Cut-open TecSelect T4612

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil in a friend's 2001 Kia Sportage today. She said she last got the oil changed at the local Kia dealership; however, there was not a "genuine Kia" oil filter installed. Instead it appears they're using a brand called "TecSELECT" and it's made by Purolator. This particular one is labeled T4612 and is a rebranded Purolator Classic L14612.

I think it's interesting they used this filter since Purolator references the longer L14610 (which is what I replaced it with) for this vehicle.

I don't know if it has the same amount of media as the L14612, but perhaps someone who has cut one open can verify. It has 46 pleats and each pleat depth is 1cm. This oil filter has 3,400 miles on it. You'll notice the pleats around the metal filter connection have folded down. I doubt that means anything, but I thought it was interesting. Also, on the can it says "Made in the USA" and in a different spot it has this website printed on it http://www.mightyautoparts.com

tecselect001.jpg

tecselect002.jpg

tecselect003.jpg

tecselect008.jpg

tecselect009.jpg

tecselect012.jpg

tecselect014.jpg

tecselect016.jpg

tecselect020.jpg

tecselect021.jpg

I hate replacing the oil filter on my moms Sportage! Terrible spot for an oil filter. I end up taking 1/2 the car apart to get to the thing.

The oil filter actully screws onto an oil cooler. Between this oil cooler and the filter base is a flat O-Ring. This O-Ring is not available. They expect you to buy a whole oil cooler to get the O-Ring.

I used an oil filter gasket/seal when my moms O-Ring sprung a leak.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I hate replacing the oil filter on my moms Sportage! Terrible spot for an oil filter. I end up taking 1/2 the car apart to get to the thing.

The oil filter actully screws onto an oil cooler. Between this oil cooler and the filter base is a flat O-Ring. This O-Ring is not available. They expect you to buy a whole oil cooler to get the O-Ring.

I used an oil filter gasket/seal when my moms O-Ring sprung a leak.

I'm not a big fan of Kia (having my better half previously owned one), but the 2001 Sportage has a very easily accessable oil filter. I don't think it's the same setup as the Sportage you're referring to.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
95-02 is the same. To acess my moms filter I must remove the charcoal canister.

Sounds like a wonderful time :)

Filter looks fine to me. The folded down pleats near the metal seam is nothing to worry about. Number of pleats seems about the same as the equivalent Purolator Classic.

Looks fine to me too. I don't any issue of concern with the pleats near the seam.

Clearly a Purolator with it's trademark bypass design. Whether it's exactly the same as the the Classic is unknown as, like Motorcraft and Mopar, it would be made to Kia specs, looks close though. Like other Puro's, made in Fayetteville, NC.

Thanks for the pics.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Looks fine to me too. I don't any issue of concern with the pleats near the seam.

Clearly a Purolator with it's trademark bypass design. Whether it's exactly the same as the the Classic is unknown as, like Motorcraft and Mopar, it would be made to Kia specs, looks close though. Like other Puro's, made in Fayetteville, NC.

Thanks for the pics.

TecSELECTS are probably not made to Kia specs, as it's not a Kia oil filter. This filter comes from a parts distributer called Mighty Auto Parts (http://www.mightyautoparts.com) in Georgia that supplies rebranded aftermarket stuff like this to dealerships and indepedant shops. The specs on this filter are mostly likely the same as a Purolator Classic L14612.

Originally Posted By: labman
Funny how an ST 6607 was recently beaten up for uneven pleats.

I was thinking the same thing. Since it's made by Purolator, uneven pleats is ok.

Nice filter, inexpensive I assume? I don't have an issue with uneven pleats if they haven't shown to affect the integrity of the filter, which I haven't seen yet.

The bigger question is "why is a dealer using a non-OEM filter?". If I'm going to pay dealer prices, I expect factory parts, not some rebadged, potentially inferior, "value-line" product.

Disclaimer...I'm not referring specifically to the filter in question, but I still think they should have used a Kia filter.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
The bigger question is "why is a dealer using a non-OEM filter?". If I'm going to pay dealer prices, I expect factory parts, not some rebadged, potentially inferior, "value-line" product.

I wonder how much the dealer charged for that filter? It's possible this filter is better than the OEM ... but without seeing both side-by-side, that's just a guess.

Originally Posted By: defektes
Originally Posted By: labman
Funny how an ST 6607 was recently beaten up for uneven pleats.

+1

Well, maybe the same "beater uppers" would beat this one up too. Without proof of knowing exactly who beat up the ST, but then didn't beat up this filter is just making up wild accusations.

Originally Posted By: Soobs
TecSELECTS are probably not made to Kia specs, as it's not a Kia oil filter. This filter comes from a parts distributer called Mighty Auto Parts (http://www.mightyautoparts.com) in Georgia that supplies rebranded aftermarket stuff like this to dealerships and indepedant shops. The specs on this filter are mostly likely the same as a Purolator Classic L14612.
My bad, I didn't read the original post that thoroughly. Like I said it could be identical to the Classic, then again the rebranded filters like the old AAP Total grip and PowerFlo's look identical, but have slightly less media. But, it is a Puro and looks very similar to the old Prem. Plus and new Classic.

As far as Mighty Auto Parts goes, AFAIK Champ made there branded filters. There is a post on this board somewhere about the Mighty oil filters, and it might even show a cut open view. And IIRC, I may have cut one open that was installed on daughter's Civic by a quick lube joint in Ga. I could be wrong, but I don't remember that Mighty to be a Purolator, though the TecSELECT clearly is, which btw, I've never heard of before.

And fwiw, I never commented on the few unevenly spaced pleats on the recently posted ST/Fram thread, just don't think it's a big deal. And IMO, the longer version ST#7317, is a decent low priced filter.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord

Disclaimer...I'm not referring specifically to the filter in question, but I still think they should have used a Kia filter.

In my experience Kia dealerships operate very "on the cheap". A buddy of mine that's a Service Advisor for a Nissan dealership says they stock Genuine Nissan oil filters and aftermarket filters because so many people bring their used, other-than-Nissan-brand, cars back for oil changes/service. It would appear that this Kia dealership went strickly aftermarket.

Another interesting thing is the filter they put on isn't even what Purolator would reference for the vehicle. The T4612 = L14612, but Purolator references the longer L14610 for this car. I checked and it doesn't look like Mighty has a TecSELECT with a part # of T4610 (which would be the L14610) so I guess they just called the short one good enough.

In any event, I agree. If you go to a dealer you expect manufacturer qualified mechanics using genuine OEM parts. I'm sure she was overcharged, since the time before that she got her oil changed at a Goodyear shop and they charged her $50 just for an oil change. Amazing.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Found the thread and the Mighty Branded filters are Champ. The Puro made TecSelect must be a separate filter line they carry.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...471#Post1555471

Maybe 7 months ago. I think that filter is clearly a Purolator. No identifying letter stamped on the base plate and the characteristic Purolator bypass. There are still non Ecore Champs around, but that wasn't one of them.

That filter is a Purolator, looks nothing like a champ classic. Looks like the Purolator premium plus' I get from the pep girls discount.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back