PCV Oil trap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple of 4"PVC caps with a short length of PVC pipe would make a nice compact pancake shaped collector...for $10-$15 (Oz)

This is on my 05 5.3 GMC truck. The fresh air make up is on the passenger side right behind the throttle body and goes to the valve cover.

http://www.accmachtech.com/catchcans.asp

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/

013.jpg

Originally Posted By: andyd
I was thinking more along the lines of 10$ worth of heater hose and a peanut butter jar.
wink.gif

That works.

I like what Stan brought to the table. If need be, gang two of these in parallel. It looks compact enough. Now you may not get marks for show quality, but
21.gif

931_oil_separator2.jpg

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
That works. I like what Stan brought to the table. If need be, gang two of these in parallel. It looks compact enough. Now you may not get marks for show quality, but
21.gif

Thanks. BMW still does the same basic thing on the present cars. Here is a nice setup that some "wise" person modified. I think OE is better.

120765548.jpg

Last edited:
Yah, but if I clean out the PBjar really good,and remove the label. I should be able to see the oil collect. That nifty Purolater thingy is opaque. My cars are the Dodge Darts of BMW-dom. Besides they are DDs,not weekenders

Yah, but if I clean out the PBjar really good,and remove the label. I should be able to see the oil collect. That nifty Purolater thingy is opaque. My cars are the Dodge Darts of BMW-dom. Besides they are DDs,not weekenders

No need to see inside the "purolator thing" since the oil it traps is just sent back home, to the sump. I don't need to see the oil draining back to the sump from the head via all the drain holes either.

Something to keep in mind if doinf something with (particularly) plastic, is that 4 cylinder engines have some really nasty pressure pulsations, (of around 25% of swept volume/sump volume), twice per revolution.

If the ventilaion chamber becomes part of the sump, it could resonate, drum, or plain and simply fatigue.

If there's an orifice/PCV, then it's safest to have that between the engine and the ventilation chamber.

3 or 6 cyls is like a three phase arrangement. No real pulsations (except maybe blowby).

I'm sure his setup "works" but the passive maintenance free setup is more to my liking. I mean, I love trick, but I'm not into an ever increasing list of things to tend to as I add more trick to the scheme of things. Now if he just rigged his drain to the sump return .....

Originally Posted By: Stan
For around 15 dollars last time I checked, is the OE separator used by BMW and Porsche. Line to the intake, air filter box in some applications, and sump for oil drain.

931_oil_separator2.jpg

Nice. Whats the hook up diagram? You could even Hook the drain to some other container, if you are worried about [censored].

I was thinking more along the lines of 10$ worth of heater hose and a peanut butter jar.
wink.gif

That works.

It doesn't, actually. It'll collapse the peanut butter jar like it was made of, well, thin plastic....

My cars are the Dodge Darts of BMW-dom. Besides they are DDs,not weekenders

I love seeing the term "Dodge Dart" used as a compliment. We're approaching 40 years since the last one rolled off the line, and people are starting to forget that they were the bulletproof, indestructible, unkillable, reliability champ of the automotive world for a long, long time.

;-)

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
wink.gif

That works.

It doesn't, actually. It'll collapse the peanut butter jar like it was made of, well, thin plastic....

He's using Edwards-Freeman's Nut Company natural peanut butter which comes in a special vacuum rated glass jar.
grin2.gif

The milk jug technique is used on the fresh air vent side where true excessive blow overwhelms the engine's draw/volume capability and pushes it out to the air filter or above the throttle plate. You simply unhook the regular hose, add another length of hose, and shove both in the milk jug ..seal the end/top ..empty (throw out and replace) as needed.

Old tired 4.2 CJ Jeep trick from Mr. Peabody's Wayback machine.

Dredging up an old thread with an update- The PCV trap has been on the engine for about 3k miles so far, and it seems to have cut the oil consumption dramatically. I took the PT on a ~1200 mile road trip over 2 days last week, and the oil level didn't budge on the stick. Prior to the PCV trap, that kind of trip would have burned off close to half a quart. The PCV hose above the trap still has an oil coating so some oil mist is still getting through the trap- I probably should look for a trap with bigger internal volume (such as the Porsche part shown in the thread) or else parallel two of mine as Gary suggested.

Anyway- its a success. I recommend it for Chrysler 2.4 owners and anyone else with a PCV system prone to inhaling oil mist.

I'm thinking about repairing/replacing my cracked reservoir and moving the PCV valve from the valve cover to the outlet side of the PCV catch can. That should lower the vacuum levels that keep cracking things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back