Chevy ZO6

Status
Not open for further replies.
'ello all

First post so hope this is the best Forum. Excellent site by the way.

I am building an RCR alloy monocoque (US manufactured) GT40 replica in England. Engine is a Chevy ZO6 with Kinsler stack EFI producing 560 or so bhp through a 5 speed Quaife ZF-Q transaxle. Use will be road and track. The reviews of Amsoil products look good but what would you guys recommend?

Regards to all

John G Lowe

Last edited:
Wow. That sounds fun and VERY fast!

What oils do you have available to you? I 'think' high-po Chevrolet crate engines recommend 20W-50 be used, especially for track use.

If you're interested in Amsoil, the 'Dominator' racing series might be of interest. They have it in a 15W-50.

Thanks guys for fast response. Most (probably all) the oils you have in the States are available over here, so keeep the recommendations coming.

Car only weighs around 2250 lbs so should be on the right side of nippy.................
20.gif

If you frequent corvetteforum.com, there is a member and supporting vendor there by the name of Subdriver who you should contact. He races cars and uses Amsoil. He would have some good recommendations for you. I would give you his website but don't know if that is legal here since I don't know if he is a supporting vendor here. The supporting vendors here would be Pablo and Gary Allen. OBTW, on cf I go by ByByBMW if you want to reference that if you get hold of Subdriver.

Good luck

For Amsoil products, were you referring to motor oil or all oils?
Seems like RD30 or RD50 would be a good choice.
I'll gladly defer to Pablo or Gary though.

what about that moutul oil you guys can get over there. From my understanding it is pretty good.

Originally Posted By: wapacz
what about that moutul oil you guys can get over there. From my understanding it is pretty good.

Some of the racier Silkolene/Fuchs stuff as well.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Gavin
'ello all

First post so hope this is the best Forum. Excellent site by the way.

I am building an RCR alloy monocoque (US manufactured) GT40 replica in England. Engine is a Chevy ZO6 with Kinsler stack EFI producing 560 or so bhp through a 5 speed Quaife ZF-Q transaxle. Use will be road and track. The reviews of Amsoil products look good but what would you guys recommend?

Regards to all

John G Lowe

Why did you stop at only 560 bph?? (Is that at the wheels, or the crank?)
With I.T.B. injection, medium cam, exhaust, and a racier tune you could see well over 600 hp at the wheels on that thing!
Was it for the "road" part that you wanted to keep it milder?

Is the Quaife a sequential, or a regular, old H-pattern?

No matter what, it sounds wicked, although some diehard 'Blue Oval' fans over here in the states would give you s**t about putting a GM powerplant in a Ford-ish marque vehicle.
lol.gif

Congradulations.

On to oil: I would look at 10W-30 Redline with an HTHS of 3.8 its as high an HTHS as you can get in 30 weight oils. This oil in the Z06 engine should be good for up to 285dF oil temps. So an oil temp gauge and an oil pressure gauge are mandatory. It is likely that you will need a fairly large oil radiator well ducted to cool outside air and a thermostat for quick warmup. If the oil temps are found to be higher, the correct solution is more oil cooling not a heavier oil.

It is also likely that you will need oil cooler for the transmission (at least on track).

Again, thanks to all for advice.

DailyDriver, the UK 40 guys give me some stick also
18.gif
. My reply is simple - this is my dream you go get one of your own. There are at least 2 RCR 40s with a ZO6 in the States to my knowledge BTW. To get a blue oval (ally blocked Roush?)to give this kind of power and reliability would take BIG BUCKS in the UK.

The Quaife transaxle is dimensionaly (and visibly) almost identical to the original ZF box fitted to the 40 and retains the same "odd" H type 5 speed shift pattern. Finding a box small enough to handle big torque and around 600bhp to fit in a 40 is a real problem. The Ricardo used in the new 40 is just about doable but looks like a Bl**dy great dustbin in the back and is not good for weight distribution or polar moment of inertia. The Quaife has larger dia motion shafts than the original and is well capable of handling the power I have in mind. As to output its 560ish at the flywheel I'm looking for (stock ZO6 is 505). In a circuit car getting more power might improve your pub bragging rights but unless your a Parnelli Jones trying to squeeze a tenth or two would make little difference on most road circuits.

Everyone needs a dream (or two)
19.gif

Owning that Chevy engine in a Ford GT40 style body is like marrying a super model with a PhD in nuclear physics, whose hobbies include being a clasically trained internationally ranked chef. I fail to see the downside.

For street use, we've had good luck here with European Formula Castrol 0W-30 (also known as German Castrol) in the LSX series of engines. If you are going to go road racing, Redline seems to get the nod here in the States, although I'm sure Amsoil makes a good product for that purpose. If you do race the car, I'd toss away any advice you get for extending your OCIs, and change after each race.

If you are keeping the stock oil filter setup, K&N makes a good filtering and flowing unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back