultra oil would be a little harder to pump after the engine started. I'm not sure if that's a bad thing or not.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Samilcar

How much difference would that be in real life ? I do not know.

Originally Posted By: panthermike

+1

+2

For those with OLM's and those who don't want to change their oil as often, the 13 TBN is a plus.

MRV difference is meaningless. Love to see them do an MRV/CCV test with both Platinum and Ultra after 10k miles of usage.

If its the 1st SN/GF5 oil, then I would use it over any GF4 OTC oil. Sorry, but as the spec's get more demanding, the performance of the oil only gets better.

The only question I have is when is it coming out in 0w20, 0w30, 0w40, 5w40, & 10w40? Castrol Edge's biggest flaw was lack of weights that I could use.

With API/ILSAC SN/GF5 oils coming on the market hopefully in the next year, I have a feeling that Amsoil, Redline, Royalpurple... will need to rethink their marketing.

Can't wait to see what SN/GF5 brings to Mobil1, Castrol.....and the other OTC brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back