"Certified" motor oil from Sam's Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was killing some time on the Sam's Club website and found a brand of 10w30 called "Certified" that they are selling for around $20 a case. Certified also makes a DexMerc for around the same price. After checking the MSDS I found both the oil and atf are made by Sepecialty Oil Company out of Houston Texas. Does anyone have an opinion on this brand? (I did try to search but didn't find anything in the oil sections for this brand).

Specialty Oil is a division of Shell and they make some (most now according to the MSDS) of the Super Tech oils for Walmart.

So does this mean that Warren doesn't make it any more ? (or at least most of it) Where did you find the msds ?

Originally Posted By: JustinC25
So does this mean that Warren doesn't make it any more ? (or at least most of it) Where did you find the msds ?

Go to http://msds.walmartstores.com and type in "Certified" under the product name search. I was a little confused since I have seen MSDS sheets with "SOPUS" on them and this one says "Specialty Oil Company." I wasn't sure if this was the same people.

If this truly is a SOPUS product and is on par with Quaker State dino it's a great bargain at around $1.67 for individual quarts of 10w30. You can also get the DexMerc (also made by Specialty Oil) for about the same price.

Last edited:
I just called the Pennzoil customer service hotline and he confirmed they are the makers of "Certified" oil. The rep said the add pack was similar to QS or PYB but didn't offer any technical information to back up his claim. I would really love to see a VOA on this oil.

A VOA would be interesting. I have a feeling Walmart is having the oil made to just make SM certification, and while it has a "similar add pack" to QS or PYB it is "not the same add pack". JMO

I had a look at this stuff last week at the Sams club. The bottle looks very plain and ugly. Maybe its a sleeper lol!

I drive two cars that take 5 quarts of oil each, and do not burn any oil. What am I going to do with the extra 2 quarts? It would take me buying 3 cases of this stuff to use it up evenly.

Now if they started selling 2 5 quart jugs at sams in a bulk pack, that would be a hot item.

Originally Posted By: JustinC25

All Super Tech oil sold where I live is made by WPP.

I saw it too and passed it by not knowing where/whom it came from. someday I may have to get another membership.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I can't believe more people aren't jumping on this!

Why? Because people aren't jumping at using a cheap oil?

+1 I have learned that cheap can cost u 10x as much in the long run, I cant afford it in my line of work.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I had a look at this stuff last week at the Sams club. The bottle looks very plain and ugly. Maybe its a sleeper lol!

I drive two cars that take 5 quarts of oil each, and do not burn any oil. What am I going to do with the extra 2 quarts? It would take me buying 3 cases of this stuff to use it up evenly.

Now if they started selling 2 5 quart jugs at sams in a bulk pack, that would be a hot item.

You've got to be kidding me. You are complaining about case sizes???

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
+1 I have learned that cheap can cost u 10x as much in the long run, I cant afford it in my line of work.

It's SOPUS oil and GM6094M registered. It's probably factory fill and bulk at any dealer or quick lube that uses SOPUS oil.

I don't see how you could go wrong with it if you are using dino.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Big Lots has ur Warren Oil,,all wgts are 2 dollars a quart, u all hurry.

You'd better not be joking.

He's right-my local Big Lots in NC has Accel SM motor oil for 2.00 per quart and the last time I was there there was plenty to go around. It says WPP right on the bottom of the bottle. I thought about it until I remembered I could get the 5qt jug at Wally's for 9.50 and not have to deal with all those bottles. Happy hunting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back